Moshi moshi! Hello, forum. :D

ExMachina

Salutations, 17th Sharders!

I became a fan of Mr. Sanderson last summer after reading the Mistborn books and have devoured most of his Cosmere works since then... Mind you, I didn't realize there was a Cosmere until I stumbled upon this site about a year ago. :P I've been lurking since, often re-reading Brandon's novels with enhanced appreciation thanks to the amazing theories and details brought up in these forums.

I've enjoyed reading all the discussions that take place here, but don't have much to say in response which is why I didn't join until now... I do love drawing though and hopefully I can participate through art instead. Words hard, me make picture instead.

The Way of Kings is my favorite of Brandon's work (though I also really dig The Emperor's Soul) and I am both thrilled and dismayed that I have gotten in on the ground floor with the Stormlight Archive. There's nothing better than a huge multi-book series by an incredible author but the wait between each entry is going to be so hard. The Words of Radiance delay... it hurts, haha.

Looking forward to chattin' with you all.

Wow. I saw your Renarin drawing somewhere, and I think I assumed I had seen everything else you have done for the Cosmere. Never have I been so wrong... I just went through your Tumblr, and I am pretty pleasantly surprised. Both you and Botanica Xu have very similar idea for Shallan, and something in in this image of Shallan that kicks my primal protective instinct into an overdrive. Kicks it hard. I now want to date a drawing. Congratulations, you two have probably ruined my life!

But other than Shallan, everything else is pretty stunning. Jasnah in particular is incredible, and this Kaladin is just perfect. Angry Szeth here is a little weird to me (I think it's the eyebrows), but the middle on is spot on; I think you got the child-like look on his face, which is probably his most distinguishing feature.

Now you just need to forfeit everything else in your life and just drawdrawdraw!

So glad to have you over here! One by one, I will drag our tumblr friends over here. We'll get the admins throwihg #CFSBF around in no time! You're so awesome!

Edit: Also, whatever Argent said about Shallan is pretty much how I feel about your drawings of Renarin too. This one of him cleaning his glasses? Oh no, Renarin feels everywhere. Pictures of him being adorable are my secret weakness...

Edited by FeatherWriter

@Argent: Really glad that you found the rest of my Cosmere fanart and enjoyed it! And yeah, I'm a big fan of Botanica's Shallan, I'm sure some aspects of her interpretation rubbed off on my drawings of the character.

Szeth is such an interesting character to draw and I agree that those sketches I did aren't all that successful... I'm still working out how to reconcile the childlike facial features, his actual age, and the strong emotions he experiences. I do want to do a portrait of him once I figure that out, heh.

And believe me, I wish I could forfeit everything and just drawdrawdraw... but I keep having to do these pesky things like work and eat, alas. ;)

@FeatherWriter: #CFSBF indeed  :D

Congratulations, you two have probably ruined my life!

Also, whatever Argent said about Shallan is pretty much how I feel about your drawings of Renarin too. This one of him cleaning his glasses? Oh no, Renarin feels everywhere. Pictures of him being adorable are my secret weakness...

Hahaha, I'm sorry! Spread some of that blame to Brandon though! I don't think the drawings would give nearly as many feels if not for the original appeal of the characters depicted. :P

That's one of the greatest (first world) tragedies of our age - artists create such incredibly wonderful things in their free time, work that complements and compliments other creative fields (such as literature), and then get stuck at a job that, at best, is only marginally relevant to what they want to do. And even then, pay tends to be... suboptimal. 

Also, artists have to eat. That's plain not fair.

• Chaos locked this topic