lift as a world hopper

taveren

Jondesu brought this up on anouther topic but i thought it warented its own thread. If lift was on a diferant planet and ate food would she still turn it in to stormlight. lets assume this world has a shard. i would assume she coudl get her surges to work in someway so maybe she would turn it in to that planets native type of investiture. That could be very strange on nalthian if she was makeing breaths.

Well in the Cosmere all is made by Investiture. Pre-Shattering creation by Adonalsium's Investiture and Post-Shattering Creation by Shard's Investiture.

Therefore is normal that she may simple conferted them to Stormlight. It's quite what a Feruchemist do the whole time.

Jondesu brought this up on anouther topic but i thought it warented its own thread. If lift was on a diferant planet and ate food would she still turn it in to stormlight. lets assume this world has a shard. i would assume she coudl get her surges to work in someway so maybe she would turn it in to that planets native type of investiture. That could be very strange on nalthian if she was makeing breaths.

Considering Vasher seems to be able to interchange them,  I don't know if it would really be that odd.

Wow, a mention in the start of a thread!  :-)  My personal leaning would actually be towards no, but we don't really know how the transformation into Stormlight works (is she able to release the innate investiture in those foods, or is her body creating Stormlight somehow in the process of metabolizing the food).

I will say that she trasform any kind of food in Stormlight whatever she is. But now that i thought about.... Does Lift glow when she trasforms Food to Investiture ?

She didn't in the times we saw, but she was eating small amounts, so like our other Radiants not glowing noticeably if they only take in a small amount of Stormlight, I suspect a little bit of food just wouldn't make glow enough to be noticed.  We don't know that for sure either.

jW

She glanced down the hallway. She could swear he was glowing faintly, and he was certainly running too quickly.

Darkness was awesome too.

True, I'd forgotten about that.  Confirmed, she at the very least understood that it meant he was "awesome", and since she very definitely doesn't have formalized knowledge of the Knights Radiant, chances are that means she glows with enough Stormlight too (i.e. lots of food).

jW

Edited by Jondesu

I think it's just plain Investiture. It's not really accurate to call it Stormlight; Stormlight comes from storms. I said that in the other thread where people were talking about Lift, and I got some disagreement, but as I mentioned there, nicrosil. Nicrosil stores pure Investiture. What I don't know is if she would just be a Radiant on other planets, if she would be able to hack their magic systems, or both.

I think it's just plain Investiture. It's not really accurate to call it Stormlight; Stormlight comes from storms. I said that in the other thread where people were talking about Lift, and I got some disagreement, but as I mentioned there, nicrosil. Nicrosil stores pure Investiture. What I don't know is if she would just be a Radiant on other planets, if she would be able to hack their magic systems, or both.

My take on it is that she would be able to be a radiant on another planet.  However if she say went to Scadrial and ate some Lerasium,  she would be able to augment allomancy with the pure investiture she gets from food,  producing extremely powerful effects similar to when TLR soothed crowds etc.

It would make sense that she could transform food into some type of investiture on another planet. But would it have the same effect as on Roshar, or would it give get a new type of power based on the investiture of the planet she's on?

This is quite unlikely. So far as we know any kind of Kinetics Investiture may fuel any kind of "kinetic investiture"-needed-Powers (with just a different efficienty). A surgebinder body feed of Stormlight to gain supernatural ability. And a surgebinder (if he had a way to obtain it) may uses Mist, Breath, Preservation's power (through Allomancy), Feruchemical Charge and the Dor. Of course he had to know how tell "take power form there".

Can't we look at Hoid as a benchmark? During the events of WoK and WoR, he uses multiple different magics from multiple different worlds while on Roshar. If it were true that someone's investiture changed based on the world they were visiting or that world's native Shard, then wouldn't all of Hoid's magics have required Stormlight while on Roshar? Would he not have been glowing a bit when using his allomancy, feruchemy, and others?

It's possible that he lightwove his own appearance to hide his own glowing of Stormlight, but the simpler explanation is that he simply didn't necessarily require the Stormlight for his other-world magics.

If I'm right, I think they same would be true if Lift were a worldhopper.

Edited by pharaoh9000

Nobody suggested that though. The fuels for most systems are fundamentally ingrained in their very nature, you'd probably need a lot of hacking to substitute anything.

The question is whether Lift can make the other fuels from food, and whether she can power another system she might gain that way.

Nobody suggested that though. The fuels for most systems are fundamentally ingrained in their very nature, you'd probably need a lot of hacking to substitute anything.

The question is whether Lift can make the other fuels from food, and whether she can power another system she might gain that way.

Put simply, I'm saying I think Lift eating on another world would give her Stormlight on that world.

Random thought: if Lift was a subsumer she would be terrifying.

Anyway.

Just like an allomancer swallowing pewter on Roshar will still get the usual abilities of pewter Lift will get her usual abilities from food no matter where she is.

Lift is basically a foodomancer, she eats food and turns it into magic.

Thats my theory at least.

I'd say stormlight = pure investiture, lift transforming food into investiture she would be able to do anywhere. But the use of different magics requires somekind of spiritweb grafting to allow it. 

So if lift worldhopped and didn't bring her spren, she'd basically just invest herself, she might heal, but she'd probably just glow otherwise.

Actually, when I think about Vasher being able to substitute stormlight for breath because of the similarities of the two investitures... I have to rethink my original theory. Since breath and stormlight are so similar that Vasher can take either of the two to survive, then it's not unreasonable to think that Lift would gain breaths with every meal.

I wonder... Now I don't know what to think...

Question: Is Stormlight the "body" of a shard, like breath was part of Endowment?

I would say that it's not the body of the god; although, it is basically the same thing as Breath, in that it is Investiture. Atium being Ruin's body in Mistborn--that's different. 

Yes and no.  According to Sazed I believe.  The body of a god is the power of a god,  and atium (or any other god metal) is just condensed power of the god.  So in this Stormlight could be considered to be the body of a god.