Scadrial Investiture Addiction

baby

Some kinds of feruchemy when compounded seem really easy to get addicted to, when compounding of course. Stuff like cadmium (which I think when burning a metal mind, you feel more alive, or more oxgenated, but like extreme amounts of it), bronze, Gold, Tin if you're a masochist like Spook, brass, chromium (?), and bend alloy. Then you have the stuff that'd be weird to compound regularly like weight. Would there be other types of investiture that are addicting?

Steel and Pewter would be really really simple to overindulge and become accustomed to.  Especially Pewter since you can store the pewter-burned strength in a pewtermind, for an extra multiplier on top of the already obscene levels of power you can get with normal compounding.  Zinc compounding would have some serious withdrawal effects as well.  I think you already got the most obviously dangerous ones.  

Stormlight spoilers:

In stormlight archive I think it's safe to say that Kaladin definitely gets a little hooked on using stormlight.  Both in the sense that, when he doesn't have access to it for a long time he mentions a few times just how used to having it he has gotten...and also when he goes a little overboard with the stormlight usage and pushes himself to far, it has immediate detrimental physical effects.

EDIT: I'm sorry...I just remembered that this thread has Scadrial in the title and is in Mistborn...my bad...

I mean...compounding anything to the point where you become dependent on it could be potentially dangerous...electrum could be bad...constantly being super determined then turning into Eor when you stop compounding would be nasty...or could it be fatal.  Miles compounds health to the point where stopping could be fatal...if you had been compounding determination for a long time and then quit, could you lose the will to live?  

I always thought that Iron was the best Feruchemal power because it is potentially beneficial either way...it's difficult to consider someone who would want to constantly go around weight several tons...but what would the result of stopping be at that point?...would you just float away unless you put weights in you shoes?...dunno...

Edited by Moogle

Do we know that you have any repercussions from stopping compounding? I mean you might crave it but there's nothing actually changing after you stop tapping (as far as we know).

Something might change. I imagine it as the natural part of whatever attribute you are compounding sort of atrophying over time. If you tap gold over an extended period and you finally stop compounding it, your immune system might be down the drain. Same thing for strength: if you're using bulked-up pewter-muscles all the time, the part of your muscles that's naturally there gets less benefit from exercise. Weight is tricky, but I imagine the same logic can be applied to most other attributes.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see weight doing that. You see, when they say 'weight', it actually means 'mass', since Wax speeds up when he stores weight. Your mass can't atrophy.

In short, Iron is probably the least dangerous thing to compound, but also the least useful, as you're going to get more benifits from storing it than tapping it.

EDIT: What if iron compounders play a role in FTL? You have a guy weighing several megagrams, and once the ship gets going fast, he starts storing, so that he weighs practically nothing. In fact, ones mass may have an effect on the relative speed of light (mass effect FTL would work, if it wasn't impossible).

Edited by Thermophile

• Chaos locked this topic