Blue Lines to the stars

Asasasyn in White

Allomancers, even powerful Mistborn, seem to be constrained in how distant sources of metal they can sense. It's not an eyesight restriction either, we've seen lines disappear off into the mists. So I doubt anyone can detect the metals in the cores of stars.

1 minute ago, Alfa said:

Do we know if Feruchemical tin enhances metal-sight? If so, probably with tin compounding and steelsight/ironsight there would be possibilities.

Steellines/Ironlines are Spiritual in nature. I don't think Tin would be capable to enhance it

2 hours ago, Yata said:

Steellines/Ironlines are Spiritual in nature. I don't think Tin would be capable to enhance it

Feruchemical tin not, but I always wondered about fduraluminium. But even if we make a mistborn eat a carriage full of lerasium and then spike him with additional Allomantic steel/Allomantic iron and even (BoM spoilers)

throw in spikes for Compounding nicrosil

, the sun is way too distant. I doubt he would even have range above ten kilometres.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a star contain little to no iron? Because iron takes energy to create through fusion, it could cause a star to go (super)nova. If a star with such a high amount of iron that it is visible from Scandrial excists, the planet would probably be in a lot of trouble.

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a star contain little to no iron? Because iron takes energy to create through fusion, it could cause a star to go (super)nova. If a star with such a high amount of iron that it is visible from Scandrial excists, the planet would probably be in a lot of trouble.

You are correct, but iron is not the only metal produced during stellar nucleosynthesis. Lithium, magnesium, and copper can (I believe) all be produced in different types of stars, and those should be visible to an Allomancer (sans the distance).

3 hours ago, Argent said:

You are correct, but iron is not the only metal produced during stellar nucleosynthesis. Lithium, magnesium, and copper can (I believe) all be produced in different types of stars, and those should be visible to an Allomancer (sans the distance).

Alright, thanks. When in the lifetime of the star do those form? Near the end or always?

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Alright, thanks. When in the lifetime of the star do those form? Near the end or always?

A star burns as fuel the lightest element it has. At the beginning it burns Hydrogen, then Helium and then go further with the next element when the previous ends. A lesser star will stop at the iron, but bigger/hotter one may keeps its Nuclear Fusion.... Any heavier elements comes from "rare" explosions called Supernovas (rare but with Billions of billions of Star...there were a lot of Supernovas)

I can't say how much time it took to began to create metals also because different star burns at different rate...but our sun is 5 billions of years old and it burns still hydrogen. From another 5 billions of years it would reachs its own end stopping his Nuclear Fusion to the iron

Edited by Yata

Stars create little to no metals unless they are very massive and very old. Main-sequence stars turn hydrogen into helium; more massive/older ones fuse helium into carbon, and carbon into oxygen (still no metals); only the most massive actually burn neon and create magnesium (but still very, very little compared to the total size of the star), or create iron moments before going supernova--all other metals in the universe are created by those stars in their final instants, as loose neutrons flood the core and transmute iron into heavier elements. Likewise, all of the current generation of stars contain some trace metals (mostly lithium from primordial nucleosynthesis), but still vanishingly small amounts respective to their mass (e.g., 0.1-0.3% is considered a high enough concentration to mark the star as fairly unique).

Given stars' low metallicity and the fact that interstellar distances are mind-bogglingly vast, it would be incredibly impractical to push or pull on them; you could sooner deorbit planets, moons, or comets than touch other stars.

Which makes me mourn for Inquisitors (well, Marsh, really.)  He can see lots of things, but he can't see sunrises or sunsets any more.  And museums of fine art must baffle him no end.

Which also makes me wonder if there were ever any artistic Inquisitors, which produce art which other Inquisitors can appreciate.  I imagine it would be very subtle.

9 hours ago, happyman said:

Which also makes me wonder if there were ever any artistic Inquisitors, which produce art which other Inquisitors can appreciate.  I imagine it would be very subtle.

A steel/iron savant pushes his understanding of the blues line further. To the point he may recognize forms and with a little effort colors.

Edited by Yata

1 minute ago, Elendtheking said:

Where has this been stated?

HoA, when Marsh gets the spike to spike Penrod. He sees a picture on the wall in a house of a minor smoker noble.

50 minutes ago, Elendtheking said:

Where has this been stated?

Like Alfa said, Marsh for example notices how also without normal sight, He still have a pretty good "visual" sight... Every Inquisitor is forced to burn always iron or steel and they develop Savantism in those metal pretty fast....A very Skilled savant may began to notice always littler piece of metal and trace inside objects... At his peak they began to "see" quite everything metal or not 

6 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

Have you read the first trilogy? Marsh can see the iron in blood. So if he can detect those small amounts of metal, then why wouldn't he be able to detect trace metals in objects? Steel Inquisitors can see people with no metal on them, can't they?

If this is in reference to the stars then I would say because of the mind-boggling distance between Marsh and the star. If it is referring to something else then please disregard this comment haha

• Chaos locked this topic