Trace Metals and alloys

killersquirrel59

TFE notes that Vin was using Allomancy instinctively by burning trace metals in the water. Yet the metals she was burning were all alloys. She was noted as having instinctively used Pewter and Brass. This seems very unlikely, at least that any trace metals in the water would be allomantically sound in their percentage ratios, which need to be so perfectly exact. Pure metals make more sense. I could certainly see someone burning trace Tin, Iron, Zinc or Copper (not that anyone would realize they were instinctively using Copper), but the alloys seem strange to be gained in this manner.

Am I missing something or does anyone have a better explanation that would make this make sense?

Pewter was from the Pewter Mugs that Vin drank out of when she was working for Camon. As for Brass, that's just Copper and Zinc. Having those trace elements that small, they can easily bind to each other, just enough would get through to allow Vin to use emotional allomancy. Additionally, Zinc, Copper, and other metallic minerals are more likely to be dissolved into water due to Scadrial having a much larger concentration of metal in it than the other worlds in the Cosmere, making it more likely that you'd find these metals in the dirt that mixes into the water.

Just my view of it, mind you.

Ok, the pewter mugs makes some sense. I can buy that. Brass seems far less likely though. I have no doubt there is copper and zinc in the water. However, the odds of it forming, not only bronze as an alloy, but in the perfect ratio to be allomantically sound is beyond astronomical. Furthermore, why didn't she (and other instinctive allomancers for that matter) get really sick or even die from burning unsound alloys or impure base metals from trace minerals?

I could potentially buy the idea that the Steel Ministry purposely seeded the water with allomantically sound base metals and alloys to draw out Skaa mistings. However, I still ask my follow up question of why no one got really sick or died from burning unsound alloys instinctively.

The Pewter mugs could work, though it's worth mentioning that Vin actually rejects Pewter dishware in Book 2 because it wouldn't be pure enough. She was worried about maximum Power though, and a survival focused child-Vin probably wouldn't know or care about the difference.

“I don’t have much time,” Vin said. “Pewter.”

“The lord had some fine diningware in his home,” the man said slowly. “But we traded most of that for clothing and farming equipment. I think there are a couple of goblets left. Master Cled—our elder—has them in the other hovel...

"That might work" Vin said. Though the metal probably won’t be mixed with Allomantic percentages in mind. It would probably have too much silver or not enough tin, making the pewter work more weakly than it would otherwise.

I like the idea of the Canton adding Allomantic metals into the water supply as a way of finding Mistings.

As a poor street urchin, burning impure metals would probably be just a drop in the bucket contributing to her poor health. Assuming they contributed at all... We don't know how inexact the alloy needs to be before it makes you sick. If it's a little off it's just less effective.

Also I think the brass came from cups or utensils, just like the pewter. Copper and zinc dissolved in a solution forming viable brass just seems too farfetched.

• Chaos locked this topic