White Sand Graphic Novels

Charononus

Not really, at least not to my knowledge. Some of us here obsessively follow Brandon on all sorts of social media, and I personally check Dynamite Entertainment every few weeks, so there is a good chance there will be a thread here within a couple of days of news coming out.

• 3 weeks later...

The last time I asked Peter about it, he said we may hear something about it by the end of the year, so that kind of tracks with it possibly being released in the spring. The funny thing is that I was reading the last State of Sanderson and he said it would be a big thing for this year, but didn't hear a whole lot about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I guess not everyone can compound steel like Brandon when it comes to publishing.

Pretty sure you mean compound Zinc. Writing is generally more about how fast you can think than about how fast you can type.

A quick update from the Worldbuilders AMA (Day 4):

For those who don't know, White Sand is the book I wrote right after Elantris. I wasn't satisfied with it, and never sold it. Dynamite Comics asked if maybe we could do a graphic novel, and I felt that in creating a graphic novel script, we could fix the problems I had with the story. So I said yes.

Working on the graphic novel with Dynamite has been one of the best experiences I've had with a licensed product. They have been quick to listen, have given us a great deal of leeway with asking for revisions of both art and text, and have hired people we really like to work on the project. The end result is a comic I'm very proud of, and happy to have as the cannon version of White Sand. (Which is relevant to the cosmere.)

The plan is to do three graphic novels, of six "Issues" each. We've basically finished the first six issues, and plan for a summer release next year. We should be showing off some of the pages on my blog this month. (I hope.)

So three graphic novels, six issues each. First one planned for Summer 2016.

I was really hoping they would avoid the single issue format, the monthly wait will be brutal. I really want to know who the artist is for this as well.

That's why he put quotes around "issues". I think the plan is to publish them in graphic novel form only. The "issues"would be chapters of around thirty pages. So each volume would be around 180 pages.

So I don't think that this question counts as discussing White Sand, as he has asked us not to do, but I emailed Brandon to ask for a copy of the book. How long did it take you to get a reply?

Mine was a really long time. Between 6 to 8 months. I didnt mind. Just finished Mistborn, found out he would send them to you if you asked, so I did. Figured it would never happen. It was a very welcome surprise when they showed up in my inbox. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Got some news from Twitter!

Me: Will we see any promo art for White Sand soon? Really anxious to find out character design and such...

Brandon: We have permission to post some for my State of the Sanderson blog post, coming late this week or early next week.

Also, someone (not me) did a followup question: "any chance your State of the Sanderson will contain some info on your other media items(movies, ect)"

Brando: "I am planning to include some discussion of this."

So maybe we'll hear something about the Cosmere rights that have reportedly been sold as a whole. I'd also be happy for any updates on the Steelheart and Mistborn movies.

Creative team and sample pages released: http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/

Honestly, it looks great. I like the style they've chosen. 

PS: every time Brandon mentions a book, the release date moves further away.

Could be worse.  He could be working on a single series as opposed to... 3? 4? Plus various and sundry sequels, novellas, and continuations?  

• 2 weeks later...

Creative team and sample pages released: http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/

Honestly, it looks great. I like the style they've chosen. 

PS: every time Brandon mentions a book, the release date moves further away.

Elantris 2 has moved forward in the order- did its release date manage to move further away as well?

I think he's just managing expectations tbh.

• Chaos locked this topic