Copper, Aluminum, and Hemalurgic Control [Era 1 Spoilers]

Nethseäar

Hemalurgic spikes open fissures in the soul, which leaves it vulnerable to influence by emotional Allomancy. Allomantic Copper closes the user's mind to emotional Allomancy. Aluminum-lined hats also protect against emotional Allomancy.

Can Allomantic Copper and/or aluminum-lined hats protect an Inquisitor from control through emotional Allomancy? Or maybe each spike needs to be lined with aluminum foil? We've never seen this tried or brought up in the books, so who knows. Seems reasonable, though.

If either does protect from emotional Allomancy, can it also protect from control by Ruin?

Possible questions for Brandon. Meanwhile, what do you think?

As an aside, I wonder if the angle of attack has any effect on emotional Allomancy -- if someone has an aluminum-lined hat, can you still affect their emotions if they're directly above you (say, on a different floor. Or even suspended in the air, if having the floor between you changes anything)?

I think that position doesn't matter (why should it?). I vaguely remember that aluminum hats only lessen the impact of emotional Allomancy but it can still be felt (I think Reddi says that when they're going to fight Set's goons in SoS).

Now, I'm curious about somebody who has only aluminum spikes. On one hand, they have the spikes, on the other, aluminum protects from Allomancy...

I still don't get it how can you store something in Investiture sink or how aluminum can hold Hemalurgic charge.

You can burn it as well, and soulcasting can create it (though whether it can be casted into other things is unknown). Clearly it's not completely immune to magic. It just behaves strangely, in a magic-disrupting way. That it is a metallic element on a world realmatically linked to metal probably helps a lot.

soulcasting can create it

Do we have WOB on why you can Soulcast it, but not Forge it (since it is also known as Ralkalest, the UnForgable Metal?)

I think that position doesn't matter (why should it?)

Well, if position doesn't matter, you should be able to use aluminum-lined shirt collars instead of aluminum hats. They'd break fewer social conventions than wearing a hat everywhere would.

Do we have WOB on why you can Soulcast it, but not Forge it (since it is also known as Ralkalest, the UnForgable Metal?)

Well, if position doesn't matter, you should be able to use aluminum-lined shirt collars instead of aluminum hats. They'd break fewer social conventions than wearing a hat everywhere would.

Well we don't know if you could forge something else into Ralkalest, and we don't know if you could Soulcast Aluminium into something else.

Do we know how aluminium alloys work with investiture? Considering alloys work very differently for the metallic arts...

Like, can you Forge duralumin?

The Alluminium is quite rarer than gold without modern tech (with our tech is pretty common to find), I don't think someone manage to make some metallurgy with it so easly (outside of Scadrial were metals give powers)

Edited by Yata

Hrmm. I suspect that the Aluminum around the head acts to interfere with signals from the spiritual/cognitive realm (is emotional Allomancy spiritual, cognitive or both?), probably a bit like a Faraday cage.

The question then is; does the spiritual/cognitive realm come from the Allomancer's location on the physical realm, or is it directly from the spiritual/cognitive realm?

I suspect the latter, which would be why it only helps (if that is the case? Quotation?) as only 2/3rds or so of the brain is covered, thus it significantly reduces but does not completely eliminate the effect. (If, however, you were in a full Aluminium hazmat suit you'd probably be 100% protected). 

Could it be like a scale? The more spikes you have, the more susceptible you become, which means the less effective copper or aluminum would be for you? Though would kind of be funny if I stabbed myself with a spike to get copper but didn't know it would only result in making me vulnerable enough that I might as well not have had the copper to begin with. Then I would spike myself with more copper, to make my cloud stronger, but the second spike would make me more vulnerable to again negate the additional strength. 

Could it be like a scale? The more spikes you have, the more susceptible you become, which means the less effective copper or aluminum would be for you? Though would kind of be funny if I stabbed myself with a spike to get copper but didn't know it would only result in making me vulnerable enough that I might as well not have had the copper to begin with. Then I would spike myself with more copper, to make my cloud stronger, but the second spike would make me more vulnerable to again negate the additional strength. 

I may steal it from you to uses it in the Useless feat for Useful powers topic XD

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic