Shadows of Self dust jacket synopsis--anyone else put off?

Serity

So I've picked up Shadows of Self after rereading Alloy, and I'm currently about a 3rd of the way through the book. Before starting it, however, I made the mistake of reading the blurb on the inside of the dust jacket. Most of it was fine--dry, wouldn't convince me to buy it, but it's a Sanderson so I already know I want to--but then I got to this last paragraph: 

At the heart of the story this time are one of the Mistborn series' most intriguing creations, the kandra, nonhuman creatures who can impersonate any animal or person they've digested. Some of them now work directly for the god Harmony, functioning very much like our angels. But one has gone mad and into rebellion against Harmony, and she is just as determined as Lucifer to have her own way, even at the cost of everything accomplished since the rebirth of Scadrial's civilization.

First of all, this undercuts pretty much the whole drama of the first part by telling us who the murderer is. Wax's investigation--tracking down Idashwy, etc.--all becomes kind of uninteresting when there's no suspense because the inside cover already as much as told us a kandra stole her powers with Hemalurgy and then did the murder.

Second, I might be wrong but I didn't think these books were marketed to a specifically Christian audience. So what brilliant marketer thought "Hey, you know what we should tell people who are deciding whether to buy this book? That it's a metaphor for Christian mythology."

After the previous books, especially Hero of Ages, handled religion in such a mature and thought-provoking way without seeming to pick a side, I had hoped for better than the book coming out and saying "Hey, angels and Lucifer are real. We all know this, right?" I mean, that would be like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows saying "Harry, like our Jesus, died to save the people of his world and was returned to life to triumph over the devil Voldemort." Having similarities to Christian mythology is fine, but when you pull them out that explicitly you're alienating everyone who's not a Christian.

Anyway, I just thought the whole thing was weird. I know it's probably not Brandon's doing, but I'm still disappointed. I usually love buying Brandon's books in physical form because the production value is so high, but this one I'm a little embarrassed to have on my shelf. 

Did anyone else notice/get bothered by this?

I have the audible version of the book, so I never saw that blurb.

That said, It does kinda spoil most of the plot.  Theres still a big thing at the end (not going to spoil it for you), and the actual investigating is pretty interesting overall.

If you can, I would still read it.  You don't have the how, or why of it yet.  And those two pieces are pretty big deals in the book.

"Some of them now work directly for the god Harmony, functioning very much like our angels."

This is a little weird. It's playing pretty fast and loose with even a normal Christian ideology. So not only is it unnecessary, it's poorly written. Wonder how this got past the eye of the editorial staff. Is that on the US version?

Edited by The Invested Beard

Expanding on this, one day I was showing my fiance the hardcover signed books I got from Sanderson as she is considering giving reading them a shot since I love these books so much. Personally i always read ebooks since I read constantly, and that helps me to always have a book on hand, but I have been collecting the hardcovers for just coolness factor. What I realized as I read the descriptions on each of them with her, is I didn't like a single one. I even feel had I never read a Sanderson book before, and read such a description, I would probably have put the books back on the shelf. This surprises me considering how much I love all of Sanderson's books. Has this happened to anyone else? Again for reference, I am speaking of specifically the hardcover english versions

• 3 months later...

I don't even... what? I own the hardcover of SoS (never actually read it as most of my reading is done on my kindle app) and I will definitely be checking this out when I get home. How did that EVER make it past... well, anyone? This is pretty mind-bending to me haha.

• Chaos locked this topic