Can Windrunner lash a Hemurgic Spike

When you say lashing, do you mean using adhesion as a full lashing or gravitation to lash an object to yourself?

If I recall correctly, spikes and metalminds in Mistborn couldn't be affected by allomancy due to the investiture inside, right? 

However, if you were to use lashing, I don't see why not. Adhesion and Gravitation are physical forces, not magical ones, so it doesn't matter how much investiture is in something, gravity still affects it. Same goes for adhesion. 

Someone tell me if theres' a WoB contradicting me.

Edited by Doctor12

1 hour ago, Doctor12 said:

However, if you were to use lashing, I don't see why not. Adhesion and Gravitation are physical forces, not magical ones, so it doesn't matter how much investiture is in something, gravity still affects it. Same goes for adhesion. 

You can't lash someone in shardplate, so there is more to it. Whether this is because shardplate is full of Investiture or not, we don't yet know, but it seems likely.

6 minutes ago, Eki said:

You can't lash someone in shardplate, so there is more to it. Whether this is because shardplate is full of Investiture or not, we don't yet know, but it seems likely.

Darn. I stand corrected

A Spike creates some Investiture intereference but the Hemalurgy is a low investiture magic System (it's the reason that made possible to use an Hemalurgic Spike as Metalmind like the Inquisitors do)

Probably you may lash a Spike but your Lashing will last less than a standard invested object. A metalmind would be probably harder to lash (depending of the Feruchemical Charge)

Relevant WoB's:

ZENITH

Szeth mentions that Lashings don't work with shardplate (on?). Is there any way to get around this (As in, lashing with shardplate on, or lashing people with shardplate on), and, if so, does it have anything to do with the Knights Radiant and/or their ideals?

BRANDON SANDERSON

This has to do with the nature of the magics in the cosmere. They interfere with one another. Something that contains a lot of power--we call it investiture--resists the efforts of magic to influence it. A strong spirit can interfere as well
(Source)

HEROWANNABE

I’m curious, I’ve got a list of various cosmere bits of metal, and I wonder if you would rank them from like 1 to 10 or easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them?

HEROWANNABE

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy? Not in a person.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not in a person? It depends on how strong—yeah. A spike is moderately—in the realm of these sorts of things—moderately easy to push on, because a spike does not rip off very much investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and it loses that over time. So I would put that at the bottom—with the top being very hard—to be one of the easier things.

(Source) (edited for relevancy, emphasis mine)

Edited by Emerald101
formatting

Just my opinion. Nvm and correct me if I'm wrong:

It's hard to Invest something Investitured. However Surgebinding aren't, in my perspective, really investing the object itself. It's more like... concentrate the stormlight on one object, then turn the stormlight into Surges, and the Surges (basically from the outside of that object) will then have its effects on the object. So technically the object is invested, but not Investitured.

It's the target of Investiture, but it would eventually not contain Investiture. I believe that's how Surgebindings work.

On the other hand, iirc, why you can't lash Shardplates is because Shardplates are installed gemstones, which will absorb or interfere the stormlight, thus make Lashings malfunction.

So back to the Spikes topic, I believe it's available to Lash the Hemalurgic even Feruchemical spikes, as the stormlight doesn't directly Invest 'em when being Surgebinded. However it would be harder to Invest the more Invested one. For the interference law still exists.

OK, bearing in mind that I accept the influence/interference of the investiture innate in an object on another, I cannot help but wonder at/if there is an area effect limit.

Consider someone: surgebinder or ardent with a fabrial, got hold of nightblood (or a haemalergic spike to reduce the values of energy required. For the record, I'm in the minority who'd prefer nightblood) and soulcast the air around it into stone.

How much stone would their have to be to negate the innate resistance to movement by lashing of the rock?

Would the invested items "weight" just add to it, or would there be a point whereby you could consider it just a rock? I would think that there would have to be so that begs the question, can we quantify this relationship?

Please suspend disbelief/that would never happen for the next part.

Put a more gruesome way, a steel inquisitor shows up on Roshar. Kaladin does not like the look of him. Hoid says it's got a spike the size of a kidney stone in it's kidney because Kal's father put it there. Could Kaladin remove it by lashing the kidney?

If not, and if there was a handy sized rock directly behind the inquisitor, could Kaladin lash the rock in a direct line through it? Or would the invested item act as a dampening field / blind spot?

Edited by el_warko
Nannas and clarity

@Sam Script 

I disagree. Do allomantic pushes/pulls invest the object they're pushing/pulling on? No, they target it. Does the investiture in an object still interfere with it being affected by allomancy? Yes. When Brandon says that magic systems "interfere with one another" that doesn't just mean that it's hard to invest an already invested object, but that it's hard to magically affect an invested object in any way.

• Chaos locked this topic