Taravangian

Moogle

I thought of this too. I think he calculated that even on a bad day he could manage to say "Don't kill me" and hold a stone in the air.

On a good day he might be able to utter a slightly more elaborate "if it pleases you, doth refrain from skewering me with your sword and end my pitiful existence", but as you say, a simple "Don't kill me!" would do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very curious about Taravangian and I am about to read his Interlude. I really am excited for Words of Radiance and am about to read the other chapters that I haven't read yet. I also have a theory sort of. I read the Lift Interlude a few days back and I noticed the part where it mentioned Szeth killing emperors of that nation frequently. However, it was also mentioned that he had been slaughtering Highprinces of Alethkar. All of the Highprinces are on the Shattered Plains in the War of Reckoning so that Interlude could possibly have taken place after Part 4. As I noticed in The Way of Kings there were no Part 5 Interludes, only a final set of Interludes after Part Four. In Part Four of the first book, that is where everything reached a climactic point. Part 5 meanwhile was the aftermath or epilogue to Part Four while also establishing plot-lines for Words of Radiance. The Lift Interlude does not state which set of Interludes it is in as a few of the others said at the top which part they were in. That leaves a possibility of Lift's Interlude taking place after Part 4 of Words of Radiance, remember Part 4 is the climax of the book and I strongly believe that Szeth vs Kaladin will happen then with aftermath in the final part as they did in book 1. So if Lift's Interlude is in the final set of Interludes then this could be taking place right after Szeth arrived at the plains, this would make sense as to why it was mentioned that The Assassin in White was slaughtering Highprinces of Alethkar. The Interlude says nothing about Dalinar Kholin as it says nothing about names of the dead Highprinces. Could this possibly be a hint of what happened in Szeth's attack on the Shattered Plains? Szeth could have massacred many Highprinces while that is probably part of his set of orders. That very Interlude could have possibly spoken of Dalinar's death to Szeth in the Shattered Plains. I am really unsure of how it will play out, I feel that Dalinar could die for sure, I am putting his chances of survival at 40% to a 60% death chance but his storyline has many more things to happen yet. Dalinar makes me think a bit of Ned Stark from A Song Of Ice and Fire, he is really honourable and a really good guy but that may make him a sitting duck for his enemies. Plus Ned seemed like he wasn't going to die and had so much more story then he was killed and his story ended far before it should have, the same could definitely happen to Kholin. Brandon I believe said that main characters would die in this series so just because a character was supposed to have a point of view novel didn't mean they would live that long. He could be referring to Dalinar who is supposed to be the focal character of book 5 and saying that he may not live that long. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part and Lift's Interlude mentioning murdered Highprinces is far from proof of Dalinar's death but it could possibly be a small hint that could be part of the aftermath as it would politically be felt worldwide. Does anyone know more about this or have anything to go with or against my theory here? I do believe that Lift's Interlude is part of the final set due to the mentioning of slaughtered Highprinces, but why would Brandon release it? He may have chosen that one to be released as a small hint, or he could have just wanted to give a good preview. Either way I am very hyped for book 2 which already to me feels like a bit of an endgame with all of the ominous things happening at the moment. One last thing, does anyone wonder if Sadeas is affiliated with Taravangian and if that is how the king of Kharbranth knew immediately about Dalinar becoming the Highprince of War? Maybe Sadeas tried to eliminate him for that reason and by Taravangian saying he hoped he wouldn't have to have Dalinar killed, maybe he meant he hoped he wouldn't have to have Szeth massacre many innocents for his own sake because he feels deep regret at his actions and I doubt he wants to use Szeth and torture the man more unless he thinks he needs to. Please let me know what you think of those two theories I have, March 4, 2014 can't come soon enough.

Edited by Moash

I am very curious about Taravangian and I am about to read his Interlude. I really am excited for Words of Radiance and am about to read the other chapters that I haven't read yet. I also have a theory sort of. I read the Lift Interlude a few days back and I noticed the part where it mentioned Szeth killing emperors of that nation frequently. However, it was also mentioned that he had been slaughtering Highprinces of Alethkar. All of the Highprinces are on the Shattered Plains in the War of Reckoning so that Interlude could possibly have taken place after Part 4. As I noticed in The Way of Kings there were no Part 5 Interludes, only a final set of Interludes after Part Four. In Part Four of the first book, that is where everything reached a climactic point. Part 5 meanwhile was the aftermath or epilogue to Part Four while also establishing plot-lines for Words of Radiance. The Lift Interlude does not state which set of Interludes it is in as a few of the others said at the top which part they were in. That leaves a possibility of Lift's Interlude taking place after Part 4 of Words of Radiance, remember Part 4 is the climax of the book and I strongly believe that Szeth vs Kaladin will happen then with aftermath in the final part as they did in book 1. So if Lift's Interlude is in the final set of Interludes then this could be taking place right after Szeth arrived at the plains, this would make sense as to why it was mentioned that The Assassin in White was slaughtering Highprinces of Alethkar. The Interlude says nothing about Dalinar Kholin as it says nothing about names of the dead Highprinces. Could this possibly be a hint of what happened in Szeth's attack on the Shattered Plains? Szeth could have massacred many Highprinces while that is probably part of his set of orders. That very Interlude could have possibly spoken of Dalinar's death to Szeth in the Shattered Plains. I am really unsure of how it will play out, I feel that Dalinar could die for sure, I am putting his chances of survival at 40% to a 60% death chance but his storyline has many more things to happen yet. Dalinar makes me think a bit of Ned Stark from A Song Of Ice and Fire, he is really honourable and a really good guy but that may make him a sitting duck for his enemies. Plus Ned seemed like he wasn't going to die and had so much more story then he was killed and his story ended far before it should have, the same could definitely happen to Kholin. Brandon I believe said that main characters would die in this series so just because a character was supposed to have a point of view novel didn't mean they would live that long. He could be referring to Dalinar who is supposed to be the focal character of book 5 and saying that he may not live that long. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part and Lift's Interlude mentioning murdered Highprinces is far from proof of Dalinar's death but it could possibly be a small hint that could be part of the aftermath as it would politically be felt worldwide. Does anyone know more about this or have anything to go with or against my theory here? I do believe that Lift's Interlude is part of the final set due to the mentioning of slaughtered Highprinces, but why would Brandon release it? He may have chosen that one to be released as a small hint, or he could have just wanted to give a good preview. Either way I am very hyped for book 2 which already to me feels like a bit of an endgame with all of the ominous things happening at the moment. One last thing, does anyone wonder if Sadeas is affiliated with Taravangian and if that is how the king of Kharbranth knew immediately about Dalinar becoming the Highprince of War? Maybe Sadeas tried to eliminate him for that reason and by Taravangian saying he hoped he wouldn't have to have Dalinar killed, maybe he meant he hoped he wouldn't have to have Szeth massacre many innocents for his own sake because he feels deep regret at his actions and I doubt he wants to use Szeth and torture the man more unless he thinks he needs to. Please let me know what you think of those two theories I have, March 4, 2014 can't come soon enough.

And dude, divide your text up! That block of text looks rather threatening, and it is difficult to get through.

Edited by Aether

Moash, on 22 Dec 2013 - 6:32 PM, said:

300 Spartans stopped a million men.

This wall of text could stop the Final Desolation.

Oh BTW OP: Starts slow clap. I so believe you are the first neophyte in my 11th order of the KR. I hadn't posted it, as it seemed everyone was more interested in Kaladin And Amaran, but Mr. T (LOL) has been a subject of much of my time recently. +1 sir!

It's an interesting theory, that Mr. T is also seeing visions to unite them, and it is certainly clear that although he does and commissions the doing of very villainous things, there's much more ambiguity to his character than mustache-stroking bad guy.

But if it turns out to be true, and Mr. T wants Dalinar assassinated because he fears Dalinar is going to "unite them" when Mr. T was supposed to be the one "uniting them" instead and on a grander scale, I admit I would be disappointed.  It seems counterproductive for an Almighty to send out multiple visions to "unite them" to different people, only to have those people spend their energy smiting each other so that they can be the One who does the Uniting.  Plus, I just can't get past the general bloodshed and chaos Szeth is ordered to create.  As others mentioned, it's not just that he kills leaders everywhere, it is that he is required do it with such collateral damage.  How do you really unite the whole world by sewing such chaos? 

So I'm still holding out for more information on Mr. T's motives and plans. I also suspect that it is Dalinar's ascent to Highprince of War that makes Mr. T target him.  Dalinar in that new position risks the Vengeance Pact against the Parshendi actually becoming successful.  And I wonder if, for reasons we do not yet know, Mr. T's plans are thwarted if that war actually starts going well.

It's interesting how people react to chaos.

The movie The Mist makes very interesting points. (I'm paraphrasing):

"You take away everything they know keeps them safe. No police. No paramedics. No electricity.

You put them in the dark together, and you scare the This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules out of them.

Suddenly the rules don't mean anything anymore and they'll do anything to make it stop."

The bold is important to my point, as seen in Steelheart, an island of stability of any sort, in a world that seems to be falling apart would attract anyone who has been displaced. More importantly, Mr. T is in prime position to offer the world a solution  to make it stop.

As for the idea about Tanavast not sending multiple visions, there is a lot of speculation that is exactly what he is doing/did.

The Hierocracy being an excellent example.

I bet T has scripts for everything he has to say/do in his plans in case they happen on a bad day. Which would be interesting in the extreme to steal and read. His limitation also highly encourages getting other people to enact the most critical stages of his plans - though it would be kind of funny to have Szeth or someone tracking him down and trying to give an epic rebuttal of all the values he holds in favour of Love and Friendship (or at least Peace and Cooperation)... to which he replies "Welll, your stoopid!". Bad spelling included.

Sorry for the late reply.  

Quick note on chronology - I know I've seen or heard WoB that he generally writes chronologically unless otherwise noted (ie. flashbacks). 

The confrontation/meeting between Szeth and Mr. T occurs outside an interlude, it's in chapter 71: Recorded in Blood.  We can assume that it's happening between or concurrently with chapters 70 (Sea of Glass) and 72 (Veristitalian), both focusing on Shallan and Jasnah.  

The boat which Jasnah has chartered will be coming tomorrow.  Will Szeth ride with Jasnah and Shallan to the Shattered Plains?

• 3 weeks later...

So, to revive a sleeping thread a little bit...

Mr. T. doesn't even need the world united.  He just needs every nation (including the peaceful Shin) pointed at the same goal.  Obliterate the Parshendi.  

Why else would he have Szeth still wearing the white he wore when he assassinated Gavilar?  So that everyone will THINK that it is the Parshendi ordering the assassinations.  And then each nation, independently, and of it's own free will... eventually decides that the only way to stop the chaos is to join with the Alethi in their attempts to exerminate the threat.

Because there are a lot more subtle ways to take over a nation if you're full of extra brains - and that can be done without rousing chaos.

So, my money is on Mr. T having discovered what Jasnah has - that the Parshendi are the voidbringers - and then working to stop them in a way that doesn't require everyone on the planet to agree to the terms.

As far as we know, Taravangian had nothing to do with Gavilar's assassination. Szeth's Oathstone was in the Parshendi's possession at the time - not Taravangian's - and they publicly admitted to having sent him after Gavilar.

Parshendi sending Szeth is a tough sell. Even when they assassinated Galivar, had they not claimed fault, most people would've assumed that the parshendi were used to just get the assassin into court, and the real mastermind was somewhere else. This time around the parshendi aren't claiming the blame, and the fact is that it's been six years since szeth last showed up. Had the Parshendi have still had szeth in their employ, why wasn't he used more often against the Alethi who were at the front gates of the Parshendi? there are just a lack of evidence that would force the Rulers of Roshar to assume it was the Parshendi.

That and I'm pretty sure that Taravangian, had been planning to kill off many of the rulers well before he may heard of Jasnah's research. Szeth just happened to be the best tool that could accomplish his goal.

So, to revive a sleeping thread a little bit...

Mr. T. doesn't even need the world united.  He just needs every nation (including the peaceful Shin) pointed at the same goal.  Obliterate the Parshendi.  

So, my money is on Mr. T having discovered what Jasnah has - that the Parshendi are the voidbringers - and then working to stop them in a way that doesn't require everyone on the planet to agree to the terms.

I agree there are other ways this could have been done, T is creating chaos, in order to be the last one standing. 

I do not think he has put together the Parshman/Parshendi link to voidbringers ... if he did then why is Karbranth and the Palanaeum still full of Parshman?

I do not think he has put together the Parshman/Parshendi link to voidbringers ... if he did then why is Karbranth and the Palanaeum still full of Parshman?

Perhaps he understands it even better than Jasnah and knows how precisely the parshmen change (like, say, they require a highstorm and a certain emotion). I think you could use parshmen safely with the correct knowledge. The problem is that we don't know how it works, exactly.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic