Is it possible to be more windrunners ?

Malatium

I was wondering that myself.  Has anyone ever asked Brandon if all Radiants of the same order will necessarily bond the same type of spren? Does every Windrunner bond a Highspren, or do they bond a spren and then get powers based on their order (which I would assume largely comes from a Cognitive perception or ideal of some type), but the two aren't necessarily always the same for every Radiant?

jW

I was wondering that myself.  Has anyone ever asked Brandon if all Radiants of the same order will necessarily bond the same type of spren? Does every Windrunner bond a Highspren, or do they bond a spren and then get powers based on their order (which I would assume largely comes from a Cognitive perception or ideal of some type), but the two aren't necessarily always the same for every Radiant?

jW

Yep, question 26 on this page. Each order has its own type of Spren, and Brandon specifically cites all Windrunners bonding Honourspren. (Highspren were theorised for Skybreakers iirc)

edit: And yeah, it's possible with the Stormfather being bonded to a Bondsmith now that other Honourspren might decide to find Radiants of their own without his discouragement. We don't know how much of Syl going alone was due to him and how much due to other Honourspren having the same opinions as the Stormfather though, so I wouldn't expect anything near their former number any time soon.

Edited by Ari

My best guess... 

Kal will have squires as did all Windrunners. Historically squires were young nobles in training to become knights themselves.

I would think that since Honorspren are so choosy, they would naturally gravitate to squires of existing Windrunners. So Bridge 4 may quickly become a sourcing ground for new Windrunners with Kaladin just being the first. As more squires become Windrunners and raise up their own squads of squires, then Honorspren can start becoming even more choosy about which of the squires they choose to bond. So there will likely be a fast progression of Windrunners (relatively speaking), that will then slow as the number of bonded Windrunners increases. 

There doesn't have to be, certainly, but there were before, so it's theoretically possible. Plus, it'd be awesome to see an army of Windrunners (10-15 would be nearly unstoppable again most enemies, but probably just right against some potential enemies we may see).

jW

Why do we think there will be multiple Windrunners?

Because I doubt a Desolation that was amped up as the worst of all times will have any chance of being stopped, or at least mitigated, by only ten Radiants. And the Windrunners were a numerous order, so it only makes sense that they, and not the Bondsmiths for exemple, will gain more numbers first.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Why do we think there will be multiple Windrunners?

Because Brandon said we would see multiple Radiants per order as soon as book 3 and because those orders were oce comprised of hundreds of knight back in the day. It is highly unlikely humanity would go into a Desolation with only one Windrunner: we are thus bond to see others, potentially picked out of Kaladin's pool of squire or elsewhere. 

The Radiants are back. Sprens were holding on, but now we can wager they'll start to bond people more actively. 

I for one would like to see the difference between the members of a same order: it is bond to be interesting, though those additional Radiants are likely to be side characters.

Also, we have to think of the second half of SA which happens 10 to 15 years later. Kaladin won't have a major role in that sequence, providing he is still alive. Surely we will see plenty of additional Windrunners then, though I doubt we'll get another major character who is a Windrunner.

When we think, what the orders can do and what function that could have, we can assume, that at least all four orders on the right side of the diagram (Windrunners, Skybreakers, Dustbringers, Edgedancers) as well as Stonewardens and probably Willshapers are orders with many members.

Example (battle): Stonewardens march together, to win ground; Windrunners hit in the middle of the enemy army, shortly followed by the Skybreakers with an even greater impact. Dustbringers cover the field with fire and melting rocks, while Edgedancer elegantly dance through the lines of both armys, healing and killing, depending on which side of the batllefield they are. Each function has a far greater effect with multiple radiants doing it.

I had a thought that since Syl describes shardblades as spren who are only a live for a little while that it might be possible for them to become completely resurrected. We already know that there is something left of the spren in there so who's to say that with the proper method that we couldn't see the return of these once dead spren.

I had a thought that since Syl describes shardblades as spren who are only a live for a little while that it might be possible for them to become completely resurrected. We already know that there is something left of the spren in there so who's to say that with the proper method that we couldn't see the return of these once dead spren.

This has been abundantly discussed in the past. Many individuals have asked questions pertaining the possibility of reviving a dead-Blade. Here is a resume of what Brandon had to say on the matter in the last year and a half:

1) It would be extremely difficult as, by being betrayed, the dead-Blade had the equivalent of their hard-drive being ripped of. You would need to figure out a way to replace it.

2) In nearly all cases, you would need the original knights to resurrect the dead-Blades.

3) If someone were the say the right oaths and do "something more", it is not completely totally impossible to succeed as reviving one of those dead-Blade, but it would also be incredibly hard to do so.

All in all, while he has always left that door open for the possibility of reviving dead-Blades, he has also made sure to state it would be a nearly impossible feat. Not completely impossible, but nearly. 

It is thus highly improbable the dead-Blades will be massively resurrected in order to produce more knights. It may happen, once, but not more than that.

Pattern actually mentions that the Cryptics have tried resurrecting them:

"We have tried to restore them. It does not work. Mmmm. Perhaps if their knights still lived, something could be done . . ." 

He says they would need the original knights to do it. Since a dead/mindless spren can't bond a new knight it's probably not possible to restore them. Of course there might be another way but i assume the Cryptics, who are apparently the scholars among the spren, have tried everything they thought might help.

Edit: Took too long to find the quote, maxal was faster :/

Edited by Phezh

Pattern actually mentions that the Cryptics have tried resurrecting them:

"We have tried to restore them. It does not work. Mmmm. Perhaps if their knights still lived, something could be done . . ." 

He says they would need the original knights to do it. Since a dead/mindless spren can't bond a new knight it's probably not possible to restore them. Of course there might be another way but i assume the Cryptics, who are apparently the scholars among the spren, have tried everything they thought might help.

Read my previous post: there is a way, but it is a very hard one to figure out. The Cryptics likely fail because they didn't have a "compatible replacement knight the dead-spren would accept" to take over the dying bond, which I suspect is one of the condition.

Massive revival is unlikely to happen.

Does anyone know if all honor spren are "female"? It would be cool to see an honor spren that looks like a guy.

We saw only Syl from the Honorspren's "race", it could be impossible to say. The only type of spren we saw in set are the Cryptics but it's quite hard to understand if there was all male or some female.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic