Prediction: Szeth vs Kaladin.

Guest Alaxel

I am definitely in the camp "Kaladin will get a Shardspear" with you, Aether. I like to think that Syl's problem with Shardblades is that the people who have them didn't "earn" them so to speak? So if Kaladin goes through all the KR protocol and says all the Ideals and such, he'd then be worthy of wielding a shard weapon.

I am right there with you in thinking that Kaladin will get a Shardspear.

Personally, I think that Shard weapons and armor are initially formed by individual Knights Radiant and suit the users. It wouldn't surprise me to see Kaladin with a Shardspear and in a lighter armor than plate by the end of the series, because that is what he is most used to/comfortable with. I could see the weapon and armor appearing once the last of the ideals for the particular order is said (which would make for a POWERFUL scene to watch), displaying for everyone to see that that person is a full fledged KR. The scene where Dalinar saw the armor of the KRs glowing with runes could be those KR who formed their own weapon/armor and were fully attuned to it. The glowing armor would also explain the name "Knights Radiant".

Furthermore, I think that Szeth's Blade is that third category. My best guess is that, in addition to Honor Blades and Shardblades, the third category conveys the abilities of specific orders of KR upon the Blade's user. That would explain how Szeth is able to have the abilities of a Windrunner without a Nahel bond, while also explaining the limitations, both in power and ability, that he has as a Windrunner.

I think something completely different will come from Szeth's trip to the shattered plains.  At the end of the book during Szeth's meeting with Taravangian, he had a thought after learning that the King was killing all the people in the hidden room by draining their blood:

Or I could kill him, Szeth thought, I could stop this.  He nearly did it.  But honor prevailed, for the moment.

I'm not exactly sure what it means to be "Truthless of Shinovar" but I think this indicates that major changes are occurring in Szeth.  I think the confrontation between Szeth and Kaladin will not result in the death of either man and that somehow, Szeth will join with them after achieving "Truth" and will be involved with helping Kaladin train his troops. The Almighty tells Dalinar that the Knights Radiant must rise again and I believe these will come from Kaladin's bridgemen but Szeth is the only living person who knows many of the techniques they will need to learn.  Jasnah knows some of the other techniques.

During Dalinar's final vision sequence in the book, he is told that he might convince Odium to select a champion and that a this might work well for him.  I think there is a chance that Szeth may be chosen to face Odium's champion. Remember, Szeth has the dark globe which is probably a Dawnshard which was mentioned as an important factor in the same sequence with the Almighty. 

There is also something about the Nahel Bond associated with all of this as well.  Is this the bond between the sprens and the Knights Radiant that gave them each particular type of power?  Does Szeth have a bonded spren?  Should he?  Is this related to being Truthless?  Jasnah mentions something about this to Shallan when she asks about the symbol-heads ("Suffice it to say that each Radiant's abilities were tied to the spren").. This is all coming together as Jasnah, Shallan and Szeth head for the shattered plains set to meet Dalinar, Kaladin, Syl and the others (Syl may play a very important role in all of this).

D

Edited by dilburt

There is also something about the Nahel Bond associated with all of this as well.  Is this the bond between the sprens and the Knights Radiant that gave them each particular type of power?  Does Szeth have a bonded spren?  Should he?  Is this related to being Truthless?  Jasnah mentions something about this to Shallan when she asks about the symbol-heads ("Suffice it to say that each Radiant's abilities were tied to the spren").. This is all coming together as Jasnah, Shallan and Szeth head for the shattered plains set to meet Dalinar, Kaladin, Syl and the others (Syl may play a very important role in all of this).

We know Szeth doesn't have a bonded spren and isn't on the path to becoming a radiant from WoB

Source (Q4 - I should be able to do direct link to the question but my database fu is lacking)

We know Szeth doesn't have a bonded spren and isn't on the path to becoming a radiant from WoB

Source (Q4 - I should be able to do direct link to the question but my database fu is lacking)

I'm not sure that link referred to the interview you intended but I have seen a statement in one of Brandon's interviews that what's happening to Szeth is different from what's happening to Kaladin.  I've yet to figure out where Szeth's power comes from if it's not from the spren (I don't think there are any spren in Shinovar).  

However, this was only a musing related to the Szeth vs. Kaladin question - it seems to me that both Szeth and Kaladin are far too important to the story for either of them to be killed in a confrontation when Szeth reaches the shattered plains.  It seems that Szeth will need to join with "the good guys" at some point for the reasons I mentioned.

D

The interview is correct, but the question number is not.  

Q12

VIPER

This will probably be RAFO'd, but: Is Szeth bound to a spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. He's not. Haha, I didn't RAFO that.

Edit:
There are several theories about how Szeth gets his powers including that they come from his sword (which in itself is subject to many theories about how it could do that, many seem to like the idea of it being an Honourblade, I don't but it is so far as I can tell the most popular thoery at the moment).
Edited by dj26792

Q12

Edit:
There are several theories about how Szeth gets his powers including that they come from his sword (which in itself is subject to many theories about how it could do that, many seem to like the idea of it being an Honourblade, I don't but it is so far as I can tell the most popular thoery at the moment).

Thanks!  I should have read down a few more questions - that answer is as clear as it gets.

At least I'm not the only one trying to figure out where Szeth's powers come from.  Personally, I think he's one of the most interesting character's Brandon has come up with.  His characterization is screaming for redemption.  ;-)

D

Q12

Edit:

Thanks!  I should have read down a few more questions - that answer is as clear as it gets.

At least I'm not the only one trying to figure out where Szeth's powers come from.  Personally, I think he's one of the most interesting character's Brandon has come up with.  His characterization is screaming for redemption.  ;-)

D

Dilburt, if you respond to a quote inside of the quote it makes it difficult to locate your comment in relation to the original quote. It would be more readable if you would type your response to the quote under the quote as I did here.

Dilburt, if you respond to a quote inside of the quote it makes it difficult to locate your comment in relation to the original quote. It would be more readable if you would type your response to the quote under the quote as I did here.

Strange, I'm not sure how that happened without me noticing when I posted it.  Shouldn't play games and post at the same time perhaps.   :lol:

Any theories on how a shardspear would work. Specifically the butt/shaft would it be hard or would it "cut", would a blow from it have the same effect as a shardblade. I would assume that it is hard but that would make it far less effective the a shardblade.

Any theories on how a shardspear would work. Specifically the butt/shaft would it be hard or would it "cut", would a blow from it have the same effect as a shardblade. I would assume that it is hard but that would make it far less effective the a shardblade.

I really don't like the 'shardspear' theory. Assuming one were to work the same way as a shardblade (as you describe) it would be far inferior to a shardblade, in some ways worse than a regular spear... Spears are mostly thrusting weapons not slashing. With a shardblade a dozen armoured people can be killed in an instant with a single wide slash. With a spear equivalent you could kill 1, and only if you hit them right in their spine. And if you hit somewhere else it'll just disable that part of their body, whereas with an actual spear a stab to the femoral artery for instance will take out their leg as well as cause a lot of blood loss, death if they don't get it treated.

While the idea of Kaladin getting a unique weapon that he already has mastered is cool in theory, in practice a shardspear would really suck.

I really don't like the 'shardspear' theory. Assuming one were to work the same way as a shardblade (as you describe) it would be far inferior to a shardblade, in some ways worse than a regular spear... Spears are mostly thrusting weapons not slashing. With a shardblade a dozen armoured people can be killed in an instant with a single wide slash. With a spear equivalent you could kill 1, and only if you hit them right in their spine. And if you hit somewhere else it'll just disable that part of their body, whereas with an actual spear a stab to the femoral artery for instance will take out their leg as well as cause a lot of blood loss, death if they don't get it treated.

While the idea of Kaladin getting a unique weapon that he already has mastered is cool in theory, in practice a shardspear would really suck.

To be honest I think a shard spear would be more awesome if it was more effective at not killing everything it touches.  After all defeating someone does not have to automatically mean you kill them.  In fact I think that in many cases shard blades are overkill and overused to the point of simplifying one of the most terrible of all things; killing.  I do think that if the shaft of the spear had more concussive effect that would be kind of cool especially if that would allow it to damage plate better. 

Again though killing should be the last option not the Only option.

It should also be said that when most of us talk about a "Shardspear" on this forum, what we are really talking about is a "Shardglaive" or something to that effect. This would give the Shard the cutting ability you felt it lacked, while retaining the precision and longer reach of what Kaladin is used to fight with.

please keep in mind, thouse shard were never created to kill ppl, they were made to fight the monsters of the desolation.

i dont see many advantages of a spear like shard weapon, as soon as you would puncture something farther then the "shard spearhead" youre weapon would get stuck badly.

keep in mind you fight huge much stronger creatures, which would move with that spear sticking in them.

you would have to summon the spear again after each strike which does not kill or disable youre oponent.

even if they just fall down, you would have all their weight blocking youre spear.

---

im actualy no longer sure this encounter will actualy happen. i guess that the desolation will change the mindset of szeth.

hes going to abandon his "stone" and go a different way, maybe home to warn his ppl.

i dont think he will join forces with the alethi, he was just part of an interlude, which somehow tells me that he will not become more.

this encounter would be much more then a interlude point of view.

i dont think we have any interaction between interlude characters and the main ones yet. the point of having interludes in the book itselfe would get a bit silly if thouse characters would have more impact on the book then the none interlude point of views.

so it would be more or less wrong to have szeth chapters as part of the interludes, when he kills any of the main point of view characters.

if the hole spear would work like a shardblade, there would be no difference to a sword.

so a spear is useless as a shard, because it needs to be summoned again after each strike, or get traped in the bodies.

In a straight up, no surprise fight szeth would win hands down.  Kaladin has access to more raw power than szeth but doesn't have anywhere near the mastery of it.  Szeth walks through shardbearers without slowing down.

That being said, in the book, I believe if they fought Kaladin would win.  The only reason I believe this is the surprise factor. Szeth will attack Kaladin like he would any other dark-eye spearman.  Szeth would be glowing, Kaladin would suck up all of Szeth's stormlight stored in gems, Szeth would be shocked, Kaladin would follow with spear to the heart. Game over.

Duel where both combatants know the abilities of the other: Szeth Wins

Actual Combat: Kaladin Wins

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic