Origin of Shardplate

Fiddler

Makes sense. I would like to add that they are likely lesser spren(s) that make up shard plate given that it has less variety (Syl can become any weapon and we've never seen shard plate change nor specific variation like the swords) and it is vulnerable to shard blades and normal weapons (eventually), but shard blades are indestructible even after death.

Makes sense. I would like to add that they are likely lesser spren(s) that make up shard plate given that it has less variety (Syl can become any weapon and we've never seen shard plate change nor specific variation like the swords) and it is vulnerable to shard blades and normal weapons (eventually), but shard blades are indestructible even after death.

However, we do know this... there's a variation in blades - no two blades are the same... no two coats of plate are the same... at least that's what I took away from Shallan using that as an excuse to "document" the various suits of plate and blades in camp...  So you've got styles in play... whether from the main person/knight... or from the spren involved... 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this idea on the forum before...and I think it makes a lot of sense.  (especially when supported by a positive WoB)

Assuming that this is true...what I'm curious about is this...does this mean that every piece of shard plate in the world is essentially a dead "lesser" spren.  And the reason that knights radiant don't have a bad reaction to touching them is simply that they don't matter that much?

*Hammond intensifies*

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought or two... I also find it interesting how Syl can shift her form/requirements as Kaladin needs/desires... and I wonder if that won't play a role with shard plate...

We know from the 'Midnight Essence' scene that ShardPlate does have some adaptive features. Dalinar remarks two or three times about the sudden absence or presence of the Knights' helms. At one point he notes that a Knight's helm is missing and then he notices that the same Knight was wearing his/her helm; he asks something like, "When did she put that on?"

So, apparently the Knights could magically/mentally remove their armor at will (or at least parts of it). To me, this seems like it is very similar to Syl's ability to "shift her form as Kaladin needs/desires."

More interesting would be how far this ability can be stretched. Does the Knight have any say in the features of his/her armor? For instance, could spikes be added to the sabatons (foot gear) for increased kicking damage or gauntlets could be augmented with sword-like blade protrusions (e.g. the sword arm Edward Elrich uses in Full Metal Alchemist; see attached pic)? If so, it would help to overcome some of the known vulnerabilities of shard-bearers (e.g. rendering them impotent by tying them up & their ineffective close-quarters fighting abilities).

post-17242-0-99389200-1457443372_thumb.j

post-17242-0-23482100-1457443386_thumb.p

Edited by KidWayne

Yes and ornamentation is often added, but even then the shape of the pieces of each suit of shardplate is still said to be unique.

I also find it interesting how Syl can shift her form/requirements as Kaladin needs/desires... and I wonder if that won't play a role with shard plate...

Isn't there something about shardplate adjusting to the size of the wearer? I thought there was something about it changing size to fit the wearer. Like of you are smaller it tightens up to fit you so it is not loose and if you are big it expands to encompass you. That shows some variability in it i think, just not to the extend of Syl changing to be a weapon, and i think she even changed into a shield at one point during the fight with Szeth (but i may not be remembering that correctly).

Isn't there something about shardplate adjusting to the size of the wearer? I thought there was something about it changing size to fit the wearer. Like of you are smaller it tightens up to fit you so it is not loose and if you are big it expands to encompass you. That shows some variability in it i think, just not to the extend of Syl changing to be a weapon, and i think she even changed into a shield at one point during the fight with Szeth (but i may not be remembering that correctly).

Yep, I remember both of those things too. I think the size changing may have been when Kaladin wore the gauntlet in the duel, or maybe Adolin when he wore Dalinar's plate?

Syl also definitely was a shield, albeit briefly (she turned into a spear or sword right after to strike back).

It strikes me as likely that the Shardplate could indeed be shaped to the desires and needs of the Radiant, including spikes or other changes as suggested.

jW

• Chaos locked this topic