Online Writing Group

v8v8

Anyone interested in forming an online writing group?

It's pretty much based on Brandon's suggestions from his lectures...submit 1,000 words each week and encourage each other to learn and grow in our craft.

Ideally, the group would have 4-6 members. If you're interested, please reply to this post!

Thanks!

Reading excuses does that.

Reading Excuses has a larger group than that. This way it's closer and people are more likely to read the whole story. As the OP says, Brandon's has recommended a smaller group.

I wouldn't mind being part of it, except for the fact that I tend to write (and read) somewhat sporadically. I've been trying to make writing a more regular habit in my timetable, though, so this might work as a sort of incentive to get the words down.

One question. How would you correspond with the other members of the group?

Reading Excuses has a larger group than that. This way it's closer and people are more likely to read the whole story. As the OP says, Brandon's has recommended a smaller group.

I wouldn't mind being part of it, except for the fact that I tend to write (and read) somewhat sporadically. I've been trying to make writing a more regular habit in my timetable, though, so this might work as a sort of incentive to get the words down.

One question. How would you correspond with the other members of the group?

Great! There are a lot of free online services we could use...google docs, dropbox, skype, basecamp, slack. I think once our group is set, we can figure out which one to use.

I keep my work as google documents.  It allows for easy commenting on specific passages and even has a built-in chat program.

I'll provide three links to my works-in-progress, as well as updates here.

The first is the novel in question, second draft.  If nobody minds, I'll post it in thousand-or-so word chunks here as I review the text, but will (possibly) forge further ahead in the google document, presenting prose here after it's had a once-over.  

The second is a group of vignettes, used as section breaks.  They explore the setting more and are the only things not in first person.  My original intent was to have them be stylized (fairy tale, Arthurian, historical essay, gospel) but I'm not sure the style really sunk in once I got going.  They're in first draft, but will be posted here when they would be used as section breaks.

The third is a full first draft of the novel.  It's not all remaining canon and you can skip it; of particular note, what ending is there will be changing quite a bit, as there is no denouement. 

I've downloaded The Dark of Night, and will try to have some analysis up tomorrow.

I would like to join

Also, What if we made a joint story, like one of us starts it with a paragraph and the next person writes the next paragraph and so on

Different perspectives/characters might work better than paragraph by paragraph. I'm down for whatever, I just want to write. :)

I would like to join

Also, What if we made a joint story, like one of us starts it with a paragraph and the next person writes the next paragraph and so on

For me personally all I want to write is the book i've started, and to get feedback/advice/motivation. And obviously i'm willing to do the same for others to get that.

For me personally all I want to write is the book i've started, and to get feedback/advice/motivation. And obviously i'm willing to do the same for others to get that.

For me I just need to be bothered. In fact I have a massive metaphorical portfolio that is my mind that is brimming with ideas for characters, settings, worlds and evil plots not to mention the occasianal idea for world dominatoion

• 7 months later...