Khriss- What's up with her?

Master Elodin

I'm actually very curious as to whether it'll be shown in the text of the White Sand trilogy (or, I guess, nonalogy, since there could theoretically be 9 or more volumes in the final product, assuming good sales of the first volume), or whether Brandon will do some sort of sequel hook where it's clear that Khriss will eventually learn how to worldhop, but won't actually do it in the White Sand books itself.

Words of Radiance spoiler:

When Nightblood comes out, I strongly expect this to be the case with respect to Vasher and Nightblood - Brandon'll probably show something that makes it clear that Vasher knows how to, or will soon learn how to worldhop, but won't actually show either of them worldhopping, and the reader will be left to connect the dots themselves.

My biggest question relating to Khriss (and most worldhoppers) is how they end up living for hundreds of years. I mean, Khriss is hanging out on Classical Scadrial during Secret History, then shows up again on anteverdant Scadrial. Similarly, Demoux comes to Roshar during Way of Kings, which is also hundreds of years after the events of Hero of Ages. I'm curious whether they all just figure out the trick of immortality using their various magic systems or if somehow worldhopping lets them also hop through time.

My biggest question relating to Khriss (and most worldhoppers) is how they end up living for hundreds of years. I mean, Khriss is hanging out on Classical Scadrial during Secret History, then shows up again on anteverdant Scadrial. Similarly, Demoux comes to Roshar during Way of Kings, which is also hundreds of years after the events of Hero of Ages. I'm curious whether they all just figure out the trick of immortality using their various magic systems or if somehow worldhopping lets them also hop through time.

We have a quote from the book implying that immortality is possible with the built in magic system: 

“Have you ever seen Scythe himself?” she asked.

“Occasionally,” Baon said.

“What does he look like?” Khriss asked.

“An Iiarian, like myself,” Baon explained. “Tall, with very dark skin. He is a powerful man, duchess. Very powerful--and not just because of what he controls. He bears himself like a warrior, with a firm stance and commanding presence. And, of course, his Skycolor is violet--the color of nobility.”

Khriss sat back in her chair, rubbing her chin thoughtfully. She had always assumed the tales of Scythe’s power were superstitions, but she had assumed the same about the sand masters.

“Is it true what they say about him, Baon?” she asked. “About his . . . abilities?”

“His magic?” Baon asked. “Yes.”

Khriss felt herself grow cold. She had always known Elis stood against a monster and a despot, but she had taken comfort in the fact that their enemy was a man, just like every other man. A man capable of being defeated.

“Are you . . . certain?” she asked.

“Duchess,” Baon explained. “When I was a young boy, Scythe looked like a man in his mid-twenties. He looked exactly the same the day I left Iiaria. The histories say he is hundreds of years old, and I believe them. I have seen him do things impossible of any normal man.”

Edited by shadowwisp

That's true. And I suppose that it's possible that Demoux gets atium Feruchemy through Hemalurgy or Southern Scadrial metalminds or something and compounds it for youth like TLR did. It's just weird to think that there are so many functionally immortal people running around the cosmere.

I think there's been enough disillusionment in her travels that she really only has two reasons to go back to Darkside - to report on the sand masters and family.  The rest of the court pretty much laughing behind your back at your naivety for how many years? and even being in collusion on the deception, would pretty much burn all the bridges she might have had with her home.

She also seems to get the taste for travel more and more throughout the book, is continually trying to figure everything out (beyond just what she needs for her quest), and becomes more and more observant/aware of things around her (with Baon's guidance - intentional or just part of his personality?).

I could totally see this being the origin story of a worldhopper.

Maybe not quite so intentional but more like her finding a loose thread and deciding to pull on it to see where it leads.  Several planets later she looks up and goes, "hmmm, wonder if I could turn this into a full time job?  If only I had someone to draw maps for me....."

I'm actually very curious as to whether it'll be shown in the text of the White Sand trilogy (or, I guess, nonalogy, since there could theoretically be 9 or more volumes in the final product, assuming good sales of the first volume), or whether Brandon will do some sort of sequel hook where it's clear that Khriss will eventually learn how to worldhop, but won't actually do it in the White Sand books itself.

Words of Radiance spoiler:

When Nightblood comes out, I strongly expect this to be the case with respect to Vasher and Nightblood - Brandon'll probably show something that makes it clear that Vasher knows how to, or will soon learn how to worldhop, but won't actually show either of them worldhopping, and the reader will be left to connect the dots themselves.

I didn't know it was meant to be a trilogy. I mean, there was obviously meant to be a sequel with the ending plot hook, but do you have a source?

Words of Radiance Spoilers:

Also, I think part of the reason that Nightblood is so far off is that it has massive cosmere spoilers for what actually goes on with Worldhopping, and he wants to reveal it bit by bit.

EDIT: Fixed spoiler tag.

Edited by The Young Bard

Source on the fact that White Sand was originally meant to be a trilogy of novels: http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson/

This took me way longer to find than I thought it would; the fact that White Sand would be a trilogy (with a second book named Lord Mastrell) was a fact that was embedded in my head for so long that I couldn't remember where I'd originally heard it. In fact, even now, I don't think this SotS was where I heard; I'd heard about White Sand in some context much longer ago.

In any case, keep in mind that the above SotS is before we knew that White Sand would be released as a trilogy of graphic novels, and hence, at the moment it's still talking about the prose trilogy.

While White Sand was meant to be a trilogy, the current trilogy of graphic novels will only cover the prose version of White Sand. 

And they are going to come out at a pace of once a year. 

Which means hopefully if the first three do well, we will get an additional 6 later on ::::fingers crossed:::::

Which means hopefully if the first three do well, we will get an additional 6 later on ::::fingers crossed:::::

I have very little reason to believe they WON'T do well. Brandon has a large enough fan base now who will buy it, even if they don't like graphic novels. They're short, easy to read, and have pictures! But, unlike a children's book, they also have potential for great stories. And we all know how awesome this story is already, so that definitely doesn't hurt. Besides, even crappy graphic novels usually end up with 10-20 volumes.

I loved the story (Sand mastery is now tied with feruchemy as my favourite magicsystem) but i´m not thrilled about the idea of 9 graphic novels.(i´m assuming one book = 3 graphic novels). Of course i will buy them all, but i can already hear my wallet cry...