Is his cognitive shadow still around, manipulating in the background (Spoilers All)

uchoo786

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)

So what happens when Shards die?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

Well, it depends on how long the Shardholders have held the Shard. After they die, the Shard is often able to continue acting, a kind of "Cognitive shadow". For example, the mists were able to continue doing what Preservation wished in helping out Vin and snapping people. With the Stormfather, he is that Cognitive shadow, and he's semi sentient. It's that power, but no one is actually holding it. We also see this on Threnody.

I'm new to the forums and don't know if this has been discussed, but is Ati's cognitive shadow still around? By the sound of what Brandon said above it seems like he's definitely held his shard long enough to form a cognitive shadow (since Leras died thousands of years before him and he had an ok functioning CS).

Could his shadow still be around during Era 2? Could his shadow have picked up another shard, perhaps one killed by Rayse, and is back to destroy the world?

I haven't read Secret History yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is there.

If Ati's cognitive shadow IS still around, would he start regaining his old personality, or just keep being affected by Ruin's Intent?

Edited by Eki

Secret History Spoilers:

After Ati died, Kelsier's Cognitive Shadow punched him in the face, and he moved Beyond. So, he's not hanging around. From the little we saw of him, he appeared confused, so I don't think Ruin was still affecting him.

I wonder about Aona and Skai, if their Cognitive Shadows are still around. I suspect not - we see Ruin destroying Leras's CS, finally succeeding during the events of Secret History. Odium could have done the same to Aona and Skai. I suspect when he killed Honor, he was locked away on Braize before he could destroy the Stormfather, so that's why he's still hanging around.

Edited by Pagerunner

I haven't read Secret History yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is there.

If Ati's cognitive shadow IS still around, would he start regaining his old personality, or just keep being affected by Ruin's Intent?

Ati's Cognitive Shadow would still be Ruin's Sliver, thus it would have effects on his personality. However, he would be back to his original personality but with added "Ruinness" (Ruinnity? Eh...).

From what I understand of Sandersons answer, It's not that the cognitive shadow is an completely independent entity, but rather a part of the shard and just continues to guide the shards actions even though there is no shardholder of said shard.

But there currently IS a shardholder of Ruin and that shardholder is Sazed or Harmony. Therefore I don't see why there would be a cognitive shadow of ruin around. 

The Stormfather is a splinter of Honor and he is currently around because the Shardholder of Honor is dead and the shard was splintered. But Ruin is neither splintered nor does it have no shardholder. Ruin is perfectly complete and "held", so I don't think there is any cognitive shadow of ati still around.

• Chaos locked this topic