SweetLift

i have been thinking and reading several threads have led me to think about the visions.  A death rattle was recorded by an individual known to have visions during high storms. Gavilar had them (is there actual proof of that?) and Dalinar has them. Can multiple people have these visions? Are they the same for everyone? How does a vision work? It seems that Dalinar can interact very specifically with his visions.  He can fight beasts, the radiant notices his skill at fighting and tells him to go to Urithiru to become a radiant.  Does this have an impact on the past or the man (Heb?) who's body he was in during the vision? Did he influence Nohadon to write the Way of Kings?  Is there more to this than we have seen so far?

35 minutes ago, SweetLift said:

i have been thinking and reading several threads have led me to think about the visions.  A death rattle was recorded by an individual known to have visions during high storms. Gavilar had them (is there actual proof of that?) and Dalinar has them. Can multiple people have these visions? Are they the same for everyone? How does a vision work? It seems that Dalinar can interact very specifically with his visions.  He can fight beasts, the radiant notices his skill at fighting and tells him to go to Urithiru to become a radiant.  Does this have an impact on the past or the man (Heb?) who's body he was in during the vision? Did he influence Nohadon to write the Way of Kings?  Is there more to this than we have seen so far?

I thought that the visions were more like recorded messages from Honor to Dalinar.

if there is a relation between highstorm visions and death rattles, it's not an easy one. among the epigraphs of the first book there is one death rattle coming from a person who reportedly had visions during highstorms. So, multiple people had visions from the almighty, and they can produce death rattles. but clearly not everyone who makes death rattles  has visions too: they wouldn't have marked out the guy who had them otherwise.

I don't think there is any relation between visions and death rattles. The death rattles are fairly explicitly stated to come from Unmade Moelach, whereas the visions are sendings from the Almighty, passed to Dalinar by Stormfather. I suppose the visions coming in highstorms, and thus at the same time for everyone, come from the fact that only then is the air saturated with Stormlight enough for Stormfather to be capable of "broadcasting" those visions to Dalinar, Gavilar and, maybe, Kaladin. 

As for how visions work, I understand them to be something akin to Assassin's Creed's Animus. You can enter memories and interact with them to some extent, provided you don't go off the rails too much, but at the end of the day they're just that - memories of something long past. The minor changes you make in your vision won't impact what's already happened. 

Edited by Rasarr

I didn't mean to say there is a link between the death rattles and visions. Just remembered that there was someone  noted as seeing visions and he happened to be someone that ended up having a death rattle. I didn't know own how to identify him. I am in terms Ted in what his rattle but not as it relates to visions. Hope that clarifies...

31 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

I don't think there is any relation between visions and death rattles. The death rattles are fairly explicitly stated to come from Unmade Moelach, whereas the visions are sendings from the Almighty, passed to Dalinar by Stormfather. I suppose the visions coming in highstorms, and thus at the same time for everyone, come from the fact that only then is the air saturated with Stormlight enough for Stormfather to be capable of "broadcasting" those visions to Dalinar, Gavilar and, maybe, Kaladin. 

As for how visions work, I understand them to be something akin to Assassin's Creed's Animus. You can enter memories and interact with them to some extent, provided you don't go off the rails too much, but at the end of the day they're just that - memories of something long past. The minor changes you make in your vision won't impact what's already happened. 

So multiple people can receive the message  (like the idea of the storm broadcasting messages). Is the message the same for everyone or is it possible there are multiple messages being broadcast? I thought Kal riding the storm was an 'advantage' or perk of his bond with Syl, rather than receiving a general message; it seems more specific. For example, when he is stuck in  the high storm in the chasm with Shallan. The storm father speaks directly to him. And he also speaks directly to Eshonai  (sp)

Well, how many bond smiths will there be, I got the impression it was a small order of 3 or 4. Also the visions and death rattles are similar but not the same the visions are through honors power and the death rattles are of cultivation.  I say that because the storm father says he's not good at divination and that cultivation was always better at it. Also if we look at the two the death rattles are either current events or the future while the visions are of the past. Which one would think it a easier to recall than precall. 

The Death Rattles are actually of Odium, not Honor or Cultivation. They are the result of the presence of one of the Unmade, Moelach. It seems to be a sort of area of affect thing. Here's a quote on it from the Chapter 82 epigraph of Words of Radiance.

There is one you will watch. Though all of them have some relevance to precognition, Moelach is one of the most powerful in this regard. His touch seeps into a soul as it breaks apart from the body, creating manifestations powered by the spark of death itself. But no, this is a distraction. Deviation. Kingship. We must discuss the nature of kingship.

—From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Desk Drawer: paragraph 15

Taravangian makes it quite clear in his interlude that this "manifestation" is the Death Rattles.

Edited by Windrunner
Typo

10 hours ago, Windrunner said:

Nergaoul

I think you meant Moelach.

Interesting to note that T tries to hang around near Moelach for the death rattles. Makes him more susceptible to influence, I would think.

• Chaos locked this topic