[Secret History Spoiler] Killed Him

Tri

I actually think that you may be onto something. Hoid clearly collects different types of Investiture. He acquires some for himself, but he might also be stashing others (and things like Breaths are transferrable anyway). What I doubt is that he is the head (or the brains behind) an Adonalsium restoration project.

I don't think Hoid is equipped to "head" anything. He is doing his own thing with his own agenda. Ghostbloods, Ire, 17th Shard, etc are all engaged in some sort of power struggle on the cosmeric stage and Hoid is a fly in the ointment for all of them. Edited by Lurky McLurkerson

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, or has been discussed yet so far (didn't see it, but could have missed it), but something I found very interesting in the discussion with Khriss.

The original shard holders did indeed kill Adonalsium. Now forgive me if that was already confirmed previously, but I didn't know that was for certain!

It also makes me think of what Hoid said to Dalinar in Way of Kings.

“I wonder if you could do that to a man. Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk. Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian. If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me. Or perhaps Gibletish.

Edit: Whoops, looks like this is already being discussed.

Edited by Kassil

Just a fleeting thought, but we now know that in order to take a Shard your own personal intent needs to align with the intent of the Shard.

What if the intent of the shard that the original Vessels received is a reflection of their intent in killing adonalsium?

Perhaps something happened in Ati's life that resulted in a desire to see the Cosmere change (as someone put it, to start a revolution). Perhaps Bavadin was tired of a realm controlled by a single entity and wanted to bring freedom to his kin. Etc, etc.

I don't have the time to think on this more in depth, but something that I've always wondered was why the Shards formed the intents they did. I can't remember the exact WoB, but didn't someone ask something along the lines of if Adonalsium was shattered in an entirely different situation than the Shards would have same intents, and Mr. Sanderson confirmed that they would not have.

In my mind, that theory makes the most sense, both due to our understanding of how magic is affected by the Cognitive aspect of men and how well it foreshadows the greater narrative, much like how Ym's beliefs aligned rather accurately with what happened to Adonalsium.

I don't think Hoid is equipped to "head" anything. He is doing his own thing with his own agenda. Ghostbloods, Ire, 17th Shard, etc are all engaged in some sort of power struggle on the cosmeric stage and Hoid is a fly in the ointment for all of them.

Hoid has importance within the Worldsingers and is hypothesised to have had a hand in their creation, as well as that of the Worldbringers.

Edited by yurisses

Well, the Shards broke into 16 different intents, which matches the number of people who participated in using the weapon to kill Adonalsium.  It seems that there could have been 17 Shards if another person had been involved. Indeed, it seems that Hoid rejected the others, so he could have been the Vessel for the 17th Shard if he went along with them.

So the 17th Shard is hunting the person who could have been the 17th Shard... :huh:

• Chaos locked this topic