Magical symbols

Divine0Flame

Eagle, those are actually all the same symbols as TFE and WoA. The only difference between the three sets is the time period they are from. TFE's are from that time, WoA's, I'm not sure, HoA's are from the time of the Ascension, iirc. So they're not the different versions of the symbols based on a power, just a time difference.

HoA's are from the time of the Ascension, iirc. So they're not the different versions of the symbols based on a power, just a time difference.

TLR's Ascension? Did not know that. Is there a source on this somewhere?

I do know that the Allomantic symbols evolved from the Feruchemic symbols, so following that logic, if the symbols from HoA are in fact Allomantic, it's quite possible there aren't any Hemalurgic symbols. (which would make me sad TBH).

On the bright side, it would allow attempting to work out exactly how the Terris metal symbols morphed into the Steel Alphabet.

TLR's Ascension? Did not know that. Is there a source on this somewhere?

I do know that the Allomantic symbols evolved from the Feruchemic symbols, so following that logic, if the symbols from HoA are in fact Allomantic, it's quite possible there aren't any Hemalurgic symbols. (which would make me sad TBH).

On the bright side, it would allow attempting to work out exactly how the Terris metal symbols morphed into the Steel Alphabet.

Incorrect the Terris alphabet (i.e. the Feruchemical symbols) and the Steel Alphabet are both descended from the ancient Terris symbols found in HoA.

Okay, so I finally did the obvious thing and looked up "Steel Alphabet" on the coppermind.net, and I deplore my previous state of ignorance.

Now I'm just left wondering when the Allomantic and Feruchemic symbols started diverging, I doubt it was during the Final Empire period (not the book), since TLR tried to squash all knowledge about Feruchemy, so having a set of symbols split off during that time wouldn't make sense, and they are very different from the Steel alphabet to have evolved in the 300 years after the Final Ascension. (considering how little the Steel alphabet appears to have changed during that period)

I'd just like to make a final comment that the ancient Terris symbols look very suited to Hemalurgy IMO, since they seem like they were written in blood (possibly using one's thumb, or someone else's thumb).

• Chaos locked this topic