[Secret History Spoilers] What are the next books that we can expect to be like this

yurisses

Depends on the type of cosmere-relevance you're looking for. Mistborn and Stormlight are probably the next big ones for what the Shards are getting up to, Elantris will probably have some tidbits on the nature of the realms and such.

Well, considering that Bands of Mourning

(just in case you didn't read BoM before starting to post in the Secret History board) also gave us a scene with Khriss,

I think The Lost Metal will give us more Cosmere tidbits. I doubt, however, that it will be anything like Secret History. I agree that Elantris 2 is the most likely candidate.

I very much doubt that we'll get much out of Oathbringer. I think that Stormlight is going to be the last great epic series that can stand alone (albeit with a whole lot of Cosmere references). My guess is that, even in the back 5, most Cosmere info will be directly related to the Stormlight plot, even though there will be implications for the overarching Cosmere story. 

Now, Brandon has really opened up Pandora/s Box/let the cat out of the bag/whatever other metaphor you like, so he's going to have to keep delivering more like Secret History. I bet you anything that the next novella, after the Stormlight one, is full of Cosmere connections.

I very much doubt that we'll get much out of Oathbringer. I think that Stormlight is going to be the last great epic series that can stand alone (albeit with a whole lot of Cosmere references). 

Agreed. We probably will learn more about the mechanics of Cosmere as applied to Roshar directly: the Oathpact, the origins and current whereabouts of Heralds, Cultivation and her role in all of this, Shadesmar travel and so on. We might get a glimpse of what Hoid is working on - I hope the tradition of Letters continues.  

But it seems that the Cosmere infodump books are going to be in the Mistborn series.  There was a mention of a possibility of the Secret Histories for each of the Mistborn series.  That may be how we learn things.

As for The Lost Metal - what makes me think that we will find out some more Cosmere-related information in that book is that we need some sort of closure with Trell and the red whatever that is surrounding Scadrial.  Since Wax and Wayne books were not originally on the 36-book Cosmere plan, I suspect that no Cosmere-level resolutions will be forthcoming in the fourth W&W book. But we may *learn* what Scadrial is up against, while the real fight against it will be pushed into the "80ies series".

You know, I hadn't really thought it through completely, but there probably will be a ton of unresolved stuff from the Wax and Wayne series, since the next Era is only going to be like 60-80 years later. Heck, I bet we'll even get a cameo from some old codger who turns out to be a character who was young in W&W.

You know, I hadn't really thought it through completely, but there probably will be a ton of unresolved stuff from the Wax and Wayne series, since the next Era is only going to be like 60-80 years later. Heck, I bet we'll even get a cameo from some old codger who turns out to be a character who was young in W&W.

Or Wayne himself.

Yeah. I expect that Mistborn and Elantris are the two series that kind of have to evolve into more cosmere aware series soon. Stormlight seems like it will be the location of one of the final battles involving shards.

The problem is, we can only go so far into the cosmere itself before we need to know why all this is happening and have to go back to the beginning. That isn't something that is planned to happen very soon.

I could see Wayne deciding to live forever, and figuring out how to do it.

Given his new girlfriend, he'd be guaranteed to have company along the way (assuming they stayed together).

I'd like to see Wayne as a recurring character myself but I never saw him as wanting to stick around if Wax wasn't around, and that was confirmed in BoM. But maybe something will change. I really like Wayne. Easily my favorite character of the entire Cosmere.

• Chaos locked this topic