The Hidden Place [Secret History Spoiler]

scottwo

So, Yolen is now hidden somehow in the cosmere and Khriss is searching for it.

"Other planets," she repeated gently. "Yes, there are dozens of them. Many are inhabited by people much like you or me. There is an original, shrouded and hidden somewhere in the cosmere. I've yet to find it, but I have found stories."

Could this be her main motivation for all her travel and info gathering? Is Yolen her end-goal?

Edited by scottwo

Good question!

Given the time frame she is in at the time it makes sense that the planet isn't reachable in the Physical Realm, and hiding it in the Cognitive Realm is something we haven't seen before.

Could Khriss be on Scadrial, before and after Harmony's Ascension, because she wants to know how FTL works so that she can reach Yolen via Physical means?

I would guess that it's a major milestone in her quest, because getting there does not solve the problem of rampaging Shards or whatever force opposed Adonalsium.  More precisely, Yolen holds a whole slew of very important secrets to the past of the Cosmere which will almost certainly be important down the road.

One wonders, then, how in the Stormlight Archive Ars Arcanum she expresses some familiarity with the magic systems.

I doubt that she wants to get there via Physical means, because that would involve waiting until the Scadrians develop the technology and there are very important cosmere events going on in that time.  In some senses, figuring out why she can't go in the Cognitive realm is probably almost as interesting a question.

Maybe Yolen is dead in the Cognitive realm (turning the whole planet into the physical version of a Cognitive shadow)? That way there is no "string" (to use Kelsier's and Preservation's phrasing) connecting the planet to the Cognitive realm and removing access to it from the Cognitive realm at the same time... but if this is the case, what on Yolen could possibly kill the Cognitive ability of an entire planet and still leaving the Physical aspect of the planet untouched?

I would guess that it's a major milestone in her quest, because getting there does not solve the problem of rampaging Shards or whatever force opposed Adonalsium. More precisely, Yolen holds a whole slew of very important secrets to the past of the Cosmere which will almost certainly be important down the road.

One wonders, then, how in the Stormlight Archive Ars Arcanum she expresses some familiarity with the magic systems.

I doubt that she wants to get there via Physical means, because that would involve waiting until the Scadrians develop the technology and there are very important cosmere events going on in that time. In some senses, figuring out why she can't go in the Cognitive realm is probably almost as interesting a question.

She only compares lightweaving to Yolish lightweaving though, right?

Hoid does that one often, you don't have to find Yolen to witness it necessarily.

Good question!

Given the time frame she is in at the time it makes sense that the planet isn't reachable in the Physical Realm, and hiding it in the Cognitive Realm is something we haven't seen before.

Could Khriss be on Scadrial, before and after Harmony's Ascension, because she wants to know how FTL works so that she can reach Yolen via Physical means?

In The Secret History, she's pretty clear that she thinks Scadrial is going to be destroyed. Unless you think she was lying, (I suppose it's possible that she and Nazh were agreed on nudging Kelsier towards the IRE in order to save the planet...) she's probably very surprised that the planet survived, and she outright stated her only reason for not leaving completely was that she wanted to observe Preservation's death.

I doubt she had any clue that they'd go on to figure out FTL.

Maybe Yolen is dead in the Cognitive realm (turning the whole planet into the physical version of a Cognitive shadow)? That way there is no "string" (to use Kelsier's and Preservation's phrasing) connecting the planet to the Cognitive realm and removing access to it from the Cognitive realm at the same time... but if this is the case, what on Yolen could possibly kill the Cognitive ability of an entire planet and still leaving the Physical aspect of the planet untouched?

I would say that the history explains it as a lack of perpindicularity.

I think it's more likely that Yolen is being actively hidden. I can't imagine a way to kill the cognitive aspect of a planet while leaving the physical intact (resulting in mindless animals maybe?). And while this is pure speculation, my guess is Yolen is where Frost and his kind are still hanging out - meaning that there are still thinking beings on the planet. It could even be that they're the ones hiding the place somehow.

If there were no life on Yolen (even plants), then it wouldn't be possible to go there through Cognitive Realm, right? So maybe there are many interesting books and other info sources on Yolen, but it's hidden because no one is alive there.

Thats why I'm saying the reason is probably not because everyone is dead, as our best guess Frost is still there, and still alive. So its more likely being hidden in some other way, possibly by Frost and others like him. Or by a Shard or Hoid or anything, we really have no idea. I just doubt everyone there is dead.

Liar spoilers:

Skullmoss killed everything on it, making it contract in the Cognitive?

In The Secret History, she's pretty clear that she thinks Scadrial is going to be destroyed. Unless you think she was lying, (I suppose it's possible that she and Nazh were agreed on nudging Kelsier towards the IRE in order to save the planet...) she's probably very surprised that the planet survived, and she outright stated her only reason for not leaving completely was that she wanted to observe Preservation's death.

I doubt she had any clue that they'd go on to figure out FTL.

I think Khriss wasn't necessarily lying, but I doubt she was being completely truthful either.

I still think that her second visit to Scadrial was specifically to find out about the use of the Metallic Arts for FTL though.

Wouldn't preventing world-hopping be essentially the same thing as hiding the planet though? You could visit the cognitive aspect of the planet but not have any effect (most likely) on the inhabitants. The only way to physically change planets that we know right now of is world-hopping.

I guess the question is, what is the planet hidden from? World-hoppers or the shards?

Hoid was angry that Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin because it made it harder to travel to Scadrial. I think by destroying the shardpools on a planet, you remove the ability to jump from the Cognitive Realm to the Physical. Could hiding the planet be as simple as that?

Edited by nervousnerd

Wouldn't preventing world-hopping be essentially the same thing as hiding the planet though? You could visit the cognitive aspect of the planet but not have any effect (most likely) on the inhabitants. The only way to physically change planets that we know right now of is world-hopping.

I guess the question is, what is the planet hidden from? World-hoppers or the shards?

Hoid was angry that Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin because it made it harder to travel to Scadrial. I think by destroying the shardpools on a planet, you remove the ability to jump from the Cognitive Realm to the Physical. Could hiding the planet be as simple as that?

It might be. However, we see Hoid in BoM and the atium has regenerated, so he can move around all he wants.

Yolen is hidden from Worldhoppers, I'm sure.

It might be. However, we see Hoid in BoM and the atium has regenerated, so he can move around all he wants.

I'm pretty sure there's no atium anymore (beyond whatever Marsh has left). Hoid is on Scadrial now through Harmony's shardpool, referenced in the SoS broadsheet.

I'm pretty sure there's no atium anymore (beyond whatever Marsh has left). Hoid is on Scadrial now through Harmony's shardpool, referenced in the SoS broadsheet.

WoB are unclear whether atium has regenerated or not. I don't think anyone's asked him lately because it was RAFO'd last time.

Yolen is hidden from Worldhoppers, I'm sure.

Yes but there is a shardholder on Yolen? Without one I assume no shardpool would regenerate which is why travel to Sel is difficult.

It could be that Adonalsium's splintering left the area of space around Yolen untraversible on all 3 realms perhaps

That would make sense as after the splintering of Dominion and Devotion on Sel it was difficult to travel there, and that was only two shards of the whole

There's also a shard that only wants to hide, could it's influence be the one hiding Yolen away?

Depends if that Shard is also the Space Shard or not. If it is, it's not on Yolen itself, so it might be difficult to be Invested enough there to hide the planet.

There is a WOB actually confirming existence of Yolen and intelligent being still living there.(it was my own question)

I believe the planet is hidden with physical means and shards collectively put it out of Adonalsium effected part of space-time. It may still have a cognitive realm but separate from the rest since it is too far away to reach.

Also destroying a shardpool does not make travel impossible, just makes it difficult.

Yes but there is a shardholder on Yolen? Without one I assume no shardpool would regenerate which is why travel to Sel is difficult.

Last time we checked on Sel, the Shards were splintered, but Aona's shardpool appeared to be operational.