Gleaning from non-Cosmere

Stormgate

I have noticed that there are some element similarities between the Cosmere and non-Cosmere books. I'm not saying that they are actually connected, but there are similarities.

In Reckoners and Alcatraz, there are supernatural abilities, and methods to make those abilities accessible to more people, similar to Fabrials. (The motivators and the Oculator glasses)

In Rithmatist, there is a supernatural bond with a foreign creature that grants power, used to stop similar, more dangerous opponents.

Basically, using details that Sanderson has about magic systems in non-Cosmere books, we may be able to extrapolate other things about the Cosmere.

Edited by Stormgate

7 hours ago, Stormgate said:

I have noticed that there are some element similarities between the Cosmere and non-Cosmere books. I'm not saying that they are actually connected, but there are similarities.

In Reckoners and Alcatraz, there are supernatural abilities, and methods to make those abilities accessible to more people, similar to Fabrials. (The motivators and the Oculator glasses)

In Rithmatist, there is a supernatural bond with a foreign creature that grants power, used to stop similar, more dangerous opponents.

Basically, using details that Sanderson has about magic systems in non-Cosmere books, we may be able to extrapolate other things about the Cosmere.

I don't know about the others, but the Rithmatist similarities come from the fact that Sanderson first intended to have it as Cosmere, but later decided that he didn't want earth to be Cosmere.

I would definitely be careful with trying to glean too much. I'm sure he's done stories as non-cosmere because the magic doesn't fit his magical Grand Unified Theory before, as well as for thematic reasons.

On 26 July 2016 at 10:26 PM, Ari said:

I would definitely be careful with trying to glean too much. I'm sure he's done stories as non-cosmere because the magic doesn't fit his magical Grand Unified Theory before, as well as for thematic reasons.

I think what you can glean the most from non-cosmere is the writing patterns that exist in them. Sure, the magic may not be similar, but the patterns that plot and character arcs take can give you information about what Sanderson tends to prefer to do with his writing.

There's also the magic system in Alcatraz. It being free writing, more things are likely to bleed through. The Talents are separated into the physical world, space, time, and knowledge. Perhaps similar to the four Allomantic quadrants.

On 3/08/2016 at 11:38 AM, CalypsoDreaming said:

I think what you can glean the most from non-cosmere is the writing patterns that exist in them. Sure, the magic may not be similar, but the patterns that plot and character arcs take can give you information about what Sanderson tends to prefer to do with his writing.

I figured that much was obvious? :)

• Chaos locked this topic