Speculation: the Dawnsingers were Aimians

ecohansen

I've mentioned this speculation once before, but thought I might give it its own thread where it can be shot down by a wider audience on its own small merits.

Everyone's favorite quote about the Dawnsingers is the following conversation between Kabsal and Shallan:

"That isn't the kind of thing the Dawnsingers did.  They were healers, kindly spren sent by the Almighty to care for humans once we were forced out of the Tranquiline Halls."

"Kind of like the opposite of the Voidbringers."

"I suppose you could say that."

(Irrelevant side note: does it seem ominous to anyone else that Kabsal is vouching for these 'caring healers' while he is using his 'caring priest' persona to plot murder, within shouting distance of a hospital where other healers were committing mass murder?)

So, what would be the 'opposite' of a Voidbringer?  I guess the closest opposite would be a spren being possessed by a Parshendi.  But that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

We know, however, that there are two nonhuman sapiences on Roshar: Parshendi and Aimians. 

We know that Aimia and the Shattered Plains are on opposite sides of Roshar.

We know that blue and red are commonly used as opposites, and Aimians are blue and Parshendi are red.

We know that Slaveform Parshmen are inhumanly dull and passive, while (presumably unbonded) Aimians are commonly seen as superhumanly clever and devious.

So, if the Parshendi are the Voidbringers, and the Dawnsingers are the opposite of the Voidbringers, it would seem to make sense that the Dawnsingers were Aimians.

Edited by ecohansen

I'm afraid that the knowledge they have is fractured. The Aimians could have some connection, but they are not spren.

Although, they do have abilities similar to kandra. Perhaps it indicates a flexible Cognitive identity, similar to kandra or Listeners?

I'm afraid that the knowledge they have is fractured. The Aimians could have some connection, but they are not spren.

Although, they do have abilities similar to kandra. Perhaps it indicates a flexible Cognitive identity, similar to kandra or Listeners?

Well, keep in mind that just because Kabsal says they were spren doesn't mean definitively that they were. I think there are multiple incorrect/off-base teachings in Vorinism or present day Rosharan lore. I mean no one realized the Parshendi would be the voidbringers. I think it was assumed they were an evil spren as well.

A voidbringer is a parshendi plus a spren, with the spren contributing more to the voidbringer's nature than the parshendi does.  If a dawnsinger is an aimian and a spren interacting in the same way, it wouldbe more correct to call them "spren" than "aimian".

A voidbringer is a parshendi plus a spren, with the spren contributing more to the voidbringer's nature than the parshendi does. If a dawnsinger is an aimian and a spren interacting in the same way, it wouldbe more correct to call them "spren" than "aimian".

Voidbringers were also popularly know as evil spren.

Although I prefer to think the Dawnsingers were not aimians, but Listeners with forms of power from Honor and Cultivation. It fits with the "singer" part, and maybe even the betrayal of spren, if H&C decided there was no need for dawnsingers after humanity adapted to living on Roshar, and let the spren chose who and what to bind to.

Edited by DreamEternal

• Chaos locked this topic