Why is Kelsier "More of Ruin?"

Radiant Returned

In SH the reason Kelsier is unable to fully take on Preservation's power is because he has such close ties to Ruin. While I understand Ruin has been manipulating Kelsier his entire life, a lot of Kelsier's "accomplishments" ended up helping Ruin, and Kelsier's personality is more closely similar to the Intent of Ruin than Preservation, the actual POWER that saves Kelsier's cognitive self and keeps him alive is the power of Preservation. So now that he was in the cognitive realm wouldn't he be more closely tied to Preservation? Maybe I'm missing something or undervaluing how big a connection Ruin and Kelsier have. If anyone has a better explanation I'd love to hear it. 

Probably is just about his personality, action and history.

He may be within the Well and his Soul may be expanded a bit with Preservation's power... But this didn't change too much his Connection. Also after that he was an agent of caos aganist Ruin.

Then just a last point, from Kelsier's Point of View... His Connection to Preservation is a lot of time weaker than his Connection to Ruin... But this may be meaningless in absolutes (He may see only the relative amount of Ruin and Preservation's Connections to him).

We know that Kelsier as Mistborn have a strong Connection to Preservation....This mean that he has an Huge Connection to Ruin.

Connection is still largely a mystery to us. I mean, it was only fairly recently we really learned even one instance of what storing/tapping or otherwise changing Connection would actually do, and we don't really know how Connection forms or why some people would be connected to a particular Shard. Obviously there are some strong indications like with Kelsier, but all those do is illustrate how little we really understand about the Realmatics of how that works.

jW

18 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

In SH the reason Kelsier is unable to fully take on Preservation's power is because he has such close ties to Ruin. While I understand Ruin has been manipulating Kelsier his entire life, a lot of Kelsier's "accomplishments" ended up helping Ruin, and Kelsier's personality is more closely similar to the Intent of Ruin than Preservation, the actual POWER that saves Kelsier's cognitive self and keeps him alive is the power of Preservation. So now that he was in the cognitive realm wouldn't he be more closely tied to Preservation? Maybe I'm missing something or undervaluing how big a connection Ruin and Kelsier have. If anyone has a better explanation I'd love to hear it. 

Except having a bunch of Preservation's power plugged into you isn't enough to stop you being connected to Ruin, or even to give your personality any basic compatibility with Preservation. Kelsier is an agent of chaos, wanting to change things, and has neither the serenity of Sazed that allowed him to connect to both shards, nor did he have Vin's instinct to protect and her ability to see past the way people had wronged her and see, for instance, that nobles were a necessary part of Scadrian society as it was.

Think of it like someone cheating on a partner they really love. Their connection to the person they love is still there, despite the fact that they've done some ostensibly might connect them to the person they cheated with. Kelsier needed the Ire's device because he would need to get over all his beliefs that tie into Ruin and start appreciating changelessness or at least conserving the good about how things are now before he developed any connection to Preservation.

• Chaos locked this topic