Amusingly enough, Skaa and I had just had a brief discussion about this in his status.

Where I gave the wrong date for the start of Ookla week. Twice. Sorry about that.

Edited by skaa

So I noticed that a lot of older members have at some point, changed their names to Ookla the (adjective). 

I am a sort of newer member of the Shard, despite having over 1200 posts, but could I have a explanation? 

Just curious. 

The illustrious Peter Ahlstrom's birthday is on November 26th, and his username on the old Timewasters Guide was Ookla the Mok. Whether Peter picked the name due to the Filk band Ookla the Mok, or if he took it from the character on the old 80's cartoon Thundaar (which is where the band took their name) I do not know, but either way, for the week of November 26th, many members on here will change their names to Ookla the ____. It's actually kind of cool when they manage to involve their usual username in some form as well. Oh, and often that "week" turns into 2 or 3, extending until Koloss Headmunching Day (Brandon's birthday on Dec 19).

So I hope you know your profile images. And hope that people don't change those around that time.  ;)

Edit: Actually bothered to follow the link in Kirk's post, realized I didn't need to type any of that up *facepalm*

Edited by Blaze1616

So I noticed that a lot of older members have at some point, changed their names to Ookla the (adjective).

I am a sort of newer member of the Shard, despite having over 1200 posts, but could I have a explanation?

Just curious.

How did you work that out by the way? You just happened to be looking at everyone's past usernames?

How did you work that out by the way? You just happened to be looking at everyone's past usernames?

I don't know if that's possible or not, but when a user changes their username, none of the boxes in which they've been quoted change. So, for example, if you were to change your name to Cuddlebug, and someone came and looked at this thread, they'd see the post above mine, by Cuddlebug, but then the same text, word for word, quoted in my post from a user named Delightful. If you're reading old threads, it's not too difficult to work out old usernames, particularly if they haven't changed their profile picture.

Edited by Blaze1616

Also, when a person edits his post, the username in the "Edited by <username>..." line that is automatically appended to the post will not change even after he changes his username, unless he edits it again. So you'll see a bunch of old posts with "Edited by Ookla the <something>" if you look around.

Edited by skaa

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if that's possible or not, but when a user changes their username, none of the boxes in which they've been quoted change. So, for example, if you were to change your name to Cuddlebug, and someone came and looked at this thread, they'd see the post above mine, by Cuddlebug, but then the same text, word for word, quoted in my post from a user named Delightful. If you're reading old threads, it's not too difficult to work out old usernames, particularly if they haven't changed their profile picture.

Or...You could just look at someone's profile, and click on the button that says "Display Name History".

It's right below the big green (hopefully) box.

It could be a big red box, but...