The Heralds went to the Nightwatcher

ChickenPlague

So I was Sharding the Shard when I read a topic concerning the Boons/Banes and realised that the immortality of the Heralds sounds like a Nightwatcher "gift".

-They never die but, have to endure incredible pain.

Another reason I have for suspecting this is the Knights Radiant. The spren fashioned themselves after the Honorblades and Heralds. They not only grant Surges but, also physical ability, as seen with Kaladin. However there is no mention of Knights having longer lifespans or going to Damnation every so often. This is why I think the ability isn't from Honor ,but from a different source (aka Nightwatcher).

The fact that the Heralds wield Honorblades suggests that Honor had at least a small part in their creation. He also tells Dalinar in one of the visions that the spren started to reapeat what he did, which further states that he was the one responsible for creation of Heralds. But I suppose you consider some sort of cooperation between Cultivation and Honor to create Heralds? It could be that Honor gave them the powers and Cultivation added immortality, only she had to do this via Nightwatcher and so it ended up having some fine print. 

...so what I'm trying to ramble out is yes, I agree with the theory.

I don't think the Nightwatcher was involved. Think about how the Heralds were able to break their Oathpact and still remain immortal. It doesn't make sense when you compare it to other cases of the Nightwatcher's work. It's like they got rid of the bane, but kept the boon.

Perhaps the bane shifted when they attempted to wriggle their way out of the first one? If somebody managed to get rid of the bane while keeping the boon - for example, got incredibly inventive mind, but had his money taken away, and then made money back on his inventions - wouldn't the bane change to keep with the spirit of the deal? It case of Heralds, what the "new bane" would be seems pretty easy to spot - they don't have to be Odium's guests any more, but their SAN levels are plummeting.

I don't think the Nightwatcher works like that. Every bane we've seen so far was something mental: forgetting your wife, seeing the world upside-down, varying levels of intelligence. That way it's impossible to "wiggle out" of them.

Bottom line, we don't know enough about the Nightwatcher to prove or disprove this theory.

I don't think the Nightwatcher works like that. Every bane we've seen so far was something mental: forgetting your wife, seeing the world upside-down, varying levels of intelligence. That way it's impossible to "wiggle out" of them.

Bottom line, we don't know enough about the Nightwatcher to prove or disprove this theory.

I was gonna say Lifts wasn't mental, but I guess she was placed a bit more into the Cognitive Realm as either her boon/bane. Not exactly a mental effect, but technically it is I guess.

I was gonna say Lifts wasn't mental, but I guess she was placed a bit more into the Cognitive Realm as either her boon/bane. Not exactly a mental effect, but technically it is I guess.

Actually, now that I've thought a bit more about it, I'm going to revise my opinion. I don't think the banes have to be mental necessarily, but have to be impossible to remove through normal means. It can't let the recipient wiggle out of it like your hypothetical person who lost all of their money. That is a temporary problem that can be fixed, the other banes can't.

• Chaos locked this topic