Board Games (on table or tablet)

The Rooster

I got turned on to the board game Small World by Days of Wonder really big this year.  It's the first game they played in the YouTube show TableTop with Wil Wheaton.  It's a really fantastic game with a lot of great artwork and simple fantasy tropes represented as a Risk! style game that doesn't go on forever and has tremendous replay value and a deep strategy aspect.  I normally play it with my work friends at lunchtime but I now have a whole new way to play.  They recently had a Kickstarter to expand their improved app to Android tablets as well as iOS and the Android.  It's finally out and the App is fantastic!  It makes the game super accessible to newbies and has a very slick UI. 

If anyone has the app and wants to play my Days of wonder username is AGRooster and if you start a game with me I'm down. 

Any other favorite board games or board game apps?  I think that tablets have really revitalized some board games for the newer generations tho sometime cardboard is KING!

• 4 weeks later...

I've kind of been holding back on board games until I decide to buy a tablet (playing them on my phone is alright, but bigger screen is bigger). I got Elder Sign: Omens a while back, but it applied too much boot to my posterior, so I let it wait for the time when I have a tablet at my disposal during bathroom breaks...

I've kind of been holding back on board games until I decide to buy a tablet (playing them on my phone is alright, but bigger screen is bigger). I got Elder Sign: Omens a while back, but it applied too much boot to my posterior, so I let it wait for the time when I have a tablet at my disposal during bathroom breaks...

Oh, I didn't know there was a version of that for android ... I played the Elder Sign boardgame over thanksgiving, it was fun but I think not as much fun as Arkham Horror.

Oh, I didn't know there was a version of that for android ... I played the Elder Sign boardgame over thanksgiving, it was fun but I think not as much fun as Arkham Horror.

If you like Arkham Horror, i HIGHLY recommend Eldritch Horror. It plays very similar to arkham horror in style and goals, and it's made by the same people (FFG) and also Call of Cthulhu/Lovecraftian based, but i honestly enjoy it more. It's much more streamlined, and less "chunky" than AH, and your goals change depending on the ancient one chosen, and the randomly drawn mystery.

Essentially, where AH is you running around trying to save a small town trying to stop the ancient one, Eldritch horror is you traveling the globe trying to stop the ancient one from awakening. Unlike AH where your main goal is to essentially close gates, in EH gates are still a thing, but that's not your main goal. Your main goal is to solve 3 mysteries, which are randomly drawn. An example of a couple i remember off the top of my head:

1) Close a gate per normal rules, and afterwards discard 2 spell cards. Put a counter on the mystery, when you have counters equal to 1/2 the amount of players, the mystery is solved.

2) When you cast a spell, spend a clue token. Put a counter on the mystery, when the counters equal the number of players, solve the mystery.

Other board games of interest i enjoy:

Mansions of madness (another CoC game by FFG, plays slightly similar to descent listed below)

Descent 2nd edition (essentially a 'D&D light' board game, except competitive with players vs 'DM')

Munchkin quest (like the munchkin card game except with miniatures and dungeon exploration)

Space alert (a super-frantic, chaotic space board game)

• 3 weeks later...

If you like Arkham Horror, i HIGHLY recommend Eldritch Horror. It plays very similar to arkham horror in style and goals, and it's made by the same people (FFG) and also Call of Cthulhu/Lovecraftian based, but i honestly enjoy it more. It's much more streamlined, and less "chunky" than AH, and your goals change depending on the ancient one chosen, and the randomly drawn mystery.

Oh yeah, I saw that in the game store, it looked intriguing! I couldn't quite tell from the box how similar it was to AH, so thanks for the summary!