Alloy Godmetal

killersquirrel59

Why do so many on this board insist on referring to the theoretical god metal of Harmony as Harmonium? This completely breaks the naming conventions already established for the other god metals. Atium comes from Ati, the name of the shardholder. Lerasium comes from Leras, the name of the shardholder. So why on Scadrial would the name of the new god metal suddenly change conventions to derive from the name of the shard (Harmonium) and not follow the existing convention and be called Sazedium?

Patterns. Hmmm!

Most of our canon terms come from the way the writer/s of the Ars Arcanum would refer to them, or from other in-cosemere uses. So if Sazed decides that his metal should be called something, that's the canonical way to refer to it.

These characters can be very unconventional inconsistent about how they name things!

Edit: I meant inconsistent, not unconventional.

Edited by Shardbearer

I could see Sazium. That sounds much better than Harmonium and keeps the pattern pure.

And it's not just the Ars Arcanum writers who established this pattern. Atium was not named by that writer. The name Atium came from somewhere (true Lerasium was not well known). It was likely known by Feruchemists before the Ascension, though according to Sazed has always been mostly discounted as fairly pointless in Feruchemy. 

I think Sazed did not want to name it after himself for two reasons:

1. Terris modesty.
  2. As I theorized before, a powerful metal that isn't part of the base 16 metals and that, like most things on Scadrial, contained both Ruin and Preservation... might have existed before Sazed. If so, it would not be proper to name it after himself. This substance might be how Southern Scadrians create Allomantic technology.

But Sazed is a modest guy and probably don't want his name associated for the future eras.

Now He is Harmony and maybe he don't want to be associated with the Terris keeper that make a lot of Mistake in his life.

Well, I don't think he is that modest. After all, just after ascending he started seeing himself as God. Not a god, but God. Plus, in SoS he tells Wax he can call him Lord, or Harmony. Not Sazed or anything.

Of course, it also means he sees himself as Harmony, not Sazed, so in a way Harmonium follows the pattern.

Well, I don't think he is that modest. After all, just after ascending he started seeing himself as God. Not a god, but God. Plus, in SoS he tells Wax he can call him Lord, or Harmony. Not Sazed or anything.

Of course, it also means he sees himself as Harmony, not Sazed, so in a way Harmonium follows the pattern.

Pretty sure Ruin called it's self Ruin not Ati.  It might just be a function of holding the shard.  Honestly after SoS I'm not convinced that here is much of Sazed left.

Doesn't really follow the pattern. Ruin called himself Ruin, telling Vin she could call him by that name, yet Atium was not called Ruinum. It was named after his original name, as should Sazedium (or Sazium if you prefer).

It's possible that the name Atium and Lerasium aren't choose by Ruin and Preservation but come instead by another source?
Because the Atium (for example) didn't exist prior to the Ruin's Prison. And therefore I suppose that Ruin didn't put an effort to name that metal after himself while He was trapped.

may be just bit of information that Rashek had obtained through his Ascension and He came the metals after the Shardholders.

Atium is the bit of Ruin that Preservation 'cut off' so they'd be equally powerful again.

Don't think Ruin would have stood for that if he weren't imprisoned at the time.

Again, how do we know this? Clearly it isn't the case that there is no god metal without an act like that, otherwise there would be no Lerasium beads. I always assumed that the production of Atium (and Lerasium for that matter) was a natural byproduct of the Shardpool buried at the Well and under the Pits.

Again, how do we know this? Clearly it isn't the case that there is no god metal without an act like that, otherwise there would be no Lerasium beads. I always assumed that the production of Atium (and Lerasium for that matter) was a natural byproduct of the Shardpool buried at the Well and under the Pits.

Well, Preservation may have created the lerasium willingly. The existence of mistborn was part of his Plan.

Ruin would have had very little use for atium prior to the existence of Mistborn as well. It's more worth it to use an atium spike on someone like that.

He wouldn't want people to burn it away, that's silly. He's trying to be the stronger shard of the pair here.

To begin with, we don't know how much time there was between when he created humans with Preservation and when the prison was made. Did he even have a reason to separate his power at all?

Edited by natc

. . . no it doesn't.

I can have no use for a trillion dollars. That doesn't mean I had a trillion dollars, it's just as much as a simple reason for me to not try to earn that much, as I have no need to posses such wealth and working hard for something useless is stupid.

Atium doesn't naturally exist as far as we know. If nobody had a reason to use it they wouldn't make it, much less Ruin himself who intended to use his power to overpower Preservation and wreck Scadrial from the beginning.

Edited by natc