Theory: Somebody (Hoid?) bonded Adonalsium

Farnsworth

Okay, here's a weird theory. 

There is a Jordancon WOB saying that Adonalsium is like a big spren.

Q: So the Nightwatcher is a spren?

A: They call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That’s what they would call...that’s what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive. So they would call Nightblood a spren. That’s the word for what all of these things are. They would probably call Adonalsium a spren. [Laughter] If...Right...So.

So, Adonalsium could be a spren, then somebody could bond with Adonalsium. I don't know who, but I would suggest Hoid since he seems to regret something and if he bonded with Adonalsium, he might be responsible for his shattering. Also, Hoid seems to be involved with everything. But, it could be anybody. My theory is, whoever bonded Adonalsium betrayed him, and that resulted in the shattering of Adonalsium. 

I thought the main meaning of the quote was that " A spren is Investiture that is alive", so Adonalsium would definitely fit those two categories. Also, it seems likely that if Adonalsium was a spren, somebody would do what you do to spren, which is bond.

Context matters. Brandon is saying that "spren" is ROshar-ese for Investiture that is alive. He is not saying it is Cosmere/Realmatics terminology. If it it was, we would have read about "spren" in at least some the Ars Arcanum in books published before TWoK. It's a Roshar term, not a Realmatics one.

Roshar popolation lives their entire lives with the Spren.

It's normal to them call the living Investiture "Spren", but this doesn't mean they know what they are calling. For example, they will Call every Shard... "Spren" but in the end they considerate the Allmighty a god and not a Spren, probably because they have a twisted view of the Realmatic Theory.

We know instead that a Spren is Splinter. and we know a Splinter is an amount of Investiture who develops selfawares..... With this logic a Shard can't be a Spren because it "take" his mind from someone else

It's just the matter of terminology. Maybe because of my cultural background, I would say that they are basically the same thing, just different in their sizes.

Adonalsium? Sentient investiture.

Shard divines? Sentient investiture.

Splinters? Except for Breaths, sentient investiture. (Breaths might grow sentient as well, if leaving man body long enough)

Shards are from Adonalsium, and splinters are from Shards. They are basically all the same, just about the big scale or small.

All of above has their own intents. They just shrink to the smaller ideals.

It might be too idealistic, but I mean BASICALLY. Undoubtedly they should be considered different when discussing, but they are really close in their properties.

1 hour ago, Sam Script said:

Adonalsium? Sentient investiture.

Shard divines? Sentient investiture.

Splinters? Except for Breaths, sentient investiture. (Breaths might grow sentient as well, if leaving man body long enough)

The problem is that (I can't say for Adonalsium) a Shard isn't Sentient Investiture, it need an outside mind (a Vessel) to use the power.

A Splinter instead for definition is sentient from his own... Probably also the Divine Breath are sentient at some level.

As last thing you may notice the difference between an Adonalsium's Shard and an Adonalsium's Splinter... They aren't the same thing only bigger (or smaller), there are difference between them other than raw power

4 hours ago, Yata said:

The problem is that (I can't say for Adonalsium) a Shard isn't Sentient Investiture, it need an outside mind (a Vessel) to use the power.

I emphasized it to be Shard DIVINE, not Shard Power, which means the power and vessel both.

4 hours ago, Yata said:

...the difference between an Adonalsium's Shard and an Adonalsium's Splinter... They aren't the same thing only bigger (or smaller), there are difference between them other than raw power

Adonalsium's splinters would have their own intents, too.

As we know that Investiture in stable states will gradually grow sentient, if there had been no 16 taking the Shards, the Shard Power would have grown into their self-awareness as well.

So they are basically the same, in philosophy. Though in our discussion they really should be considered quite different.

Well my opinion is actually redundant on this topic, sorry:3

I do not think Brandon has ever mentioned a vessel. We do know that Adonalsium is a "he" though. We also know the he was traveling around creating/influencing stuff, such as the greater Roshar system. And Hoid and Frost also seem to have known him. As far as I know we do not have any indication that Adonalsium was a shard+vessel, but we do have hints that that is not the case. Not sure if we have enough to consider it proven though.

• Chaos locked this topic