Trilogy 2 and 3

lordofsoup

Actually I'd say that the first three were mid-apocalyptic. It's just that the apocalypse was happening really, really slowly.

The one thing I think we can safely say won't happen is a prequel to the first trilogy.

This. In fact, you could say that the apocalypse began when Preservation sacrificed himself to imprison Ruin, became really obvious for 1024 years after the Lord Ruler's ascensions, got into full steam when Ruin was released, and only ended with Sazed's ascension.

Also, the second trilogy will be set at a similar level of technology to today, and the third will be set at a futuristic/sci-fi level, with space ships and whatnot.

I just wrapped my head around a modern-day setting mistborn, and now you're telling me that there's going to be a future sci-fi mistborn?

The problem with allomancers in the modern day is that with technology allomantic powers would become almost irrelevant. You can already see the trend beginning in the Alloy of Lay. Everyone can become coinshots with the invention of the gun, and soothers and rioters' powers can be nulled by aluminum in hat lining. I mean, will something like pewter dragging really be necessary when everyone has cars?

However my concerns were relieved about the 2nd trilogy when Brandon said that it was going to be about an elite SWAT-esque team of allomancers. Because only in a combat setting would allomantic powers give a clear edge. Perhaps a lurcher, for example, could burn iron and see through a wall to see if hostages are clear.

But if the 3rd trilogy is going to be set in the future, would even the lurcher be necessary when everyone has X-ray specs? If everyone has rockets and ray guns, then everyone could have technology that mimics allomantic powers.

So far every Sanderson book I have read has been great and so I trust him to do something interesting in these books that I'm not expecting, but for right now, I can't really see how he is going to work it out.

That is a very, very small sampling of the large diversity of Allomantic application.

Because aluminum is so useful, it's become extremely expensive, making the aluminum bullet that Wayne found a big indicator of the wealth behind the Vanishers. And only noble houses can really afford aluminum lined hats, and then not a lot of them.

You forget that cars are very limited application, restricted entirely to roads (at least in a modern day setting), where pewter dragging, and other forms of allomantic travel, can go just about anywhere.

Remember, a coinshot can not only shoot metal, but can make bullets shoot better and harder and can deflect them.

X-ray specs is something that really doesn't happen that often, even in sci-fi. Scanning would be a better word, and even that isn't as flexible and applicable in a situation as something like tin.

Are the planets each book in the cosmere take place on part of individual universes separate from each other? Or are they planets in the same solar system, galaxy, or universe? And whether or not they are, do you think the futuristic trilogy will include space travel?

Are the planets each book in the cosmere take place on part of individual universes separate from each other? Or are they planets in the same solar system, galaxy, or universe? And whether or not they are, do you think the futuristic trilogy will include space travel?

Well, we know that the planet of The Silence Divine (a later, standalone cosmere book) is in the same solar system as Roshar. So I would absolutely say that they are not in individual universes; that much is certain.

• Chaos locked this topic