Chasmfiend Theories

Lightspine

So, here's a question I have never seen an answer to regarding the Chasmfiends: If they're pupating, that means they're transforming into something new, doesn't it? What happens to a Chasmfiend that completes the pupating without having its heart torn out?

So, here's a question I have never seen an answer to regarding the Chasmfiends: If they're pupating, that means they're transforming into something new, doesn't it? What happens to a Chasmfiend that completes the pupating without having its heart torn out?

I believe they just get bigger. If I recall correctly (curses leaving my kindle home so unable to check at this time), but the chasmfiend that attacked Elhokar that Dalinar stopped was an older chasmfiend having already hatched from its chrysalis. 

Hmm... wasn't there something about Aquatic beings similar to Chasmfiends, though? Ones that went inland to reproduce?

That was Shallan examining their lifecycle when discussing seeing a live one with Adolin. She contemplated the possibility, but also stated the mirrored causation was loose and might not hold water. 

Edited by Pathfinder

I guess. Still, it doesn't make sense to me for something to pupate and just become bigger. Then again, I'm no biologist.

From a brief google search it seems insects and not crustaceans undergo complete metamorphosis. Crustaceans undergo incomplete metamorphosis which entails remaining mostly the same while gaining additional legs and such. So based on biology, it could make sense. Though that was from a brief google search, so take it with a grain of salt

Even some insects have incomplete metamorphosis, IIRC. Like, the grasshopper or whatever (I just chose a random name, they may not do this) just looks bigger with some more developed parts.

Not all insects deconstruct the majority of their organs and rebuild, that'd be weird. Evolution isn't that clean cut.

Now that I remembered my kindle I can provide the quote!

Way of Kings Page 189

A fully grown chasmfiend living here was his to hunt, the wealth at its heart his privilege to claim. 

Words of Radiance Page 573

"Thats the chrysalis of a yu-nerig" Shallan said. "A greatshell from the seas around Marabethia. The people there feed criminals to them, I'm told."

"Ouch"

"This might be a false positive, a coincidence. The yu-nerig are an aquatic species. The only time they come onto land is to pupate. Seems tenuous to assume a relationship to the chasmfiends...."

Oh! I just realized I was missing something. It sounds like the "chasmfiends" are what they look like after pupating. Before pupating, they're something smaller. Shallan talks about juveniles pupating into adults at one point (during the infamous defecation conversation with Adolin).

• Chaos locked this topic