[Theory] Highstorms contain a gateway to the Cognitive realm

Rockbud

After going back over WoR interlude V a thought struck me:

Eshonai is waiting for the time when she can bond the spren. The storm seems to go away, the storm father becomes visible, and all the parshendi songs rythems meld into one.

Firstly, moving closer to the Cognitive realm would potentially make interactions with spren easier. There are no typical shadesmar glass beads, but maybe someone would like to theorise around that.

Spren are viewed differently in the other realms, and although not many people in the physical realm stand out in highstorms, the storm father in spren form isn't talked about much. Also, during the storm at the end of the book (physical realm only) no storm father spren descriptions are mentioned.

Lastly, I've seen some theories on here regarding the Parshendi songs, and their songs being a way to access investiture, similar to Aons. If Eshonai moves into another realm in this interlude it might explain why the individual rythems meld closer to the source of their power, ie a particular ryhem to access them is no longer nessisary.

Bonus: the storm father's eyes are described as being full of stars. With all the Trell talk going on at the moment, someone might find this interesting.

Thoughts?

There is an WoB that Kaladin summoned frost glyphs after his third oath because the realms were being compressed, and much earlier he was able to look into shadesmar before performing his first basic lashing, so I suspect all investiture bridges the realms in some level.

The Highstorm, wich distributes all stormlight in Roshar(or concentrates all stormlight passively lost to the ambient) and houses the greatest spren we have seem, would take this even further. This would also explain how shardpools allow worldhopping.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I'll echo CognitivePulsePattern. The highstorm probably just compresses the Realms; when Kaladin has his highstorm vision, he sees everything in all-black and no black spheres, which is not an effect we've seen from Shallan - the implication being, he was probably seeing into the Spiritual, not (just?) the Cognitive.

This doesn't so much allow travel between the Realms (though maybe it does) as it does allow for certain interactions, like listener sprenbonding, to happen more easily.

Compression works well as a concept rather than a gateway. It does explain why the shadesmar description doesn't come up in these cases. It also might be a strong basis for the transfer of Stormlight investiture entering the physical realm.

Is the opinion that the compression is caused by the storms, or the storms are caused by the compression?

Compression works well as a concept rather than a gateway. It does explain why the shadesmar description doesn't come up in these cases. It also might be a strong basis for the transfer of Stormlight investiture entering the physical realm.

Is the opinion that the compression is caused by the storms, or the storms are caused by the compression?

That is a good question, one we can't answer now. However, I believe both are actualy caused by a great concentration of investiture. Brandon described the storm as something partialy natural(comparing Roshar to Jupiter if I remember well? My theory-fu is pretty horrible.), but highly invested. That investiture could cause the compression and also feed the storm.

There's definitely something interesting going on with the invested storms. I wonder if it's simply that the level of compatible investiture makes it easy for Spren of Honour or Cultivation to cross back and forth from the cognitive realm, (and hence the fact why we get friendly Spren in Highstorms, but unfriendly Spren in everstorms) but compressing the realms is certainly a viable explanation too, if that compression centres on a different place in Shadesmar for Everstorms than it does for Highstorms. (Presumably in theory the Stormfather could try to touch Everstorms from the Spritual realm if they are a compression of all three Realms, given the fact that location works oddly/is largely irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm, but then would just hurt himself if he tried to oppose Odium's investiture in it, and similarly for Rayse trying to touch Highstorms through the Spritual)

Maybe the Highstorms are what's left of Honor's Shardpool.

I don't have enough to go on yet, but I've been thinking Honor's shard pool is under/near to Urithiru. There's one reference in WoK that talks about the location of the city being "close to Honor".

That is a good question, one we can't answer now. However, I believe both are actualy caused by a great concentration of investiture. Brandon described the storm as something partialy natural(comparing Roshar to Jupiter if I remember well? My theory-fu is pretty horrible.), but highly invested. That investiture could cause the compression and also feed the storm.

I think this is true. I'm re-reading WoR and Zahel, who I think is the closest thing we have to an expert on investiture, has this thought about a high storm: "One of those storms had come. Invested to the hilt and looking for a place to stick it all. Cursed things." That much raw power could be causing the compression of realms. Or perhaps causing them to align. 

I think this is true. I'm re-reading WoR and Zahel, who I think is the closest thing we have to an expert on investiture, has this thought about a high storm: "One of those storms had come. Invested to the hilt and looking for a place to stick it all. Cursed things." That much raw power could be causing the compression of realms. Or perhaps causing them to align. 

It would make sense, as the Stormfather is a cognitive shadow as well as a Sliver-splinter (IIRC he did take up Honor for some duration did he not, or am i misremembering? I seem to recall a recent WoB about his status as Sliver being revoked but i'm not sure. Can anyone clear this up?)

Perhaps the Parshendi require a highstorm to change forms because it is an investiture-using magic system, and they require Stormlight to change. It is mentioned that the Voidbringers changed even as they fought them, possibly because they could use the Stormlight in gemstones to facilitate the changes. Though highstorms may make a bridge to the Cognitive Realm, that is only one explanation for the Parshendi's need to wait.

• Chaos locked this topic