A little confused by something on Tor.com regarding Dalinar

Platysaur

Spoilers if you haven't actually read WoR.

I read this on a Tor article found at http://www.tor.com/2016/02/22/what-to-expect-so-far-from-brandon-sandersons-third-stormlight-archive-book/ 

The passage:  Newly bonded to a splinter of the Almighty/Honor, Dalinar is going to have his hands full reigning in the Stormfather, and figuring out his new duties as a Bondsmith. Not only will he have to bring the Radiants together, he’ll need to keep his people in the city from falling apart, especially after he usurped control of them from his nephew Elhokar. 

Uhhh, since we did he usurp control from Elhokar? Am I forgetting something? It has been a bit since I've read the book.

Uhhh, since we did he usurp control from Elhokar? Am I forgetting something? It has been a bit since I've read the book.

At the end of book one, after beating up Elhokar, he basically left implicit he was to obey him at all times, making him his puppet. All while telling him he wouldn't be a puppet to the likes of Sadeas, if I remember well.

Delightfully hypocrital, Blackthorn. Meridas Amaram picks his friends well.

Looks like the author of the article is just reading between the lines.

At the end of WoR, Elhokar was at The Lopen's house during the discovery and move into Urithiru.  And he was injured from the assassination attempt by Moash and Graves, so I doubt he was up for much "ruling", if he does that at all.

Could "the city" perhaps refer to Kholinar? 

As to the highlighted text in the OPs post, I can't help but tie the prefix statement to it: "he’ll need to keep his people in the city from falling apart". Which makes me think of Kholinar. I couldn't really see "in the city" meaning in the warcamps. Possible flub on TOR's side, perhaps?

Or maybe they do mean the warcamps and the whole blurb is veery generalized?

Edit: Sorry, seems like it took the font from the quote and changed my own.

Edited by Ardjet

At the end of book one, after beating up Elhokar, he basically left implicit he was to obey him at all times, making him his puppet. All while telling him he wouldn't be a puppet to the likes of Sadeas, if I remember well.

Delightfully hypocrital, Blackthorn. Meridas Amaram picks his friends well.

Ahh yes, that makes more since. I remember now, he basically treated Elhokar like a child (and frankly he acts like one at times).

Looks like the author of the article is just reading between the lines.

At the end of WoR, Elhokar was at The Lopen's house during the discovery and move into Urithiru.  And he was injured from the assassination attempt by Moash and Graves, so I doubt he was up for much "ruling", if he does that at all.

Could "the city" perhaps refer to Kholinar? 

Makes sense, according to the post above, he's still in charge but Dalinar is more like the one who bosses Elhokar around. 

As for the city, I think he refers to Urithiru.

I think it simply means Elhokar will not be in charge of the Radiants while he may think he should.

Or perhaps one of my theories will come through: Elhokar is going to try to act against Dalinar and Dalinar will have to accept seeing the wrongs in him. He may have loved Gavilar, he may feel guilty for his death, but these aren't an excuse to forgive Elhokar every single misgiving especially once he realized he is punishing the wrong person: his son over his nephew.

Could be a nice plot, I had thought the story may go down this way.

Edited by maxal

Ahh yes, that makes more since. I remember now, he basically treated Elhokar like a child (and frankly he acts like one at times).

"At times" is an understatment, but even then his beating up of Elhokar was everything but necessary, and while his hypocrisy in making him a puppet was more than understandable, and perhaps even necessary in the light of the on-going crisis, it was still hypocrisy.

That is what I think will be either what kills Dalinar or what he must face before it does: his tendency to take all power to himself, to speak of sharing responsabilities and obeying codes, but assuming he is the only one that gets to dictate which are those.

• Chaos locked this topic