Electrum Mistings can burn Atium

Stormgate

So, I noticed that one sixteenth of the mistfallen were atium burners. This doesn't make sense, since that would mean the other, normal sixteen metals have a statistically lower number. So what if electrum burners (electrum having the altered effect of atium) can also burn atium, they just don't know it because there is no more atium?

Pretty sure Brandon said that Preservation was mucking up the system to allow that to happen. As in, that number isn't natural. By the way, I don't think we even know if atium mistings by themselves are natural.

So, I noticed that one sixteenth of the mistfallen were atium burners. This doesn't make sense, since that would mean the other, normal sixteen metals have a statistically lower number. So what if electrum burners (electrum having the altered effect of atium) can also burn atium, they just don't know it because there is no more atium?

When Preservation set up the mist-Snapping mechanism he swapped out cadmium/bendalloy with atium/malatium.

Atium Misting was impossible in Nature, Preservation made the swap because he need them to burn Ruin's Body.

After Harmony "fixed" the Allomancy, no Seer will ever born/snap

Edited by Yata

So what are they going to do when Atium comes back?

Without any Mistborn/FullFeruchemist nothing I suppose.... There is always his Hemalurgyc use.

But I suppose that in the Era 2 Atium will be quite useless. The only use that come to my mind is about Steal strange Attribute to build unknown Costruct with Hemalurgy.

Edited by Yata

Well to answer your question stormgate I think that everybody is a misting of some sort. Heres my reasoning with the bar 16 metals you can make alloys of all of them with the good metals so with atium laresium harmonium and the mysterious red metal if it is a good metal 16 potential turns into 64 and that is without the leresium alloys. In total the potential mistings just quadrupled and 16 of those might be able to burn the atium alloys.

Without any Mistborn/FullFeruchemist nothing I suppose.... There is always his Hemalurgyc use.

But I suppose that in the Era 2 Atium will be quite useless. The only use that come to my mind is about Steal strange Attribute to build unknown Costruct with Hemalurgy.

There's the theory that any Misting can use the atium alloy of their metal, making atium quite useful (and also allowing Brandon to play with the system come Era 3).

I am rather fond of that theory. It has a nice mechanical "hackery" to it, because you'd presumably be burning atium to power your steel... replacing Ruin with Preservation as your power source, as it were.

Well to answer your question stormgate I think that everybody is a misting of some sort. Heres my reasoning with the bar 16 metals you can make alloys of all of them with the good metals so with atium laresium harmonium and the mysterious red metal if it is a good metal 16 potential turns into 64 and that is without the leresium alloys. In total the potential mistings just quadrupled and 16 of those might be able to burn the atium alloys.

For one, Lerasium alloys are able to be burned by anyone. For another, Sanderson has RAFOed a question about whether Demoux (a known Atium Misting) could have burned malatium. I personally think that any Atium Misting can burn Atium alloys.

There's the theory that any Misting can use the atium alloy of their metal, making atium quite useful (and also allowing Brandon to play with the system come Era 3).

I am rather fond of that theory. It has a nice mechanical "hackery" to it, because you'd presumably be burning atium to power your steel... replacing Ruin with Preservation as your power source, as it were.

I used to believe something like that myself.

But now I change my mind, because Preservation switched the right Temporal Metals with Atium and Malatium. The simply fact that a Malatium Misting may exist in theory. To me break the "an atium misting may burn all the Atium alloy". I know is not a strong proof but I feel it dedply wrong.

Of course the simple existence of Atium & Malatium Misting are somekind of "Allomancy's Hack" and some illogical things may happen ... but for now I find it unlikely.

I used to believe something like that myself.

But now I change my mind, because Preservation switched the right Temporal Metals with Atium and Malatium. The simply fact that a Malatium Misting may exist in theory. To me break the "an atium misting may burn all the Atium alloy". I know is not a strong proof but I feel it dedply wrong.

Of course the simple existence of Atium & Malatium Misting are somekind of "Allomancy's Hack" and some illogical things may happen ... but for now I find it unlikely.

It's an interesting theory... but here's a question I've been thinking about: Mistborn can burn an impure alloy. Can a Misting? I think the answer is "yes", at least if the metal you're burning is close to the Misting's metal. So I would think a Misting can burn an alloy of their metal and just a smidgen of atium. And if they can burn that, then it would make sense for the atium to be burned and release its power, filtered by the metal it is alloyed with, even if there's only a little atium in the alloy.

The question then becomes to how much atium there can be as part of your alloy before you can't burn it. I'm not sure.

I'd liken it to trying to burn a barely-filled metalmind, which briefly gives you the full Feruchemical effect, then runs out.

Just a theory for the moment, though. I do see where you're coming from. If the theory is true, it doesn't make much sense for malatium Mistings to exist. There's a few theories to explain that, but they're all stretches. That said, we've never seen a malatium Misting on-screen, so I'm okay with ignoring their existence. Brandon does tend to retcon the occasional WoB, and malatium Mistings are from a really old one.

For one, Lerasium alloys are able to be burned by anyone. For another, Sanderson has RAFOed a question about whether Demoux (a known Atium Misting) could have burned malatium. I personally think that any Atium Misting can burn Atium alloys.

Was the "Lerasium alloys can be burned by anyone" bit ever confirmed? I thought that was still a theory.

I still think it's true, I just hadn't heard about any confirmations or otherwise.

Edited by King's Twit

Searching for lerasium in the Theoryland Interview Database resulted in the following WoBs:

Think of lerasium as a metal anyone can burn.

(Source.)

Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.

(Source.)

There are probably other related WoBs outside of Theoryland, but I think those two should suffice. The second one is useful in contradicting those who claim that "anyone" only means "anyone born on Scadrial".

Edited by skaa

Searching for lerasium in the Theoryland Interview Database resulted in the following WoBs:

There are probably other related WoBs outside of Theoryland, but I think those two should suffice. The second one is useful in contradicting those who claim that "anyone" only means "anyone born on Scadrial".

Right, anyone can burn Lerasium, and so I understand and agree with the logic that anyone can burn it's alloys, I just don't think that these particular WoB, or ones similar, confirm that.

Right, anyone can burn Lerasium, and so I understand and agree with the logic that anyone can burn it's alloys, I just don't think that these particular WoB, or ones similar, confirm that.

Given that the alloys turn the burner into a Misting of the metal the Lerasium is alloyed with, it'd be rather odd if anyone couldn't burn them.

What? Neither of the WoB that he posted said that the alloys turned you into a misting.

I know I've read the WoB, but apparently I'm rubbish at actually finding it today.  But yes, that's what the alloys do.

Really a pointless use for lerasium.

Unless you only have one bead and multiple people who want specific powers.  Then you have the ability to divide it up and make different people the different types of Mistings they want to be.  Of course, we don't know how much Lerasium is needed in the alloy, so figure....1 Lerasium Mistborn vs. 2 or more extremely powerful Mistings of their choice.

I know I've read the WoB, but apparently I'm rubbish at actually finding it today. But yes, that's what the alloys do.

Okay, looking back through my posts and the responses, I realize that I was unclear, but a WoB like this or one that outright confirmed that the alloys were universally burnable was what I was looking for.

I agree that, if the alloys turn you into mistings, then they would be burnable by anyone, I just didn't know that we had confirmation that this is what the Lerasium alloys do. Thanks!

Unless you only have one bead and multiple people who want specific powers.  Then you have the ability to divide it up and make different people the different types of Mistings they want to be.  Of course, we don't know how much Lerasium is needed in the alloy, so figure....1 Lerasium Mistborn vs. 2 or more extremely powerful Mistings of their choice.

Split the bead. Everyone has fifteen extra powers.

Unless you only have one bead and multiple people who want specific powers. Then you have the ability to divide it up and make different people the different types of Mistings they want to be. Of course, we don't know how much Lerasium is needed in the alloy, so figure....1 Lerasium Mistborn vs. 2 or more extremely powerful Mistings of their choice.

I think that, if the Lerasium alloys come up in the text, it will be because Harmony wanted to gift someone or a group abilities, but not the full spectrum of allomancy, for fear of them becoming too much more powerful than anyone else. That could disrupt the balance, creating discord instead of harmony.

Split the bead. Everyone has fifteen extra powers.

Right, but what Kaymyth is suggesting is that 1/16 of that bead, if alloyed with, say, steel, would make the person who burned it as powerful at burning steel as the Mistborn who used the whole, pure Lerasium bead would be, so alloying the whole bead with steel would make you 16 times as strong at burning steel than a Lerasium mistborn would be.

So your choosing between having a bunch of relatively weak mistborns, or a bunch of extremely strong mistings

Edited by King's Twit