How many more Nalthis books will we get?

Moash

When I read Warbreaker, I really enjoyed the book and its characters, since then I have been eagerly awaiting the sequel, Nightblood. I have been hearing that after Brandon writes Nightblood, he won't be doing much else with the world of Nalthis. I find that a lot of this world feels unexplored, and there is plenty of cool stuff that can be done. I am really hoping we will at least end up with one trilogy on this shardworld, or maybe more. Does anyone know for a fact, if Nightblood is the last Nalthis book, and that there will never be many books on this shardworld? I really hope its not the case though.

The space Mistborn characters could end up on Nalthis for all we know. And it is very possible that there will be short stories set on Nalthis.

Brandon mentioned at one of the signings of SoS that he is working on a secret short story for next year. I am pulling for a Nalthis shortstory.

That's a shame to hear, I feel like Nalthis is very unexplored, with a lot of things that can be done. It seems like a trilogy would be a good amount for it. I can't see things just wrapped up for good in the sequel (Presuming that nightblood is like 500 pages long). There's not a ton more to do with the magic, but it seems like there are other countries, lands, and more lore to be uncovered. I would like to see a larger storyline built up and concluded, to set vasher on his path to worldhopping. 

Well, even if we get a Nalthis novella or short story, I doubt we will find out what happened until we get "Nightblood".

SA

Yeah the end of WoR had me yelling at my Nook though,  "What? how did Nightblood get away from Vasher?!"  It kind of shocked me as I didn't see Nightblood getting away from Vasher permanently.  Unless that's the reason he's on Roshar.... hmm....

SA

Yeah the end of WoR had me yelling at my Nook though,  "What? how did Nightblood get away from Vasher?!"  It kind of shocked me as I didn't see Nightblood getting away from Vasher permanently.  Unless that's the reason he's on Roshar.... hmm....

There are a few WoBs about this:

Basically, the primary reason Vasher world-hopped is because it is much easier to get Stormlight to sustain his divine breath but Nightblood is also a small part of it.

Rhandric
Is Vasher trying to find Nightblood?
Brandon Sanderson

Vasher misses Nightblood and feels responsible for him.

BlackYeti
Did he [Vasher] actually come from Nalthis and not Roshar?
Brandon Sanderson
I’m not going to actually answer that one. Well I can answer that: yes he does come from Nalthis. It’s pretty obvious that the way that the Breath’s working, the reason he moved is because it’s easier to get Stormlight than Breaths, and Stormlight can fuel being a Returned like him. And so yes, he was born on Nalthis. Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis would be really hard.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Personally, I'm glad we're only getting one more Nalthis book. Warbreaker was interesting enough, but it's not my favorite Cosmere book. All I care about is a little bit about the adventures Vivenna and Vasher, a lot more about Nightblood and the Scholars' history, and how it is that Vasher started worldhopping. At this point, the Cosmeric momentum is steadily building, with the books getting more and more in-depth about its workings. One more Nalthis book could continue the trend, but I don't see a whole lot of potential for an extended series there to serve the overall Cosmere narrative. 

Personally, I'm glad we're only getting one more Nalthis book. Warbreaker was interesting enough, but it's not my favorite Cosmere book. All I care about is a little bit about the adventures Vivenna and Vasher, a lot more about Nightblood and the Scholars' history, and how it is that Vasher started worldhopping. At this point, the Cosmeric momentum is steadily building, with the books getting more and more in-depth about its workings. One more Nalthis book could continue the trend, but I don't see a whole lot of potential for an extended series there to serve the overall Cosmere narrative. 

Yeah, agreed. There's room for a sequel in exploring what the remaining Scholar is doing and the unresolved character stuff from Warbreaker, but that's about it. Given they have a single Shard that's so benevolent I can't see too many shenanigans happening with other shards, either.

Thing is, the Nalthis magic system is one of the most Realmatically revealing systems, second behind where Roshar is headed, and Roshar only really tops it because we can actually converse with spren, unlike Breaths. Nalthis books could reveal many new wonders regarding the other two realms.

That said, as you say, the current story, as it stands, calls for little Nalthis representation.

I think Mistborn is actually going to end up being more revealing. I didn't think so, initially, believing that Stormlight would be the big Cosmere-revealing series. I'm sure it will have a lot in store for us, but in Mistborn they can actually talk to a Shardholder, not just Splinters.

But to get back to Nalthis, I can't really put my finger on why, but I find the world the least compelling of all the Cosmere settings. Almost all of the Cosmere magic systems excite me with their awesomeness, but Awakening just doesn't do it for me. Vasher's explanations of how the magic works were more interesting to me than the magic itself. Honestly, I'd be just as happy to have the information we're missing from Nalthis filled in via Ars Arcanum and little tidbits in other books.

But, of course, I'm still going to be ridiculously excited when Nightblood is released.

• Chaos locked this topic