Death is my life.

DreamEternal

I like this interpretation a lot.

Overall, the themes of a tension between life and death (when is it okay to kill? When you kill to protect), strength and weakness (only the broken can find true strength and power), and journey and destination (the best way to reach your destination is to focus on the journey) are built into these books on all levels. I'm not certain if this death rattle was meant to specifically address Szeth or not, but I think this interpretation is worthwhile one way or the other.

Spoiler

Also When Szeth is killed he is freed and can now live a new life. I dont know the exact quote but Darkness says something like "I waited until you were dead to revive you. Had I waited seconds longer it could have been too late. Now all ties, physical and spiritual are broken." So Szeth is freed from his sins and does not need to let them weigh him down. Death is my life. He can now live thatnks to him dying. Sorry, I am having real trouble wording this.

Spoiler

Also When Szeth is killed he is freed and can now live a new life. I dont know the exact quote but Darkness says something like "I waited until you were dead to revive you. Had I waited seconds longer it could have been too late. Now all ties, physical and spiritual are broken." So Szeth is freed from his sins and does not need to let them weigh him down. Death is my life. He can now live thatnks to him dying. Sorry, I am having real trouble wording this.

I wouldn't say he will ever be able to banish the guilty and psychological damage he caused to himself, or that he should. But I do think his "rebirth" could allow him to live with the guilt without being crushed by it. Or it could allow him to make the same mistakes :(.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

• 3 weeks later...

i think its just the opposite of the imortal words

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination

I think you're right, but that isn't the whole story. I think "death is my life" makes this pretty clearly about Szeth because of how entangled Szeth's life has been with the deaths of others. It also says to me that Szeth will become Odium's champion through how much death he has caused and how much hatred he has felt, both for himself and his enemies. I'm of the opinion that Szeth won't become a Skybreaker because of his ties to Odium, and that Nalan will have somehow solidified him as Odium's champion rather than help cleanse him. The spiritual and physical ties of Szeth to life have been broken, and that brings him closer to what I would think of as an Unmade than anything, something that will put Voidbinding to use rather than Surgebinding (which I'm of the opinion will use death as a central point of power). 

I think you're right, but that isn't the whole story. I think "death is my life" makes this pretty clearly about Szeth because of how entangled Szeth's life has been with the deaths of others. It also says to me that Szeth will become Odium's champion through how much death he has caused and how much hatred he has felt, both for himself and his enemies. I'm of the opinion that Szeth won't become a Skybreaker because of his ties to Odium, and that Nalan will have somehow solidified him as Odium's champion rather than help cleanse him. The spiritual and physical ties of Szeth to life have been broken, and that brings him closer to what I would think of as an Unmade than anything, something that will put Voidbinding to use rather than Surgebinding (which I'm of the opinion will use death as a central point of power). 

I agree.  I think Nalan is either duping Szeth or is just crazy and wrong.  I lean towards the crazy though.

• Chaos locked this topic