I request assistance with some magic systems

Stormgate

Note: I came up with the bulk of this before I discovered Sanderson. Then I realized I was creating the Cosmere, Mistborn, and a bit of SA mixed together. I have stopped caring about that point.

Long ago, when men were just beginning to discover fire, two forces discovered the Earth, long rivals, and there decided to fight their conflict. The forces took the form of gemstones, the Diamond of Creation, and the Ruby of Chaos. 

The gems each gave men powers, which were used to fight the chosen warriors of the other. 

The fight went on for millennia.

Until one day, the Diamond looked out, and saw the destruction caused by the war, and, under the grief of the chaos, broke. 

It broke into four pieces, which became their own gemstones: The Emerald of Power, the Sapphire of Wisdom, the Topaz of Strength, and the Amethyst of Swiftness. These pieces, not fully sentient on their own, sought out individuals who could help fight the Ruby. 

This fight now went on, but changed. The four gemstones each built up societies around their own Intent (not married to the term), and the fight now favored the Gemkeepers, as they were called. Human ingenuity and greater numbers proved the downfall of the Ruby.

Unable to destroy the pure power of destruction, the Gemkeepers constructed a near-impenetrable prison. Then, not naive enough to think it would hold forever, provided ways to create armies of the civilizations they were the patron of, giving them powers beyond that known by men, to prepare for the last conflict.

The Topaz, seeking to create warriors, gave them power over metal, to make it liquid in form and control it like their own flesh.

The Amethyst, seeking to create beings of grace and stealth gave men hmm...some kind of super speed?

The Emerald, seeking to create masters of politics and war alike, gave men With this...I got nothing.

The Sapphire, seeking to create strategists, scholars, and all manner of men of wisdom, gave men Uhh...some kind of storm control??

I need help with the magic systems for Emerald, Sapphire, and Amethyst. As of now, I have nothing worth writing about.

First off, this is pretty cool. Second off, you had better write fast before Brandon takes all the remaining good ideas... :ph34r:

As for my suggestions, just based off your limited description:

16 hours ago, Stormgate said:

The Amethyst, seeking to create beings of grace and stealth gave men hmm...some kind of super speed?

How about some kind of shadow manipulation? E.g., step into one shadow and appear somewhere else, bend them around you to cloak your form in darkness and increase your strength, etc. It would be interesting to see the usually sinister shadow-related powers be used for good for once, but could also help foster mistrust and intra-faction conflict to make your world more interesting.

The Emerald, seeking to create masters of politics and war alike, gave men With this...I got nothing.

How about some kind of telepathy and/or limited mind control/reading ability? Long-distance communication, some form of control over others' actions or at least the ability to gauge their intentions, or perhaps to command semi-sentient automatons that this faction makes (think koloss)??? In any event, something mind-based seems appropriate here, and could also feed into the intra-faction conflict thing if you want to go that route.

The Sapphire, seeking to create strategists, scholars, and all manner of men of wisdom, gave men Uhh...some kind of storm control??

I don't know how attached you are to the storm-based thing, but it seems like a perception enhancement of some kind would fit best with the archetypes you mentioned...Perhaps it could be cloud-related somehow (store data in the cloud, literally)? This one definitely seems the hardest to fit specific power to such a diverse group.

Ohh, I like the shadow manipulation. I'm going to toss the mind control idea around, see what I can do. I'm liking the remote control automatons. I'm thinking about giving the Sapphires the ability to see the future, present, past, and what could be. But not all at once, more like Mistings.

The amethyst just screams for shadows. I mean, it immediately came to my mind. Also, the color kinda matches :ph34r:

The sapphire... how about the power to temporarily free your mind of its own constraints? A moment of non-restricted transcendense (like going mad for a moment). A literal brainstorm. Ability to think clearly and not care for anything that could constrain it.

A madman is not someone who lost his reason but someone who has lost everything but his reason. Chesterton.

Edited by Oversleep

I really like combining weather with mind stuff for the sapphire. Like Oversleep mentioned: literally storing memories in a cloud, maybe surveillance through clouds, a literal brainstorm... 'weather' reports? Seeing the future and all that.

Maybe some fire or light stuff for the emerald? Politicians need to be seen, light helps them be seen, fire could also power the automotons, if you are going that road.

It's weird, I had some ideas involving light for Emerald, and shadow for Amethyst, but both not developed enough to be usable. Using clouds to spy would be interesting, using them to teleport could lead to some dramatic enterances and exits in the fog...

Thanks for the help, I basically needed something to start thinking about.

• 3 weeks later...