Are Splinters tied to their world?

There will be discussions using Secret History beyond, proceed at your own risk.

So we know that Shards once invested in a world would find it extremely difficult to leave their world. In Secret History we witness our very first on screen worldhop. Kelsier leaves the confines of Scadrial and wanders the void between realms for a bit. the further away from Scadrial he got the tighter his Spiritual tether became. This I assume is because he has a bit of the Investiture of the Shards in him like all Scadrians. The amount was not enough to prevent him from leaving just enough to make some discomfort.

I am wondering if the spiritual gravity of a world would be stronger on a Splinter. We know a Splinter can overcome the same pull that Kelsier  did because Vasher is on Roshar. What I am wondering is if it is possible for a Splinter like a Seon or Spren would be able to do it.

We have been told by Brandon that a Seon on Roshar would act much like a Nahel Spren. I just want to know if it is at all possible to see something like that in a future book.

1 hour ago, TwelfthOfSnackTime said:

Kelsier leaves the confines of Scadrial and wanders the void between realms for a bit. the further away from Scadrial he got the tighter his Spiritual tether became. This I assume is because he has a bit of the Investiture of the Shards in him like all Scadrians.

I am not sure we can conclusively say that the tether is due to Shardic Investiture. As far as I know there is no canonical reason yet for the tether - only speculation.

Possible. Splinters are tied with Shardworlds, since we have WoB that it's very difficult for sprens to leave Shadesmar areas to other Expanses. The bond btwn splinters and their homeland might be quite strong.

But I don't think it's because of Investiture. Kelsier is a kind of Innate Investiture for all the Scadrian are invested by Preservation at first. And Vasher, as a Returned, is kinda Innate Investiture, too. Therefore, even tge Innate Investiture is not the reason for being unable to leave born Shardworlds.

Maybe why Kel couldn't leave is because he had become Cognitive. CogRealm seems to be pretty strict on these issues.

As far as we know Kelsier when he arrives to Ire's base is still in Scadrial's Cognitive Realm just really near to its borders.

I think a Splinter bonded with another being may overcome the pulling effect of his Homeland thanks to its tie with the partner (like an anchor).

Well, there's this:

Q: So since its one big place, could spren travel to a different section that correlates with a different planet, such as the cognitive segment for Scadrial?

A: They could do there, but they wouldn't usually...

Source.

• Chaos locked this topic