Trell=Autonomy

BrightVoid

We are almost certain that the god Trell is a Shard, but which one?  I find it suspicious that a hijacked kandra with a spike made (most likely) from a god metal happens to want to "free them".  Harmony, who seems to have a hand in anything would most definitely be apposed by Autonomy.  

I liked the theory that he is autonomy, but there are so many Odium hints

A big miasma of red? Red-eyed, possessed servants? willing to completely wipe out the population?

These are.. really dark things. Beyond simply loving freedom so much that you are willing to let chaos and anarchy rein. That is hate.

Perhaps autonomy and odium are working together, or odium corrupted autonomy somehow.

And why on earth is Harmony having trouble holding trell back? He should be twice as strong as him.

He's twice as strong, yes, but to be aggressive defies his intents, yet to protect things also defies his intents. Harmony is the epitome of ludicrous side effects for useful powers . . .

Actually, while interfering in Scadrial's development even to protect seems hard for him, I can definitely see protecting them from an outside attacker (particularly one they would be incapable of fighting on their own) being well aligned.  He can preserve the Scadrians while ruining another Shard/attacker.  I don't know for sure if that's how it would play out, but I can see how the argument could be very compellingly made that he could very well reconcile his Intents and bring all kinds of pain against another Shard making a direct attack.  :ph34r:

jW

Considering how you can interpret most things as destroying to preserve, I doubt he'd have as much trouble with his own planet if that worked. Personal opinion though.

Fair point. The fact that he's not destroying the same thing he's trying to preserve could impact that though. It's a lot different from destroying some on or in Scadrial to try to improve or preserve it.

jW

I liked the theory that he is autonomy, but there are so many Odium hints

A big miasma of red? Red-eyed, possessed servants? willing to completely wipe out the population?

These are.. really dark things. Beyond simply loving freedom so much that you are willing to let chaos and anarchy rein. That is hate.

Perhaps autonomy and odium are working together, or odium corrupted autonomy somehow.

And why on earth is Harmony having trouble holding trell back? He should be twice as strong as him.

Don't we know that Odium is "trapped" in the greater Roshar System? And that Odium is afraid of Harmony? I don't think this is Odium.

Don't we know that Odium is "trapped" in the greater Roshar System? And that Odium is afraid of Harmony? I don't think this is Odium.

Odium was trapped in the Greater Roshar system... three Stormlight books before Mistborn Era 2 begins. Ample time for something in the balance to shift and Odium to escape. Also, this is the backstab method of "deal with that which frightens you" as opposed to the fair fight version.

Odium was trapped in the Greater Roshar system... three Stormlight books before Mistborn Era 2 begins. Ample time for something in the balance to shift and Odium to escape. Also, this is the backstab method of "deal with that which frightens you" as opposed to the fair fight version.

Perhaps but the author of the second letter seems pretty confident Odium is fairly secure there in Roshar and as far as I can tell has been there for a very long time and is likely otherwise invested there as well. Who knows besides Brandon of course but this doesn't feel like Odium to me.

Perhaps but the author of the second letter seems pretty confident Odium is fairly secure there in Roshar and as far as I can tell has been there for a very long time and is likely otherwise invested there as well. Who knows besides Brandon of course but this doesn't feel like Odium to me.

The author of the second letter is fairly confident that *as things stand*, Odium is contained, and that things in Greater Roshar are as good as they're going to get. He is also fairly confident that Hoid's going to mess *something* up, and that the consequences from said mess-up are going to make the situation worse. Also, Odium is invested in Braize, which may or may not be Damnation itself. SH tells us that Shards that are Invested in a specific planet can leave if that planet ceases to be (From Ruin's plans once Preservation was dead). Therefore, if Braize is destroyed, Odium will be free to menace the rest of the Cosmere.

Pardon the random asterisks, I'm posting from my phone and can't access the full toolbar.

The author of the second letter is fairly confident that *as things stand*, Odium is contained, and that things in Greater Roshar are as good as they're going to get. He is also fairly confident that Hoid's going to mess *something* up, and that the consequences from said mess-up are going to make the situation worse. Also, Odium is invested in Braize, which may or may not be Damnation itself. SH tells us that Shards that are Invested in a specific planet can leave if that planet ceases to be (From Ruin's plans once Preservation was dead). Therefore, if Braize is destroyed, Odium will be free to menace the rest of the Cosmere.

Pardon the random asterisks, I'm posting from my phone and can't access the full toolbar.

I gotcha. I just kinda feel like at this stage that's a lot of "if this happens" type scenarios. Feels to me like a simple answer feels a lot more likely that one that requires a bunch of factors. Though generally, I guess to be fair, I'd have to admit the "simpleness" of it being autonomy or another shard is based off lack of knowledge more than anything.

I gotcha. I just kinda feel like at this stage that's a lot of "if this happens" type scenarios. Feels to me like a simple answer feels a lot more likely that one that requires a bunch of factors. Though generally, I guess to be fair, I'd have to admit the "simpleness" of it being autonomy or another shard is based off lack of knowledge more than anything.

Admittedly, the latter half of my post is a bit of stream-of-consciousness conjecture that was essentially "what's the worst thing that could possibly happen, given the setup?"  Planetary destruction leading to the release of a perpetually angry, perpetually malevolent god is pretty high on that scale.  

• Chaos locked this topic