confession of a bookaholic

Citadel16

okay. confession of a bookaholic.

I first read Elantris when I was thirteen and loved every second of it. I must of reread it... a lot of times. but then the wear and tear of receiving a handmedown book kicked in and all the pages fell out so my parents threw it away(G rated version in case children are reading). two years later I had completely forgotten who had written that book but I still loved the memory of Elantris.

then one day, on my kindle, I instinctively bought The Way of Kings in a seemingly against-my-will fashion (later I would learn that his books simply did that to new readers) and read it in a day-and-a-half. 

I. Loved. Every. Second.

I started buying his books in bulk, infinity blade, legion, and Steelheart. and then I realized...

this was the guy WHO WROTE ELANTRIS!!!!

What the flip?

so what are your Sanderson face palm moments?  Or the seemingly coincidental happenstance situations that prove that heaven is real? When did you become Cosmere aware?

and most importantly...

how long did it take you to read TWoK?

I've got a somewhat similar experience to yours.

A long time back, probably when Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians came out, I would have been around the target age group for it, maybe a little older.  When my mom would go to the library she would sometimes pick up a bunch of books that she thought I might like, this was one of them.

I looked at the cover and blurb, maybe the first page as well, and thought, this book looks stupid, I bet this guy thinks he's soo funny, so I let it go back to the library unread.  (At the time I was really fed up with the wacky, "Oh, I'm so random" humor, and I didn't want to read any books that I thought were too young for me).  As the years progressed I forgot about that experience.

Flash forward to a few years in high school, I started reading the Wheel of Time, which was my gateway drug into a whole world of fantasy books.  I believe I started late freshmen year and finished it late junior year.  Anyway, when I was about halfway through the series, I heard that the guy who was writing the last books wrote his own books which were very good.

So I started alternating the mistborn books between WoT books.  Then the same person told me, that Sanderson also wrote a children's series called Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.

Cue a sudden flashback to my first experience with the book.  It was a very shocking realization.  Now I wish I could go back, kick my younger self in the back of the head and tell him not to be so stuck up and concerned about being patronized.  I started reading that series intermittently after I read mistborn 1-4 and Elantris and quite enjoyed them.

I think I was vaguely aware of the Comsere reading Mistborn and Elantris.  I'd been told, but I didn't think much of it.  I knew to look out for Hoid.  I didn't really start thinking about things until after Warbreaker, and coming into Way of Kings..

When I started Sanderson, there was this big metaphorical pile of books for me to read, plus all the other fantasy books it had introduced me to.  I'm not the type to binge one author or series, so I took things slow, reading a lot of other books in between.  I saw how huge Way of Kings was and knew to save that book for last.

So I started Way of Kings after I'd read all the other Cosmere books that were out, after finishing WoT, Alcatraz and some of his novellas as well.  I may have looked briefly at the Coppermind, but I was waiting to finish WoK, because that was the last thing left to read, and once I finished I could dive in headfirst.

So, knowing it was the last book, I took my time with it, letting it last longer.  I'd just read all the other Sanderson books, so I hadn't been wanting for his fiction yet.  I don't remember how long it took me to read it, over two weeks, less than a month probably.

Once I was finished I hopped onto the Coppermind, reading everything I could find, and had my mind blown several times.  I usually miss a lot of details, so there was a lot I didn't know.

Now the second time I read WoK was to get myself ready for Words of Radiance.  It was the first major Sanderson book that I could get on release date.  I was there for his 2012 novellas and 2013 YA novels, but this was a full blown thousand plus page Cosmere novel and I was really excited.  So I reread Way of Kings over the four days before Radiance came out, then I read that over the next four days.

That was me spending every moment I could spare immersed in the books, during classes, on the bus, after school (I was a senior at the time).  I was so immersed that I dreamt about the characters and Roshar felt more real than Earth.  I was more observant, but still missed some important details (I'm looking at you Zahel.)

I don't know how you people manage to read them so fast.  I could maybe do a day and a half, if I had no other obligations at all.

I don't remember how long WoK took me. But I do remember timing WoR for myself, because I was curious about my reading speed.

Total time including everything else: 39 hours.

Total time spent reading: 13 hours.

That's right. I spent 1 in 3 minutes reading, including sleeping time. It wasn't even a weekend. It was a normal school day (during which I paid very little attention in classes, because I was reading.) I finished the book in Algebra class, and I was full of a ton of emotion that I couldn't express becuase that would draw attention to the fact that I had no idea what was going on in class. It was very frustrating.

It was a normal school day (during which I paid very little attention in classes, because I was reading.) I finished the book in Algebra class, and I was full of a ton of emotion that I couldn't express becuase that would draw attention to the fact that I had no idea what was going on in class. It was very frustrating.

This was me with WoR.  I read it in any class where I wouldn't get yelled at (it's a hard book to read discretely).  I was a senior in highschool at the time, so I didn't care about doing well in any of my classes.

I suppose I work the other way these days - I will buy anything by Brandon, no reservations. 

Same here: I buy prettey much everything written (or even advised) by Terry Pratchett, N. Gaiman and Sanderson :)

WoK took me one week-end and WoR approx. one week. The re-reading took longer though, as I realized I missed several things the first time.

And I second that WoR is not discrete at all to bring along; I had several comments from my colleagues while I was reading it  :P

• Chaos locked this topic