Szeth is a former Stone Shaman

Oversleep

Likely. I mean, most Surgebinders (except maybe the Transportation and Transformation Surges) could easily take down a Shardbearer, probably even an inexperienced Windrunner. Not Kaladin though. Kaladin's too awesome to be taken down by Surgebinding Shin.

[szeth] mentions that the Shamanate told him "The powers of old are no more. The Knights Radiant have fallen. We are all that remains." makes me think the Stone Shamanate wad created to guard the honorblades and knowledge of the Desolations until the True Desolation, but they grew drunk with power and turned the whole Shin society into an isolationist cult dedicated to serving them.

If an acolyte like Szeth convinced the people of Shinovar that the True Desolation was indeed coming, they would be forced to lose their power, so they simply told him he was wrong. After all, he was one of the most loyal members of the most brainwashed group of fanatics in Roshar. If the cult leaders told him he was wrong, he was. Denying that would mean denying the pillars if his warped reality.

The underlined parts of your post remind me of the 2nd generation Kandra from The Hero of Ages. So, if things go this way, it would be classic-Sanderson. In my mind, this gives your arguments merit. It also casts Szeth in the same role as TenSoon. Interesting.

Edited by KidWayne

The underlined parts of your post remind me of the 2nd generation Kandra from The Hero of Ages. So, if things go this way, it would be classic-Sanderson. In my mind, this gives your arguments merit. It also casts Szeth in the same role as TenSoon. Interesting.

Indeed, that also crossed my mind. The way Shin warriors willingly subject themselves to slavery, and Szeth's blind adderence to his punishment, always struck me as being in many ways the same as how TenSoon, and in fact most kandra of certain generations, behaved during missions.

• Chaos locked this topic