Question about the Odium and the Cosmere books in general

Tybou_14

So it seems to me as if The Stormlight Archive is pointing towards defeating Odium at the end to save Roshar. However it also seems as if Odium is the big problem throughout the whole Cosmere. If he is defeated in Stormlight Archive, what will be left for the Dragonsteel books? The only answer i can see is that they somewhat defeat him but not completely, or that there may be a bigger problem thats not seen yet. It may be a stupid question to ask since Brandon almost never disappoints but still......  Could somebody please shed some light on what may happen?

Brandon's ways are deep and mysterious. It does little good to try to predict his future. You must learn to live within the moment, focusing on the Living Force and trying to read the deep Adonalsioid secrets. It is the only way. 

Welcome! Have an upvote for joining us!

I know nothing, so your guesses are probably better than mine, but here are some possibilities:

• Other problem Shards (are there any unknown at this point?)
  • Mending broken Shards
  • Putting Humpty-DumptyAdonalsium together again
  • Dealing with whatever inspired the Shattering in the first place
  • Finding some other force of balance or stability
  • Destroying the Shards of Adonalsium totally
  • Dealing w/Hoid

These last two don't seem desirable at this point, but I wouldn't put anything past Brandon. 

Edited by hoser

I always got the feeling dragon steel would be set before or soon after the shattering of Adonalsium. the most important thing to remember just because odium is the main bad man in The Storm light archive does not mean he has anything to do with the other 9 shards we don't know much about. Many great stories in the Cosmere don't deal with larger issues of the universe.  

Welcome by the way

Liar of Partinel and its sequel take place pre-Shattering but the "main" part of the Dragonsteel series take place hundreds of years later (there is some confusion on whether Liar and its sequel count toward the 7 books of the Dragonsteel series, or are counted separately). 

There's also some evidence that there is something opposed to Adonalsium, from a few Brandon quotes. That could end up being the real Big Bad.

Adonalasium was indeed opposed by "something", so there's always that unknown.

But even if that's reserved for the Dragonsteel series, let's remember that Mistborn didn't deal with Odium even a little; and it was a major hit.

Even setting Shardic Wars aside, we can look at Warbreaker. A book with absolutely no Shardic opposition whatsoever.

Never fear. The ​Force Cosmere will be with you. Always.

• Chaos locked this topic