Stormwarden script is basically l33t speak

High prince of geeks

So, here's the part where Shallan deciphers the stormwarden script:

Shallan crept forward, her solitary sphere revealing a room draped with maps and strewn with papers. They were covered in glyphs that had been scribbled quickly, not made to be beautiful. She could barely read most of them.

I’ve heard of this, she thought. The stormwarden script. The way they get around the restrictions on writing.
Origin . . . direction . . . uncertainty. . . . The place of the center is uncertain? That was probably what it meant.
Other notes were similar, and she translated in her head. Perhaps pushing this direction will yield results. Warriors spotted watching from here. Other groupings of glyphs made no sense to her. This script was bizarre. Perhaps Pattern could translate it, but she certainly couldn’t.
Aside from the maps, the walls were covered in long sheets of paper filled with writing, figures, and diagrams. Amaram was working on something, something big—

Parshendi! she realized. That’s what those glyphs mean. Parap-shenesh-idi. The three glyphs individually meant three separate things—but together, their sounds made the word “Parshendi.” That was why some of the writings seemed like gibberish. Amaram was using some glyphs phonetically. He underlined them when he did this, and that allowed him to write in glyphs things that never should have worked. The stormwardens really were turning glyphs into a full script.

@High Prince: While your idea is very amusing, I think it's more likely that Brandon's inspiration for Stormwarden script is how the Koreans and the Japanese in ancient times used Chinese characters to represent the sounds (phonemes) of their own languages (which are very different from the Chinese language). This is exactly what the Stormwardens are doing: taking symbols that represent words and using them to represent sounds. And like the Stormwarden script, this must've been confusing for a lot of Koreans and Japanese in the past because you had to differentiate symbols that are meant to be read as words and symbols that are meant to be read as sounds (Stormwardens apparently do it by underlining the phonetic glyphs).

The Koreans called their system of using Chinese characters to write in their language Idu, and they abandoned it after the invention of the Korean alphabet. The Japanese, who called Chinese-derived sound-symbols manyougana, had a similar development, but it differs from the Koreans' in a way that's relevant to this thread. Instead of inventing an alphabet, some of the Japanese decided to just sort of write manyougana in a very sloppy manner (like how Stormwardens write glyphs), some even lopping off parts of the Chinese characters to simplify them. Over time, these became the Japanese syllabaries hiragana and katakana.

What's interesting is that unlike the Alethi, it was Japanese women who had limited access to education and so had to resort to the less "elite" way of writing, i.e. hiragana. The Korean alphabet was also meant to be for the non-elite, but you guys probably know that already from Brandon's talks about it.
Edited by skaa

That was the map I was referring to. Didn't know that was Thaylen script, is that mentioned anywhere?

I don't remember if it was mentioned explicitly, but somebody figured it out pretty soon after the book came out. There is a translation thread somewhere... 

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it was my idea that it was Thaylen characters on the map. I don't believe we have any direct confirmation. The fact that it was presumably a chart from Tozbek's ship and that when the language was decoded, it was discovered to have no vowels seems to imply that it's Thaylen pretty strongly to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it was my idea that it was Thaylen characters on the map. I don't believe we have any direct confirmation. The fact that it was presumably a chart from Tozbek's ship and that when the language was decoded, it was discovered to have no vowels seems to imply that it's Thaylen pretty strongly to me.

Also, there's some reference to Thaylen words sounding all smashed together, which matches the feel of the writing.

I thought maybe cut in half?

Yeah, it seems like the Alethi glyphs and Thaylen writing have some basic shapes in common, but the glyph versions are reflected symmetrically.

Edited by Harakeke

• Chaos locked this topic