Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

9 minutes ago, Penumbra said:

Ok so, I'm going to sound so grumpy now, but a pet peeve of mine is when people talk in cutesy voices in regular situations. I don't really get it, I guess?

This is completely valid. If you're not talking to an animal or a baby, speak like a storming adult. 

12 hours ago, King Cole said:

When people misspell my name "coal" it drives me crazy

Okay old king coal ;)

12 hours ago, Penumbra said:

Ok so, I'm going to sound so grumpy now, but a pet peeve of mine is when people talk in cutesy voices in regular situations. I don't really get it, I guess?

Does that include people where that is their natural voice? Like Marzia, Pewdiepie's girlfriend, has one of those voices and it annoys my girlfriend when I've sent some of her videos.

15 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Does that include people where that is their natural voice? Like Marzia, Pewdiepie's girlfriend, has one of those voices and it annoys my girlfriend when I've sent some of her videos.

Yes, unfortunately. I always get sceptical if that's how they actually sound, or if they're just so used to making adorable voices they can no longer stop, or never grew out of it ...

12 minutes ago, Penumbra said:

Yes, unfortunately. I always get sceptical if that's how they actually sound, or if they're just so used to making adorable voices they can no longer stop, or never grew out of it ...

You'd probably hate those Japanese women who are always making cutesy voices to be kawaii then.

13 minutes ago, Draginon said:

You'd probably hate those Japanese women who are always making cutesy voices to be kawaii then.

Yep. To be honest, I'm fairly sure that's where most of my adorable-sounding friends got the trait from. I still watch anime every now and then, and I still shudder at all the adorable voices haha.

1 hour ago, Penumbra said:

Yep. To be honest, I'm fairly sure that's where most of my adorable-sounding friends got the trait from. I still watch anime every now and then, and I still shudder at all the adorable voices haha.

It makes sense in anime since those characters are meant to be young, sweet and innocent (the characters I've seen use those voices are either children or up to 15) so a voice like that fits the Japanese mindset. When it's used for older characters, like a teacher or villain, it's just to be creepy or that they're naive.

I hate having to drop stuff off at the campuses between 2-4 because the parents block everything. Today was the first day and the campus near the house needed stuff. Was stuck in the parking lot at the La Quinta across the street for an hour waiting for the parents to leave since I couldn't get in at all.

11 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

It is a minor point, but having to spend my birthday with very few people taking the time to wish me a happy birthday.

Happy birthday... We should get a birthday thread put up.

Edit: Saw there was one after the fact.

Edited by Draginon

When someone doesn't give clear directions or changes the directions after the fact. Stating this one since my mom is apparently having a testy morning and looking for trouble. She wanted to go to the post office to drop off some mail before work. We have to cross a 6 lane road to the post office and we're checking both ways. My side was clear and she's not letting me know if it's clear her way. She kept telling me to get out there and I didn't know if she meant to start creeping out or to get in the middle. She gets mad that I didn't understand her! Then when we get parked for work she opens the trunk and is all "where's the computer?!" At the campus we were at last night we were exchanging a desktop and laptop for the maintenance people, but she told me and the coordinator to put the desktop downstairs in the resource drop off room, not my car. She even says she asked me if it was in the trunk last night, I don't remember her asking that and if she did I probably thought she was talking about my laptop that we had to bring to do a ticket.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Just watched my Way of Kings get Final Destinationed by a cup of coffee flung from my own hand after tripping on a curled up rug.... Only bright side is that it shielded WoR and Arcanum Unbounded completely from the blast zone.

I blame Neil Gaiman. Had I not added him to that specific shelf, the coffee would have gone all over a beat up double I have of Last of the Mohicans. 

The pet peeve is that I've moved that rug 3 times in as many days. 

3 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Just watched my Way of Kings get Final Destinationed by a cup of coffee flung from my own hand after tripping on a curled up rug.... Only bright side is that it shielded WoR and Arcanum Unbounded completely from the blast zone.

I blame Neil Gaiman. Had I not added him to that specific shelf, the coffee would have gone all over a beat up double I have of Last of the Mohicans. 

The pet peeve is that I've moved that rug 3 times in as many days. 

I once had a copy of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None get drenched by a bottle of water. Pretty much I was helping my mom during the summer back when I was still in school and had put the book in her bag for convenience, she didn't properly seal the water she was deinking before putting that in the bag. Managed to dry it out, but it's still stiff from the moisture exposure and drying process.

On 22/08/2017 at 3:18 PM, Sami said:

When someone says "imma...."

It sounds/looks so immature and stupid.

This made me do a double take. Because in Hebrew the word "mother" is אמא, pronounced EE-ma. I tend to spell it "Imma" so I thought for a split second you were upset about people addressing their mothers.

59 minutes ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

This made me do a double take. Because in Hebrew the word "mother" is אמא, pronounced EE-ma. I tend to spell it "Imma" so I thought for a split second you were upset about people addressing their mothers.

That puts Kanye's 2009 quote on a different meaning "Mother let you finish..."

Here's one: when you're reading someone's name and they get mad and pronounce it in a way that makes you wonder how the heck did they get that pronunciation out of that!??! Have a teacher at one of our campuses whose last name is Goos. Seems simple right? Wrong! It's pronounced like ghost without the t. Then there's another whose first name is Bernice. It's a pretty easy one but she claims it's pronounced like furnace with a b sound instead of an f sound.

@Draginon I've often wondered if alternate name spellings come from the illiteracy of the parents? Sometimes it really really looks like they were doing their best to sound it out, instead of just looking rust up to begin with. 
Here's another one.... I hate it when you're trying to sell somebody on a book, and their answer is, "They should make a movie."

Edited by AngelEy3

1 hour ago, AngelEy3 said:

@Draginon I've often wondered if alternate name spellings come from the illiteracy of the parents? Sometimes it really really looks like they were doing their best to sound it out, instead of just looking rust up to begin with. 
Here's another one.... I hate it when you're trying to sell somebody on a book, and their answer is, "They should make a movie."

One of the stranger ones I've heard was one where my mom thought a student was putting a fake name on a test. That students name was Abc, pronounced abca.

I'm one of those who will read the book and wonder if it would make a good movie or not.

Just now, Draginon said:

One of the stranger ones I've heard was one where my mom thought a student was putting a fake name on a test. That students name was Abc, pronounced abca.

I'm one of those who will read the book and wonder if it would make a good movie or not.

oh I do it too, i just get crabby because i can't get anyone irl to read a book.