Lounge

king007

8 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I'll be there!

Darn you both! I've spent the whole day thinking about how fun it would be to meet up, and then being crushed every time I remember it's on a boat.

Sticking my head in to briefly interrupt this conversation about ships and boats because I have a mildly celebratory note and feel like sharing. I submitted a paper proposal to the Academic  Conference on Science Fiction and Fantasy! And it was accepted! Hooray!

5 hours ago, kaisa said:

then being crushed every time I remember it's on a boat

I've got an idea, maybe we should have a Reading Excuses Cruise - on land!! How do you feel about trains?

(I love trains, but flags... less so)

Edited by Robinski

Sign me up for the train cruise! Maybe not this year, though, This year seems crazy for travelling.

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone! The topic is Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven. I'll be comparing the myths of the Kitan and Bogu peoples in Under Heaven to the myths of their real-world counterparts (the Tang Chinese and the Uighur nomad--predecessors of the Mongols) to argue that Kay's portrayal of the myths in Under Heaven reflect  Western ways of writing about Central Asian cultures as much as they reflect the cultural beliefs of those peoples at the time.

19 minutes ago, Silk said:

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone! The topic is Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven. I'll be comparing the myths of the Kitan and Bogu peoples in Under Heaven to the myths of their real-world counterparts (the Tang Chinese and the Uighur nomad--predecessors of the Mongols) to argue that Kay's portrayal of the myths in Under Heaven reflect  Western ways of writing about Central Asian cultures as much as they reflect the cultural beliefs of those peoples at the time.

That sounds really interesting! If it ends up somewhere available to the public you should share a link! (and if it doesn't, let me know the cite when you have it so I can mooch university databases to get it... :3 )

@Silk congratulations! That sounds amazing! I'd very much like to read it. Let us know when it is available for ILL/purchase?

@Robinski I can do trains! I doubt one person's preference would sway the WE organizers, but if by chance they are lurking and reading this...

But yeah, I get monstrously sick, even on big boats. I can do very small boats like kayaks because I can control the movement to some extent, but nothing much bigger than that. :( 

3 hours ago, Silk said:

Sign me up for the train cruise! Maybe not this year, though.

5 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Heh--just tell me where.

3 hours ago, Ernei said:

Come to Poland,

2 hours ago, kaisa said:

I can do trains!

Ha-ha! No, not this year for me either, two weddings/receptions and 20th wedding anniversary trip will use up all my holiday time. Leave it with me and I'll come up with some madcap idea that will never work. So far, I'm thinking the Orient Express, which goes to Krakow!! Like I said, 'madcap'...

7 hours ago, Silk said:

Sign me up for the train cruise! Maybe not this year, though, This year seems crazy for travelling.

Oh yay, congrats Silk! I'm always happy to see Asiatic examination.

---

I like trains. Underwater tunnels scare me a little bit, but otherwise, the feeling of the world zipping beneath my feet without end is wonderful.

Thanks everyone! 

I don't know whether this will end up being publicly available/available for purchase through the conference, as it will basically just be me giving a talk to everyone who's there. That said, the conference DOES sometimes publish their proceedings, though I have no idea how often they do that or whether they publish ALL of their speakers from a given year, etc. 

That said, I do have a habit of making presentation transcripts available on my own website, on the days when I get really bored... If I do that with this one I'll let you know. ;)

3 hours ago, Ernei said:

I kinda don't think that people from USA would like to read a story set in another country.

Really? I'm not sure I agree, they really lapped up that story set in Panem ;) 

If it's an unfamiliar setting to some people, I might as fell be fictitious, so I think your city would be just fine!

3 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I got my signed copy in the mail today!

First words: Oooooo,

Second words: It has a map!

Third words: It has a timeline!!

When your copy arrived to me to sign:

First words: Ooooo! (I hadn't gotten my author copies yet)

Second words: Let me get a pen

Third words: Crap, I have to sign with my pen name and how do I make a cursive 'J'!?!

11 hours ago, kaisa said:

Third words: Crap, I have to sign with my pen name and how do I make a cursive 'J'!?!

Lol--I realized early on I needed to not put my standard signature on my books and instead make a "pen signature."

Hey, everyone. :) I'm new to the Shard and I'm interested in writing, so I thought that posting here would be a good place to start. Part of the purpose of this post is just to let people know I'm here, but I was wondering if this thread is the best place to go for getting new ideas about stories I want to write. Are there dedicated creativity threads elsewhere on the Shard? What tools in these forums do you find most useful for improving your writing? Thanks for helping out a newbie. :D

Hey Wisp, welcome to Reading Excuses. This forum operates as a weekly writing group. There is a Welcome... thread that contains the guidelines for how we operate. To summarise, (1) ask Silk to add your email address to the submission list; (2) each week you receive up to 5 writing submissions of up to 5,000 words from members of the forum; (3) read and critique of other people's work (it's not mandatory to read everything); (4) after a week or two, make a request on the Submissions thread to submit your own work the following week (Monday); (5) when the time comes, email out your submission and set up a new thread on the forum for people to submit critiques to you.

It's all in the guidance on the Welcome thread, which is pinned at the top. You might find that Silk is not around a huge amount maybe only on the weekend, so best message as soon as possible to be added to the list.

:) 

Welcome from me too, @Wisps of Aether. Reading the submissions of this group is certainly an option to get some inspiration, but I feel it's more suited to polishing a story after you've already got the ideas. Throw the spaghetti of Writing against the wall of Critiques and see what sticks.

For new ideas (posting yours, seeing others') I'd recommend the Creator's Corner, more specifically the Creation Daily thread (though that's died down somewhat lately).