DC Rebirth

Quiver

Well, we have a Marvel thread, might as well open the DC equivalent.

For those who don't know, Rebirth is the name of DC's latest publishing initiative, aiming at reintroducing old concepts and history back into the DCU.

In practical terms? DC is releasing one-shots for each character establishing new creative teams and status quos for each comic. Basically, if you want to get into comics but aren't sure where to start, this should be the place.

For those who are following this...anyone picked any books up?

Superman

I've wanted to read the Superfamily for a while, but I've always had the problem that...well...they aren't very good. The new status quo, however, sounded interesting enough that I'll be picking up that one shots for each book to see how they go.

This issue is about Superman, awaiting the Rebirth of Superman. Not a figurative one, a literal one. See, the first Superman is a Pre-flashpoint Superman in his thirties or forties who married Lois Lane and has found themselves and their son in the current DCU, whose Superman just died and-

Yeah.

As far as setting up a status quo, this isn't great. The fact there are two versions of Superman isn't really gone into in great detail.

Having said that, it is effective as a closing chapter for the story of the Superman of the New 52. I definitely share Superdad's reaction towards the Fortress of Solitude...but this feels more like wrapping up the last era than starting a new one.

Still, I like the idea of an adult Superman, so, I'll see how the series proper goes.

Green Arrow

It's no secret I'm an Arrow fan, just as it's no secret that show has been having issues for the last few years. Sadly, those issues have been carried over to the comics for awhile now. The last Green Arrow was written by Ben Percy, and was...well, bad enough that I dropped it after the first arc.

Green Arrow Rebirth see's the continuation of Percy as writer, and...

Honestly, it's not so bad.

Oh, it's not perfect by any stretch. Percy's dialogue can still be cheesy as all heck, and Oliver's "There's a room in my heart" speech is hilarious rather than intimidating. There's also the problem that Ollie isn't as loud and abrasive, which makes Black Canary come across more as a jerk in her attitude than I think was intended...

But honestly, it was a solid piece. The new art style really helped to sell the horror vibe the script was trying to sell, and it actually produces villains who fit very elegantly into the DCU.

Speaking of, they aren't named, but the spindly legs and twisted features really remind me of the Silence. As I say, it's basically a horror story, which works.

Can Percy sustain that quality? I dunno. But I'm prepared to give him a chance again, at least.

Edited by Quiver

I haven't picked any of the issues up (in large parts because I'm stingy with my money :ph34r: ) and want to wait and see how this goes first but the mission statement of Rebirth does sound promising, so here's hoping. Just look at all the colors. (Although I'm not sure how i feel about Watchman/ Dr. Manhattan being dragged into this.)

Edited by Edgedancer

Money is a concern. A whole bunch of DC's books are moving to twice monthly schedules, including ones I'm planning on picking up. Odd's are pretty good my pull list will get culled very quickly.

As for Watchmen...

I kind of like it as a meta conceit...but the issue with that is, if we start looking at it in meta terms, we have to keep looking at it as such. Which means taking Alan Moore's contentious relationship with DC, the publishing rights and the fact that the guys who are ushering the Rebirth era are the same guys who made things dark to emulate him, and...

Yes. There are...issues. But I'm cautiously optimistic?

Edited by Quiver

I haven't picked any of the issues up (in large parts because I'm stingy with my money :ph34r: ) and want to wait and see how this goes first but the mission statement of Rebirth does sound promising, so here's hoping. Just look at all the colors. (Although I'm not sure how i feel about Watchman/ Dr. Manhattan being dragged into this.)

Yeah, that last part actually kinda irks me. I hate when an otherwise self contained comic sorry gets invaded by a corporate comic universe...grrr...

It'll be a while until I join in, since I'm only interested in the Blue Beetle :D

Yeah, that last part actually kinda irks me. I hate when an otherwise self contained comic sorry gets invaded by a corporate comic universe...grrr...

It'll be a while until I join in, since I'm only interested in the Blue Beetle :D

There is some irony that the initiative to bring hope, heroism and all that back to DC contains a fairly blatant money/rights manouver in it. I wouldn't exactly blame DC for it, they are a buisness after all but that doesn't mean i like it.

Oh yeah, he needs some love after the New 52.

I tried to catch up with what is happening in the comics... You see, I don't know very much, the last I checked it was Flashpoint event and then DC52 craziness (Flash carried a letter from Thomas!Batman to Bruce!Batman, but in JL:War he didn't know Batman. I'm confused.)

and then there was some craziness about Bruce dying and losing memory and Gordon shaving and becoming RoboBatman and Superman being exposed and losing powers and locking himself in a box full of kryptonite which gave him powers and there was also something about Darkseid being killed and New Gods being replaced be Leaguers and Luthor becoming Darkseid 2.0...

... and at that point I had to lay down and wait until my head stops hurting.

... and wasn't there something about god!Doom fighting God!Batman or some such...?

... and now Dr. Manhattan is showing up and what's he doing exactly?

Edited by Oversleep

Action Comics

isn't a Rebirth one shot, but they are still selling it cheap like the others, so...

It was good.it follows pretty directly from Superman Rebirth, and as I said there, the status quo intrigues me. Lex as a superhero, adopting Superman as his identity is a really fun, odious idea; his speech talking about how great Superman was, capping it off with the kind of man Metropolis really needs is masterfully slimy.

The arc is setting itself up as a riff of the Death and Return of Superman from the 90's, with Clark Kent (seemingly) alive again while other characters adopt his identity. It could be an interesting premise.

Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman is one of those characters I've always wanted to read, but never knew where to start. Unlike Bats or Supes, Wondy doesn't have a spotlight, signature storyline or a run you can point to.

She has good runs, of course! But no standalone tale like Dark Knight Returns or Kingdom Come that people can point to and say 'That's how you write Wonder Woman'. It's led to her being the most divisive member of the Trinity; how far do you push the warrior culture mentality, etc.

Wonder Woman Rebirth addresses these concerns directly, with the repeated mantra of 'The story keeps changing'. The competing cuts between the New 52 origin and the classic emphasise that, though the story seems to come down more against the New 52 run, with that era's costume being thrown away and the Helmet of War that is a sign of her status quo being crumpled as a lie.

I admit, what I saw of the Azzarello run, I liked, s having it all being discarded is annoying. There's also the issue that this means we are getting another retread of Wonder Woman's Origin, after having had Odyssey and the New 52 retcon in recent years.

Still, I'm.invested. Rucka's narration is strong, with the early parts of it sounding almost like depression, while the latter is a reaffirmation of everything that matters.

And the artwork is beautiful. The lines and coloring reminds me of Morales Action Comics run, and everytime Diana is on screen, there is a sense of power coiled up in her.

The ending action scene was, admittedly, a little underwhelming...but on the whole, I was really impressed by this. Wonder Woman #1 is definitely getting added to the Pull List.

So I have long abstained from getting into comics, because they're a rabbit hole I knew I could get lost in and they tend to take a more wibbly-wobbly stance on canon (they treat it more like the Pirate Code than I would prefer).  I've been really getting into Arrow/Flash/Supergirl over the past years, which tempted me but didn't ultimately sway me.  Then I watched Young Justice and became Dick Grayson/Nightwing trash.

So far I've only read the DC Universe Rebirth issue and I'm planning on reading Nightwing Rebirth, Titans Rebirth, and Teen Titans Rebirth (because I'm cheap and need to limit myself).

Alright, so I've got some questions as a newbie to comics. I asked in another thread where to begin with reading New 52, and Orlion said to start with Flashpoint and then read whatever heroes interest you. But now I'm hearing that DC rebooted their properties again? Is it still worth reading Flashpoint and New 52? Will I need to read those to understand Rebirth? Should I read Watchmen now that they're being dragged into things? Agh, this is all so confusing!  

I really need to catch up on Teen Titans.  I own most of the first New 52 run digitally, but then they went and restarted it (thankfully bringing Beast Boy back) and now I just can't remember where I'm up to.  Money is an issue, though hopefully the comics have decreased in price by now.

Unfortunately, I believe Resurrection Man was cancelled.  I really liked that guy.

Edited by AliasSheep

Alright, so I've got some questions as a newbie to comics. I asked in another thread where to begin with reading New 52, and Orlion said to start with Flashpoint and then read whatever heroes interest you. But now I'm hearing that DC rebooted their properties again? Is it still worth reading Flashpoint and New 52? Will I need to read those to understand Rebirth? Should I read Watchmen now that they're being dragged into things? Agh, this is all so confusing!  

Well, first of all, you should probably read Watchmen either way. It's considered a seminal work of the genre, and it's a standalone piece, so you can't really go wrong reading it.

As for DC Rebirth as a whole...

I wouldn't say you need to read those to get into it. Rebirth isn't so much a reboot as a reset; the stories are still continuing from the New 52; it's just that they are going to be introducing stuff from the Old DC Universe back into things...

But they'll wheel that out in a way which is accessible, I'd imagine. So, yeah, pick heroes you like and just start there would be my recommendation, too. It's part of why I opened this topic, to be honest; I'm hoping enough Sharders read enough books that we can put together a decent list of "Books That Are Good" :ph34r:

Yeah, how are Watchmen playing in all that? What's the connection? I always thought Watchmen aren't part of the Multiverse.

Well, that's the big question, in and out of universe, so... RAFO, I guess? It seem's to be the new meta plot for the DCU for the next few years, but hopefully it'll amount to more than Pandora did...

So, being a fan of the Arrowverse, I decided to pick up the Flash.

Eh.

Kind of a...boring comic, actually. Not very much seems to have happened?

Now, be fair; this issue is all about setting up threads for the main series. The Watchmen metaplot gets touched on, we get teasers of new speedster villains, the Reverse-Flash, we get a 'is the Speed Force alive' speech, which seems to be getting set up as a major point of the run...

But nothing really happened. So, I don't know. I might give it an actual story arc, to see if it gets better, but this is the weakest Rebirth issue I picked up so are.

I heard about Flash comic which was to be written by Joshua Williamson and art by Carmine Di Giandomencio and Neil Googe. It was about new speedsters popping up in Central City and that Barry Allen had to train them. And one of characters was named Godspeed and he was described as 'killer'. His design was quite cool.

Yeah, I checked, it seems it's in fact Flash: Rebirth. I found it interesting, but then in an interview the creator said that one needs to be familiar with DC: Rebirth... and I suspect that I'd need even more comics book to understand this one and repeat ad infinitum. I don't think I have that kind of money. Or time to Invest.

I heard about Flash comic which was to be written by Joshua Williamson and art by Carmine Di Giandomencio and Neil Googe. It was about new speedsters popping up in Central City and that Barry Allen had to train them. And one of characters was named Godspeed and he was described as 'killer'. His design was quite cool.

Yeah, I checked, it seems it's in fact Flash: Rebirth. I found it interesting, but then in an interview the creator said that one needs to be familiar with DC: Rebirth... and I suspect that I'd need even more comics book to understand this one and repeat ad infinitum. I don't think I have that kind of money. Or time to Invest.

The 'Godkiller' plotline starts with issue #1.

Which is why I found this issue so weak, really. I read Rebirth; so I was able to follow the issue clearly.

But I shouldn't have had too. Flash Rebirth hits a lot of the same beats with Wally, but not as well as Rebirth itself...and doesn't set it's own stuff up as well.

So I just read Titans: Rebirth and although I think it would have better if I had had more context I enjoyed it.

Spoiler

The plot was basically Wally tries to reunite with his friends (the former Teen Titans, now just Titans), who of course have no memory of him.  During the course of a fight they do eventually get their memories back.  I particularly liked how when that happened we get a quick glimpse of those memories, in moments that probably define the relationships he had with each of them.  It also looks like they are going to be focused on the extradimensional being who did all of this and finding/preventing them from doing it again.

On 16/06/2016 at 4:37 PM, WeiryWriter said:

So I just read Titans: Rebirth and although I think it would have better if I had had more context I enjoyed it.

Hide contents

The plot was basically Wally tries to reunite with his friends (the former Teen Titans, now just Titans), who of course have no memory of him.  During the course of a fight they do eventually get their memories back.  I particularly liked how when that happened we get a quick glimpse of those memories, in moments that probably define the relationships he had with each of them.  It also looks like they are going to be focused on the extradimensional being who did all of this and finding/preventing them from doing it again.

Yeah, for stories pitched as fresh starting points, Titans was rather obtuse. You needed to read DC Rebirth, and Titans Hunt probably would have helped since they flagged it up.

I picked it up mostly because of Linkara.

The book was...okay? I admit, I don't know a thing about Lillith, so that particular character wasn't well presented...but everyone else? Sure, they were cool. I already had some familiarity with Dick, Roy and Wally, while I know Donnya as that ridiculously convoluted character. :ph34r:

It is pretty cool that they seem to be heading after the one who took their ten years away; they are part of the generation most affected by the Flashpoint after all. I'm sure the Justice League will get involved eventually, but if this plot pushed the Titans to A-list status...

So, yeah, I'm picking up issue #1. And hoping the big bad of their first arc isn't Trigon.

Yeah I did some research after reading it and ended up picking up the first issue of Titans Hunt, though I haven't read it yet.

Spoiler

I also saw that the main enemy was supposed to be an "inter-dimensional demon" which made me think of Trigon, but I also hope it's not actually him because I just feel if it was Raven should be involved?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I picked up Flash #1, and while it was okay, my main concern is that the arc is basically going to rehash the Zoom storyline from season 2 of the show. 

But, I was speaking to @Edgedancer about it, and...Yeah, that will probably help fans of the show checking out the book get acclimated to things.

And all this got me thinking about the upcoming Supergirl book, whose new status quo is ripped straight from the show; defender of National City, working for the DEO. 

Here's the thing; I understand corporate synergy, particularly for books attracting a show audience. I hate when things in comics get railroaded to tie into them, but...

But, a lot of Superman's mythos comes from extra comic materials. Jimmy Olson and Kryptonite both came from radio plays, and the classic ice fortress of solitude was the Donner film. Smallville popularised the idea of Lex and Clark as childhood friends -though that's not an idea I'm in favor of- and Superman Returns pitched the idea of Superdad which the comics are currently exploring.

More than that,Supergirl as a character.... well, hasn't been. She's been a pretty pervasive idea since she was introduced, but she's never really seemed to click as anything beyond "girl superman". She's had so many different takes, each trying to make her distinct in her own right, and none of them really worked, or gained popular traction. The New 52 really pushed her as the "alien" of the line, which was a direction I liked...but the book got cancelled, so I imagine that is going to be dropped.

There's a joke that Superman only inspires people when he's dead,but I think that that is much more applicable to Kara. Her best moment was decades ago, when she fought the Anti-Monitor and died give the Earths a little more time.

(Incidently, that sequance? Best moment of COIE.) 

So... I'm hoping that borrowing the premise gives her a bit more life this time. But I'm also hoping the book doesn't just rehash the shows cast. People point out that Arrow is basically stealing characters and concepts from Batman...but Supergirl does the same for Superman. Pretty much all of that shop's cast are former Superman characters.

So, I don't mind f there is some overlap; an Alex Danvers, or a Cat Grant. But I'm hoping this book will actually develop Kara as an independent character and make a more compelling reason for her existence than nostalgia.