The Stormfather (Spoilers)

Hey Sharders!

I'm just going to jump right into this. Since the Almighty is dead, what happened to His power? In WoR there is a conversation between the Stormfather and Dalinar that goes like this:

"You said that you were a fragment of the Almighty."

I AM HIS. . . SPREN, YOU MIGHT SAY. NOT HIS SOUL. I AM THE MEMORY 

MEN CREATE FOR HIM, NOW THAT HE IS GONE. THE PERSONIFICATION OF STORMS AND OF THE DIVINE. I AM NOT GOD. I AM BUT A SHADOW OF ONE.

Because the Stormfather is the Almighty's "Spren", could it be that He has the Almighty's power? If not, then someone else does... and that doesn't sound like an ideal situation.

-KnightRadiant

The Stormfather probably did inherit some of the Almighty's power, by virtue of being (merged with?) his Cognitive Shadow, but as far as we know, a great portion of said power was splintered by Odium and became spren. That is why Pattern told Shallan there were less sapient spren at the times of the Recreance.

Well, I don't think the Stormfather inherit a meaningfull part of Honor's Power... After all He is just the Merging of a pre-existence Spen (Rider of the Storm) and Tanavast's Shadow. But Tanavast's Shadow as fas as we know was just a standard Cognitive Shadow of a Sliver. The same thing we saw with:

Mistborn Spoiler:

Rashek, Vin, Leras, Ati

Honor is splintered, so his power is kind of... spread out. I don't think we really know for sure exactly what effect a splintered shard has on a planet...

Edit: do we know if the splinters really did become spren? There were spren before Honor died, after all... Which ones are new?

Edited by Eki

Honor is splintered, so his power is kind of... spread out. I don't think we really know for sure exactly what effect a splintered shard has on a planet...

Edit: do we know if the splinters really did become spren? There were spren before Honor died, after all... Which ones are new?

There is a WoB about Splinter with of whole Shard (for example on Nalthis) and Splinter of a Splintered Shard.

They are both possible but in the first case, it's like to be an "indipendent part" of an organism (they are not the words used by Mister Sanderson).

Probably Honor made some Splinters by his own power but now all his power became Splinters.This is the reason of the growning number of Spren after Honor's Death.

Edited by Yata

From what Pattern said, what changed was the number of individuals, not of types of spren.

Edited by DreamEternal

IIRC the original spren were part of the splintering of Adonalsium, the increase in the spren in Roshar is from Honor, but why do we have a reduced spren presence in Shinovar?

Probably there are Spren there too... just invisible like in the rest of Cosmere.

IIRC the original spren were part of the splintering of Adonalsium, the increase in the spren in Roshar is from Honor, but why do we have a reduced spren presence in Shinovar?

Moving a bit into tinfoil hat territory, perhaps there's too little Stormlight there for spren to manifest in Physical Realm? Shinovar is the only country on the face of Roshar that doesn't get its semi-regular dose of highstorms - and Stormlight they bring with them - and the only country not to have visible spren, so I'm guessing there's some connection.

Moving a bit into tinfoil hat territory, perhaps there's too little Stormlight there for spren to manifest in Physical Realm? Shinovar is the only country on the face of Roshar that doesn't get its semi-regular dose of highstorms - and Stormlight they bring with them - and the only country not to have visible spren, so I'm guessing there's some connection.

We know that investiture helps bring the three realms together and that one can even slip into a different realm if there is a large enough amount of investiture, so this makes a lot of sense. I like it.

• Chaos locked this topic