Stormlight Archive Youtube miniseries

16 hours ago, Alfa said:

The only thing I really could help with is music - I used to compose for fun a couple of years ago and I found a program with which I could midis sound much better. Could upload some examples. Also I have or at least had score perfect, which is more or less Sibelius 

Not that much on the front of speach if you don't want a person which speaks with a heavy German and a light Russian accent at the same time.

If you want to join, just go to the first post, and click on the Discord link. Sign up there please.

16 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Not that I want to ruin the party or anything, but would this be legal? Stormlight does belong to Brandon.

If it is, it's a cool idea though!

It's a fan-made project, we will acknowledge Brandon as the original creator, but we won't be making a profit (besides donations) so there shouldn't be a problem. Even if there was, something tells me Brandon would be humbled and honoured that we are doing this and won't pursue legal action

16 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Brandon has not sponsored it yet, though.

yep, we won't pursue sponsorship or anything until we have something solid to show, that we have done something.

14 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Well, right now it's just a brainstorming: Let's get like-minded people together and see if we can form a competent team.  If we can do that, then we'd actually have something to back up a proposal to Mr. Sanderson.  Instead of proposing a far-fetched dream by some random fans who are completely disorganized and have no real idea what they're doing, we would say: here's what we want to try, we are all set to go, all we need is the go ahead.  Also, no matter what, this is a fan endeavor.  I mean, we're not trying to steal his work to make money off of it, we just want to visualize the books we love so much.  I mean, I doubt this is going to bring us fame or fortune, but we'll have a blast doing it! 

So, what we're doing now is totally fine; no less legal than fan art or fan fiction I would think. Will it work in the end?  I don't know, but then again, we should try!  Life before death, people, come on! :P

@Darkness Ascendant - I propose that we have concrete teams with leaders for each task.  Like a task pyramid, with you "El Directoro", at the top.  SO for example: make @The Young Bard "Director of Music Production", and I'll be like Co-Director or a member of his team.  So I will communicate directly to Young Bard about composing music and what not and HE in turn will defer our final propositions/compositions/ideas to you for approval.  Same thing for Scriptwriting.  Appoint someone Director of Script-writing & Screenplay, and anyone who is interested in joining that team will work with the director.  The director will communicate ideas from the group to YOU.  That way there will be authority, efficiency and hopefully continuity.  What do you think of that idea?

Yes exactly. I have contacted Chaos, to get the word around for this project so more people can come around and help out. Also Tharatariel, have you signed up yet? As for your last quesion, we are attempting at something like that if you check out the Role list at the start of this thread. We ultimately need more people as well as people willing to accept responsibility before we give anyone power or authority.

Thanks 

I just signed up to do voice acting. I'm not sure that I understand this newfangled Discord app you kids are using, but I'll get along. Obviously, I won't be needed for a little while, but I've been interested in voice acting for some time and feel that I could be an asset. I'll follow this thread and everything, and you have my email (through Discord) if you need anything from me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting, but there will likely be some legal issues. If Brandon has already sold the rights to a video version of SA then they have the rights, not him. They are MUCH more likely to pursue legal action. If he hasnt, or if the option will expire soon, go for it. Plan it all you like, just don't produce anything until you are sure someone else doesn't have the rights.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'd do some voice acting, but I'm not gonna sign up until I know if there are going to be legal issues. Wish I could animate... That's the long tough part. I'll get rich and buy some real animators! Problem solved! Oh, I would also be interested in storyboarding and scripting stuff.

Yeah, Brandon technically needs to license you to make an animated series without any copyright issues, but keep in mind, Brandon also technically needs to license you to distribute fanfiction of any type, and we know he doesn't have any problem with written fanfics. Normally if a film option were sold, there would be issues, as I think usually they take all rights except the book rights if the film actually gets made, so if Brandon doesn't license you before then, he won't be able to in the future. I think if you make it clear you're a free adaptation of his work, and you don't attempt to monetize the miniseries in any way, you'd probably be okay so long as there's no film option, and to be really safe, I'd suggest that it's distributed in a way that is outright promotional of Brandon's work. (I would suggest advertising the portrayed novel at the end of scenes) The other hitch is that this gets quite close to what Graphic Audio does, and they're actually licensed, so they might have cause to complain if it doesn't get its own license from Brandon.

If you're interested in going ahead, I'd be happy to try my hand at adapting the Stormlight Archive to a script, which would allow you to start voice acting and might help with storyboarding things. It's not precisely my specialty, but I'm pretty confident I could pull it off. I actually adapted Dune once, (purely for my own purposes) but I unfortunately lost the file in a hard drive failure.

I would actually suggest treating each "book" of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance as a miniseries rather than treating each whole novel as one series. That gives you the arcs naturally. Then if you're in a rush, you can skip the intermissions.

Edited by Ari

1 minute ago, Djarskublar said:

That sounds right. I would definitely be willing to help convert what is happening over to a screenplay. The real question is if we cut out cosmere only things, like the purelake 17th shard interlude.

Gah, I'm quoting you left and right nowadays.
If this does really well, I assume you guys/gals could attempt branching to more of Brandon's works. The cosmere connecting bits are a bit more useful for that side of things, at least in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

The real question is if we cut out cosmere only things, like the purelake 17th shard interlude.

I don't think it's unimportant from SA-only perspective; it introduces the Purelake, and I'd bet the happy worldhopping trio will show up in the future. I'd say keep Cosmere stuff - how much of "pure Cosmere" is there, anyway? I can't think of anything beyond this one Interlude.

I think I've proposed before, over on Discord, to put interludes in beginnings of episodes, disregarding the order in which they were in the book. This would make scenes like this stand out less.

On 20/08/2016 at 2:34 PM, Djarskublar said:

This is interesting, but there will likely be some legal issues. If Brandon has already sold the rights to a video version of SA then they have the rights, not him. They are MUCH more likely to pursue legal action. If he hasnt, or if the option will expire soon, go for it. Plan it all you like, just don't produce anything until you are sure someone else doesn't have the rights.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'd do some voice acting, but I'm not gonna sign up until I know if there are going to be legal issues. Wish I could animate... That's the long tough part. I'll get rich and buy some real animators! Problem solved! Oh, I would also be interested in storyboarding and scripting stuff.

If you would like to come help us, then join us at the discord server invite at OP, and sign up

On 20/08/2016 at 3:23 PM, Ari said:

Yeah, Brandon technically needs to license you to make an animated series without any copyright issues, but keep in mind, Brandon also technically needs to license you to distribute fanfiction of any type, and we know he doesn't have any problem with written fanfics. Normally if a film option were sold, there would be issues, as I think usually they take all rights except the book rights if the film actually gets made, so if Brandon doesn't license you before then, he won't be able to in the future. I think if you make it clear you're a free adaptation of his work, and you don't attempt to monetize the miniseries in any way, you'd probably be okay so long as there's no film option, and to be really safe, I'd suggest that it's distributed in a way that is outright promotional of Brandon's work. (I would suggest advertising the portrayed novel at the end of scenes) The other hitch is that this gets quite close to what Graphic Audio does, and they're actually licensed, so they might have cause to complain if it doesn't get its own license from Brandon.

If you're interested in going ahead, I'd be happy to try my hand at adapting the Stormlight Archive to a script, which would allow you to start voice acting and might help with storyboarding things. It's not precisely my specialty, but I'm pretty confident I could pull it off. I actually adapted Dune once, (purely for my own purposes) but I unfortunately lost the file in a hard drive failure.

I would actually suggest treating each "book" of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance as a miniseries rather than treating each whole novel as one series. That gives you the arcs naturally. Then if you're in a rush, you can skip the intermissions.

I take your point here. If you would like to help out, check out OP. We were going to do them in seasons, but we might end up doing trailers for each book and particular scenes from the books.

13 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

That sounds right. I would definitely be willing to help convert what is happening over to a screenplay. The real question is if we cut out cosmere only things, like the purelake 17th shard interlude.

Well @Darkness Ascendant I guess it's up to you to see if there are licensing issues.

It is indeed, we might contact @PeterAhlstrom

and @Rasarr, I have indeed taken your request into consideration, and if we ended up doing the whole book, then we will put the interludes first. 

Sure, done, I'll idle in the relevant channel and see if we can't get this thing set up to get started. If you're focusing on a trailer that sidesteps the issue of licenses for now, anyway, as I've never heard of an author having a problem with a fan book trailer, and that's essentially what we'd be doing to start off.

Okay. It might be a few days before I can hop on the band wagon. But, anyway. . . Alcatraz release ink Utah happening Sept 6, if anyone wants to hop over there and ask Brandon (unless we've decidea to wait a few more months before doing so.)

• Chaos locked this topic