WoR Reread - two items of interest

CaptainRyan

1| page 1050 of the original WoR Kindle edition

Kaladin arrives in Uruthiru with Szeth's Honorblade. As far as I know this scene is the last we see of the Honorblade. I am assuming Kaladin left the Honorblade with Dalinar which then leads me to the interesting tidbit - when the Stone Shamans learn of Szeth's "death" how will they go about recovering the Honorblade from Dalinar? Szeth mentioned at some point (forgot to mark the spot) that his people were not worried about recovering the blade after his death. Could this be a significant conflict in the coming third book? Will the Shin send powerful warriors wielding the other Honorblades? Silent assassins? Proto-radiants of some kind?

2| page 976 of the original WoR Kindle edition

"Kaladin stood in the rain. “Do you know where the King’s Wit is?”

“That fool, Dust? Not here, blessedly. Why?”"

This scene is Kaladin speaking to Zahel while Kaladin is recovering from his injuries and wrestling with his conscience over the plot against Elhokar. Note how Zahel (Vasher) refers to Hoid as "Dust". Hoid and Vasher seem to have met in the past. The name "Dust" seems full of meaning but I cannot really think of what that meaning might be in relation to Nalthis or Roshar. Thoughts?

To your second question, Dust was Hoid's original name in Warbreaker. IIRC, that was mentioned in the annotations or WoB. Dust if just another Alias. I assume the nickname arose because of how Hoid tells stories on Nalthis. You see him at one point using cascading dust and beads I think. 

To your first question, I definitely expect that, unless Szeth shows up in Shinovar with a certain black sword of murdering evil before they can get to Dalinar. I would love to have a parallel of Szeth protecting Dalinar now, as opposed to trying to assassinate him previously.

To your second question, Dust was Hoid's original name in Warbreaker. IIRC, that was mentioned in the annotations or WoB. Dust if just another Alias. I assume the nickname arose because of how Hoid tells stories on Nalthis. You see him at one point using cascading dust and beads I think.

To your first question, I definitely expect that, unless Szeth shows up in Shinovar with a certain black sword of murdering evil before they can get to Dalinar. I would love to have a parallel of Szeth protecting Dalinar now, as opposed to trying to assassinate him previously.

I did not remember that about Hoid and Nalthis but it makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Also, I love the idea of Szeth being placed in a position of defending Dalinar. I am not sure if Dalinar and/or Kaladin would be willing to accept Szeth after all he has done. That situation could create some dramatic tension.

I did not remember that about Hoid and Nalthis but it makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Also, I love the idea of Szeth being placed in a position of defending Dalinar. I am not sure if Dalinar and/or Kaladin would be willing to accept Szeth after all he has done. That situation could create some dramatic tension.

No problem  ^_^

And that's what I'm saying! I would love that situation, and it might be grounds for more Oaths from Kaladin.

Those are some really good points. Having the Shin attack Dalinar seems a little against their behavior, but I'm sure we will learn much more about them in Oathbringer. In both WoK and WoR, there seems to be a lot of assassinating, so I would like to see something new come from Szeth's position.

I previously knew that Hoid was on both Nalthis and Roshar, but not Vasher. That gives me something new to think on. The name "Dust" could simply be a nickname in relation to Hoid's personality. He seems to drift places, and be everywhere.

Thinking a bit more about Hoid and Vasher it seems Vasher realizes that Wit is Dust. Does Hoid know Zahel is Vasher? I wonder if anything they are doing is connected or if it is more of a "Oh hi, fancy seeing you on Roshar. My, these ugly-lizard-crab things sure are something!"

Yes. YES.

Well, the Shin do have a martial arts form that's based around touching people, I wonder what they could use it for.

The mental imagery I got from the way you worded that sentence lol. But in seriousness, the Stoneshamans are most likely very dangerous people.I wonder if any are as skilled as Szeth? If not, boy are they screwed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic