If Kandra cannot use one another's spikes, then how did TenSoon use OreSeur's blessing of potency?

earthrester

When VenDell addressed the crew about the job, he talked about how ReLuur lost his spike. How it must be collected because the Kandra cannot just use a spike from a some other Kandra. He claims that doing so can cause a violent adverse reaction. However, this goes completely against events in Book 3 HoA. There it talks about how TenSoon took OreSeur's Blessing of Potency after killing him and used it on a number of occasions.

Is this a continuity error, or did I miss something?

Basically that.

TenSoon had his own blessings intact, adding two more. This case is half ReLuur and half TenSoon. Hemalurgic decay apparently affects their memories, so I'd imagine the spiritwebs in the spikes are somehow necessary to their cognitive or memory functions. Trying to Frankenstein yourself two unpaired halves into one guy will probably cause issues.

i thought it was more of a don't than a can't. The idea of sharing seams to make them uncomfortable, like the spikes are intensely private and not shared.

They also can't, not unless they have their own Blessing. ReLuur was apparently in great pain when TenSoon donated one of his in an attempt to restore his mind at least temporarily.

VenDell actually does stipulate that they have a problem using another's spike IF they don't have both of their own already. I'll dig out the quote later.

EDIT: Kindle location 969, p.73

"Trying to use someone else's spikes when you don't have your own already can provoke radical changes in personality, memory, and temperament."

Edited by Senor Feesh

• Chaos locked this topic